Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Yeshivat Netivot Montessori

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 1:58 pm
Hi,
Can anyone tell me a little about this school? My husband and I went to see the school a few weeks ago and my husband loved the Montessori style of teaching. I, on the other hand, had trouble wrapping my head around the Montessori style. Any information that anyone can give me about this school would be greatly appreciated.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 2:50 pm
We love Netivot! Do you have specific questions?

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 4:23 pm
I don't know about Netivot directly, but we send to a frum Montessori also. Our school sent teachers to Netivot for training. We love it! Which aspects of the Montessori approach give you pause?

Also, if you want to learn more about Montessori generally, several of Maria Montessori's writings are available as free Kindle downloads. I have not read through them cover to cover but have found it interesting to skim through and read certain parts.

There is also a great contemporary book called "The Science Behind the Genius" which examines research bearing on certain principles underlying the Montessori approach.

Finally, on infomontessori.com, you can browse through some of the common "works" and how they are used to teach children.

Good luck with your decision!

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 7:18 pm
amother wrote:
We love Netivot! Do you have specific questions?

So my questions would be a) have you seen the experience for transfer students? My daughter is going into 3rd grade. When we saw the school, they basically said that as long as they feel the child would succeed in the school, they would except them.
b) are there any types of children you would not recommend Netivot for?
c) There does not seem to be a very large student body. Are there fewer opportunities because it's a small school? For example, lack of team competitions, gym, sports, etc....

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 8:06 pm
amother wrote:
So my questions would be a) have you seen the experience for transfer students? My daughter is going into 3rd grade. When we saw the school, they basically said that as long as they feel the child would succeed in the school, they would except them.
b) are there any types of children you would not recommend Netivot for?
c) There does not seem to be a very large student body. Are there fewer opportunities because it's a small school? For example, lack of team competitions, gym, sports, etc....

a) Without going into too many details, my child didn't start at the very beginning either. It was fine. They have experience with this, and know how to help kids make the transition.

b) I'm not sure what sort of child would not do well, but I can tell you what sort of parent would not thrive. A third-grader at Netivot will have very little homework or testing or awards. If you need those things, this might not be a good fit. Classroom observation and teacher conferences give you the opportunity to see how the system works for your child without the usual letter grades and other artifacts.

c) Do other elementary schools in the area have lots of competitions and teams? Grade school seems kind of young to start all that. I'm not sure what the school is doing for phys ed currently (this has varied over the years), but Netivot kids do lots of sports and other activities outside of school. They have ample opportunities for active play. I no longer have a child there, but in the past there have been after-school activities of various kinds. We didn't feel anything important was missing that would have been better at any other Jewish day school nearby (they are all sorely lacking in music education, for example).

Anything else? Feel free to ask.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 12:39 am
amother wrote:
a) Without going into too many details, my child didn't start at the very beginning either. It was fine. They have experience with this, and know how to help kids make the transition.

b) I'm not sure what sort of child would not do well, but I can tell you what sort of parent would not thrive. A third-grader at Netivot will have very little homework or testing or awards. If you need those things, this might not be a good fit. Classroom observation and teacher conferences give you the opportunity to see how the system works for your child without the usual letter grades and other artifacts.

c) Do other elementary schools in the area have lots of competitions and teams? Grade school seems kind of young to start all that. I'm not sure what the school is doing for phys ed currently (this has varied over the years), but Netivot kids do lots of sports and other activities outside of school. They have ample opportunities for active play. I no longer have a child there, but in the past there have been after-school activities of various kinds. We didn't feel anything important was missing that would have been better at any other Jewish day school nearby (they are all sorely lacking in music education, for example).

Anything else? Feel free to ask.

Thank you so much for answering my questions. This was definitely helpful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children