Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby carrier suitable for infants around the house

Laughing Bag!

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 8:11 pm
I am thinking of getting a baby carrier for my baby who tends to have his hours of crying and not letting me get things done. I should need something comfortable for a newborn, which won't hurt my back that I can use around the house. Something easy to get on and off, I don't want it to be a pain in the neck since the crying baby is a pain in and of itself.
Any suggestions? What types where to find them, I'm in Brooklyn is there a local store I should visit to try things?

yogabird

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 8:32 pm
I like the baby ktan for 0-6 months.

gamanit

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 8:38 pm
I have this one and I'm very happy with it
https://smile.amazon.com/Infan.....;th=1
It has a bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it it takes less than 30 seconds to put on and position baby.

ProudMommy3

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 9:38 pm
I have the Beko Gemini & have been really happy with it. It has a strap that goes around your hips so that a lot of your baby's weight is being carried by your hips & not your upper back (like many other brands that only cross in the back.)

Laughing Bag!

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 9:40 pm
yogabird wrote:
I like the baby ktan for 0-6 months.

this seems interesting, how is it on your back? and how do I know what size to get? How can it hold a newborn safe and snug if it can also be adapted for older baby I'm afraid of dropping the baby through the fabric or something.

Laughing Bag!

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 9:45 pm
gamanit wrote:
I have this one and I'm very happy with it
https://smile.amazon.com/Infan.....;th=1
It has a bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it it takes less than 30 seconds to put on and position baby.

I like the price but isn't it a whole hassle to get it off untying all the knots and everything? How is it on the back?
I have a baby b'jorn at home but it puts a terrible strain on my back and I dont really like the way the baby fits in it but I got to vacuum and wash dishes.

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 9:50 pm
I was never successful with babywearing (tried 4. Didn't work) so no advice there. Gl.

Just a little something to be aware of, baby carriers can cause DDH - Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip. In simple form, hip, dislocation which can be very painful for your baby. Sometimes it is not painful at all but still can be very damaging and needs special care.
The way to avoid this injury, is to make sure the carrier is keeping your babys legs spread apart like a frog. Any carrier that encourages (no proper support) or even worse, manipulates your baby to keep its legs straight can damage the hips.
As a side note, when swaddling babies tightly, make sure their legs can easily move around, but get the arms snug and the baby is just as happy and safe too.
I've seen mothers with newborns with carriers with no support. They just don't know.

Mazal tov on your new baby

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Mar 28 2017, 9:57 pm
I didn't like the baby ktan. I sold it. I like the boba. I used it for an older baby though. I think there's an insert for newborns now.

ProudMommy3

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 4:14 am
The beko has adjustable snaps to spread older babies hips apart to avoid he hip problem mentioned above. You keep the carrier narrow for newborns, but when they get to be a little bit older (can't remember...maybe 4ish months?), you snap the hip pieces wide so it spreads their legs.

behappy2

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 8:29 am
I liked the infantino newborn I used it lot till my baby was five months. I got it at Walmart for $25.

gamanit

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 8:40 am
Laughing Bag! wrote:
I like the price but isn't it a whole hassle to get it off untying all the knots and everything? How is it on the back?
I have a baby b'jorn at home but it puts a terrible strain on my back and I dont really like the way the baby fits in it but I got to vacuum and wash dishes.

No, it takes less than a minute to take off, unless you're in a place where you have to be careful not to get the ends of the sash muddy or something. I found it distributed the weight evenly and the baby sat comfortably too. There are lots of youtube clips on this carrier.

lfab

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 8:44 am
I love my baby bjorn. It's been a lifesaver. I find that if I don't pull the straps tight enough then it hurts my back but if fitted properly then it's great. I used it with my last baby until she was about a year (although once she learned to crawl I used it more when we were out and about not so much around the house).

Miri7

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 9:05 am
This is one item I found it really useful to try out in the store or test drive with a friend who knows how to use it properly. There are even banywearing clubs in the US that can be a good resource. It's really important that you position the baby properly.

I like the baby wraps like the Moby but a bit stretchier. I bought mine in Israel.

Mine was a lifesaver for all my kids but especially the colicky ones.

Laughing Bag!

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 11:39 am
lfab wrote:
I love my baby bjorn. It's been a lifesaver. I find that if I don't pull the straps tight enough then it hurts my back but if fitted properly then it's great. I used it with my last baby until she was about a year (although once she learned to crawl I used it more when we were out and about not so much around the house).

You have the original or the newer ones that have another strap around the waist? I have at home the original and it really hurts my back.

queenert

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 11:43 am
I love my ktan and use it way past 6 months.
Easier than a wrap, more comfy (for you and baby) than a structured.
I would try it on for size and read the guidelines. I originally got a medium b.c I wanted dh to be able to wear it, but it really was too big so I exchanged it. And he has squeezed into it ..
I had a Bjorn and they are totally not supportive enough.
(And btw, the hip thing is a little oversensationalized. It's only an issue for babies that have a genetic predisposition...)

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Mar 29 2017, 1:31 pm
I loved the Boba carrier! has a really easy and comfortable newborn insert that comes with it. We used it up until my daughter was almost 2 (nor around the house, but in general). It's similar to the ergo carrier, but much, much more newborn friendly.

Also, hip dysplasia is not only genetic, it is also environmental. A lot of the enivronmental factors are in the womb, like position in the womb. For example breech babies are much more likely to have it. Also babies with torticollis are much more likely to have it. But if your baby has a borderline case which could self correct (even if you don't know about), a non-hip-friendly carrier can push the hip joint in to a problematic angle.

Boba is good for the hips too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics