Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Do you eat Splenda...

Do you eat Splenda....?
I don't eat Splenda when I'm pregnant or nursing.  
 12%  [ 2 ]
I don't eat Splenda when I'm pregnant.  
 12%  [ 2 ]
I eat Splenda when I'm pregnant/nursing. Why not?  
 75%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 16

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 12:51 am
Do you 'restrict' your eating habits depending on your 'stage' of life? I'm wondering if I'm the only one out there that doesn't eat artificial sweeteners when my baby is feeding off of me. I was told it's not the best option. Meanwhile, how in the world am I supposed to lose weight when I can't even properly diet!?!? (I know this answer technically, I just wish I could see quick results so I'd stay motivated.)
and why am I trying so hard when I see other people that aren't "makpid" like I am, and their children seem just fine?!

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 1:30 am
I don't eat splenda ever. Well, not intentionally. I suppose I might ingest some occasionally in other people's baking.
Not sure why you feel you need splenda to lose weight. Try Stevia. Or just skip sweets altogether is the best approach (at least for me).

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 1:34 am
You do not need splenda to lose weight.

In fact there is some evidence that shows splendid actually inhibits weight loss.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 1:47 am
OP
I find it makes the 'restricting' part of dieting easier. I looove slurpees, ice cappuccinos...What about salad dressings, baked goods? These all have sugar (although I have no idea how much, really...)
Of course I could skip all these foods and eat low fat proteins, fruits, veggies and healthy carbs, but it's much easier to diet when you could allow yourself these 'treats'.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 1:51 am
I don't put sugar in dressing. I don't think I ever have. Oil, vinegar or lemon juice and spices. Maybe a touch of honey once in a while, but very little which is okay unless you're doing a ketogenic diet. I just avoid baked goods. I could make some with stevia I guess, but I'd still struggle with portion control, so I'd rather not get started. I like baked apples and poached pears as my desserts when dieting.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 1:59 am
Have you asked your doctor about Splenda and other sweeteners when pregnant/nursing?

sky

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 10:57 am
I had an issue with weight gain and large babies. My dr had no issue with me eating artificial sweeteners when preg to control my weight, I never thought about it when nursing.

But you don't need substitutes to lose weight. Eat lots of veggies and proteins and whole grains - no sugar or sugar substitutes needed.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 8:09 pm
Sounds like nobody even understands where I'm coming from.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 8:21 pm
Eating 14 packets of splenda a day isn't healthy regardless of stage of life. 1 or 2 isn't going to make any difference to your baby or you. In general, splenda makes your body crave sweetness, just like sugar does. So splenda won't help you get healthy. Healthy would be getting sweetness from fruits only.

Ahuva

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 8:31 pm
amother wrote:
Do you 'restrict' your eating habits depending on your 'stage' of life? I'm wondering if I'm the only one out there that doesn't eat artificial sweeteners when my baby is feeding off of me. I was told it's not the best option. Meanwhile, how in the world am I supposed to lose weight when I can't even properly diet!?!? (I know this answer technically, I just wish I could see quick results so I'd stay motivated.)
and why am I trying so hard when I see other people that aren't "makpid" like I am, and their children seem just fine?!

I definitely adjust my diet accordingly when im pregnant and nursing.
I am currently pregnant and went from 3 -4 cups of coffee with 2 splenda packets each to 1 -2 cups with one packet each. I also stopped eating any diet bar type foods. I bake for myself using sugarless I did some research and its ok to use in pregnancy.
Its really commendable that your are doing whats best for your child even if its really hard. But you vmcan try to find a happy medium. Have a bit of sweetner when u need it but dont overdo it. Treat youself from time to time while still staying on a healthy food plan.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 8:32 pm
I try to stick to stevia when pregnant or nursing. Of the other artificial sweeteners Splenda would be my next choice.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 10:07 pm
amother wrote:
Sounds like nobody even understands where I'm coming from.

I understand where you are coming from. I do adjust my diet when pregnant or nursing, but I do it according to ny doctor's advice. I have an experienced doctor whom I trust, so if she says something is safe during pregnancy (as she says about splenda), I follow that, and if she advises to stay away from something, I follow that too. That's why I asked above if you have asked your doctor what sweeteners are safe during pregnancy. If I have questions about what is safe to eat while nursing, I ask our pediatrician. So, I totally understand your question and why you wouldn't want to replace splenda with sugar, and why not everyone finds it realistic to avoid all types of sugar and sweetner. I just don't understand why you don't just ask your doctor.

cla

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 8:50 am
Why don't you try monk fruit, stevia or xylitol. Those are all better for you than splenda. I think monk fruit is the most recommended but do some research. There's a heimishe company called Health Garden that makes them.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 9:17 am
You're right I don't get it. You wrote

Quote:

Other peoples kids are just fine because there are no studies proving that it is harmful to nursing babies - so why should kids be unwell. It almost seems like you want to see it to prove a point.
Its an extra precaution you want to take - I get that - but don't expect other kdis to be unwell because thier mothers donw.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise