Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What's the bare minimum?
1  2  Next

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 7:13 pm
I'm going through a hard time now and don't have the physical or emotional energy to clean like I do every year. What's the bare minimum according to Halacha that needs to be done?

Kumphort

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 7:23 pm
Use this as a guide
http://www.thekosherchannel.co......html

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 7:26 pm
amother wrote:
I'm going through a hard time now and don't have the physical or emotional energy to clean like I do every year. What's the bare minimum according to Halacha that needs to be done?

Sweep up house.
Kitchen is where you should concentrate.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 7:33 pm
Thank you kumphort that was very helpful!

sky

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 7:51 pm
sweep and vacum house.
Crumbs less then a kizayis don't worry.
Don't move furniture, fridge, stove. Anything heavy that wasn't moved in 30 days can stay as is.
Spray chametz areas with ammonia when cleaning so anything left behind is disgusting.
Close up all cabinets and areas not using (you can do a visual check for any chametz larger then kizayis).
Make list of all areas with chametz and calculate value and sell through rav.
Clean kitchen well - a bit more complicated - oven, stove, sink, fridge.
Check pockets of clothing wearing on yom tov
Wipe down door knobs and phone
Close up toy closets if applicable.
Don't bring books and sefarim to the table on pesach.
the front page of the Hamodia Inyan had a fantastic list of the bare minimum.

Seas

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 9:04 pm
Discuss it with a rav. Every competent rav has many such shailos every year, and they have the experience and knowledge to guide you.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 9:09 pm
Rav Scheinberg ztzl is your friend

See the article in the most recent Lakewood Shopper

( lakewoodshopper.com)

Ruchel

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 7:05 am
sky wrote:
sweep and vacum house.
Crumbs less then a kizayis don't worry.
Don't move furniture, fridge, stove. Anything heavy that wasn't moved in 30 days can stay as is.
Spray chametz areas with ammonia when cleaning so anything left behind is disgusting.
Close up all cabinets and areas not using (you can do a visual check for any chametz larger then kizayis).
Make list of all areas with chametz and calculate value and sell through rav.
Clean kitchen well - a bit more complicated - oven, stove, sink, fridge.
Check pockets of clothing wearing on yom tov
Wipe down door knobs and phone
Close up toy closets if applicable.
Don't bring books and sefarim to the table on pesach.

the front page of the Hamodia Inyan had a fantastic list of the bare minimum.

Great list, but those in black are quite not normative and not something OP should bother with!!

essie14

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 7:49 am
http://rabbisblog.brsonline.or.....ions/

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 9:01 am
Ruchel wrote:
Great list, but those in black are quite not normative and not something OP should bother with!!

Most people who have landlines have a phone in the kitchen. It gets full of actual chometz residue (think: picking up phone while in the middle of kneading challah or dipping schnitzel in breadcrumbs). That phone is not being put away and it's going to be used while preparing food on Pesach, too. The phone in the bedroom can stay grimy and slimy with hand lotion for all anyone cares, but that kitchen phone does need to be cleaned.

sky

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 9:41 am
I meant door knobs near the kitchen. Mine are definetly dirty - don't want to touch those and then pesach food when cooking.
Also phones I hold while cooking and put down on the counter. Want to make sure its clean - not scrub - just wipe down with ammonia.
Board games that are played while eating cake and cookies or on a table with food should probably not be played with on Pesach unless cleaned and checked. Same with books.
If toys and books are never near food then it isn't an issue.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 10:30 am
The bare minimum is to get rid of the chametz in your home. That's it. Dirt & dust is not chametz. The dirt on your doorknobs is not considered chametz.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 11:41 am
zaq wrote:
Most people who have landlines have a phone in the kitchen. It gets full of actual chometz residue (think: picking up phone while in the middle of kneading challah or dipping schnitzel in breadcrumbs). That phone is not being put away and it's going to be used while preparing food on Pesach, too. The phone in the bedroom can stay grimy and slimy with hand lotion for all anyone cares, but that kitchen phone does need to be cleaned.

Kitchen phone? Picking up while doing challa? This is foreign... I have landline. It's in my living room. As is my parents. Grandparents.

I also don't have anything full of lotion. Or books with crumbs in them, or anything edible on my toys. And it's not like we're clean freaks, but an edible coating of chametz? Nope.

I discover lifestyles everyday!!

Seas

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 12:03 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Kitchen phone? Picking up while doing challa? This is foreign... I have landline. It's in my living room. As is my parents. Grandparents.

I also don't have anything full of lotion. Or books with crumbs in them, or anything edible on my toys. And it's not like we're clean freaks, but an edible coating of chametz? Nope.

Which is why giving halachic advice here is inappropriate. OP should ask her rav, who will be familiar with her halachic norms, and who can find out exactly where she does or doesn't use chametz all year round.

These kind of shailos are standard for any competent rav.

cm

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 12:08 pm
Ruchel wrote:

Well, there's lotion on my cell phone right now... Considering how many times a day I need to soothe my dry skin, it's inevitable, but I clean the touch screen when I notice it is smeared.

In American homes, the phone (landline) is usually in the kitchen, possibly with extensions in a study or bedroom, but rarely in the living room. Nowadays, however, many forego the landline altogether.

I agree about the toys and books. I am hardly a neat freak, but food belongs in the kitchen and dining room. No one tracks food around the house. If you read at the table, you don't close it with crumbs inside...It's just basic sanitation and sense.

For everyone who is panicking about Pesach, make a new rule: food at the table! When your children are excused, they wash hands and go play. Your toychests and every surface in your house will be so much more sanitary, year round.

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 12:46 pm
sky wrote:

Board games that are played while eating cake and cookies or on a table with food should probably not be played with on Pesach unless cleaned and checked. Same with books.
If toys and books are never near food then it isn't an issue.

Make your lives easy, ladies. Don't allow reading material, toys or games at the table, period. Don't allow snacking where games are being played. There's no reason for anyone to be eating while playing. If they get hungry, they can go to the kitchen and snack there, then resume playing or reading or whatever they're doing. If your dining room is also your living room and your dining table also a desk, games table and photo-album-perusal station, clear the table and cover it with a clean cloth or sheet of plastic before laying anything on it that doesn't have to do with preparing, serving or consuming food.

yogabird

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 1:04 pm
Zaq, enforcing those kinds of eating restrictions on my family all year round would make my life a lot harder, not easier. We all munch while we read books, the kids love to bring toys into the kitchen while I cook...

Marion

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 1:10 pm
yogabird wrote:
Zaq, enforcing those kinds of eating restrictions on my family all year round would make my life a lot harder, not easier. We all munch while we read books, the kids love to bring toys into the kitchen while I cook...

They can be taught. Toys don't come into the kitchen. We don't eat around books. Books don't come to the table. Shabbos we clear the table, change the cloth, then take out games.

Stars

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 1:44 pm
Marion wrote:
They can be taught. Toys don't come into the kitchen. We don't eat around books. Books don't come to the table. Shabbos we clear the table, change the cloth, then take out games.

Not possible when you have a tiny house. Kitchen is in the center, open layout. Play area is right next to the table. Shabbos meals sometimes take long and kids "run off" (more like slide off their chairs and the toys are right there).

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 1:51 pm
Marion wrote:

It can be taught, if you want to teach it. Not everyone agrees that its an optimal, or even a good, rule.

The thing that makes Sunday the best day of the week is lingering over breakfast, a cup of coffee, and a book.

Board games and popcorn just plain go together.

We don't leave things coated in crumbs, but there may well be a few particles here and there. But I'm not going to stop enjoying 51 weeks of the year, in deference to 1.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics