Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Husband refusing to kasher counters
1  2  Next

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 9:03 pm
So my husband informed me tonight that he refuses to kasher the counters because it is a big deal, will make a big mess and a lot of time. I told him I'll do it and he said I can't because I don't know the halachos and I'll do it wrong. (he also criticized me for cleaning out all the cabinets that we will be locking, which took me four hours today. And he criticized me for spending my time "organizing the playroom instead of cleaning for pesach."I had to! If you take something out of the cabinet that has crumbs underneath, it will get on the counters!) He got mad that I wrote "don't open" on all my cabinets because he plans on opening them. I said what I meant was I don't want to use real dishes now, he can just use plastic until pesach. He said too bad. Then he went crazy trying to find the cholent pot, and I forgot where I put it because I cleared the cabinet today. He finally found it in storage and was all mad that I didn't think about shabbos and how we need to have cholent tomorrow. I told him I want the kitchen done by Monday so I can start cooking and he said it is too early, not before wednesday. I said "IT TAKES MORE THAN TWO DAYS TO COOK YOM TOV!! I need you to do it Sunday for my sanity!" This was all very jerky and unappreciative, and he hardly did a thing for pesach. I said, (talking to myself) "WOW, Wife! You were scrubing and vacuuming on your hands and knees and climbing on the counters all day! You must be exhausted! Thank you so much for getting this house ready for Pesach! What can I do to help? Can I make you a tea? What can I do for the Pesach preparations?" He apologized but without much emotion or change in tone. (Normally he is very good and gentle and appreciative, and he has a lot of stress in his life right now. But I am a planner, and he is last minute--issues like this happen with packing too Him: "why are you closing the suitcase before I put my suit in?" me, "your suit isn't in?! Shabbos in in two hours and we were suppose to be there already!") Goodness!

So, without all this drama, a practical question: what do those of you who cover your counters use to cover it? A link would be appreciated.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 9:06 pm
I use the cheap PVC that is not adhesive.
Costs about $15. Some of it you can can save for next year, some you throw it, but it's very easy to replace.

And just to put things in perspective.. That is such a common argument. It's always the husband who wants to wait till the last minute to kasher and the wife who wants to do it early and get a headstart on cooking.
Although Wednesday does not sound so late unless u r having a lot of company.

Last edited by notshanarishona on Thu, Mar 30 2017, 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 9:08 pm
Call your nearby hardware store. If you are in bkln, I think ace has counter covers. They are this white plastic sheeting that cleans well and looks ok. I'm sorry about your husband. It's good you metioned that he's usually not like this so everyone knows it's he just your average stressed out husband vent!

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 9:12 pm
I use the white plastic sheeting. My counters are formica and can't be kashered (according to my Rav).

My sister was actually creative and covered hers with contact paper when it was new - it has a really nice look that way. But no need to bother.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 9:15 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I use the white plastic sheeting. My counters are formica and can't be kashered (according to my Rav).

My sister was actually creative and covered hers with contact paper when it was new - it has a really nice look that way. But no need to bother.

pvc sheeting like this? https://www.amazon.com/Plastic.....eting

Is the contact paper easy to get off afterwards?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 9:18 pm
Ours looks like this but you can usually get a better price at the hardware store.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....psc=1
I think Chayale meant that her sister covered the corrugated plastic with contact paper so it would last from year to year.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 9:20 pm
Can these be cut?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 9:22 pm
amother wrote:
Can these be cut?

Yes with a box cutter. But you can buy the size that's the same width of the counter so only the ends need to be cut.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 9:35 pm
ra mom, I just found a similar thread from 2009 and you said the same thing LOL

ra_mom wrote:
We use the plastic "cardboard". We cut it to size with a box cutter. And if we don't bake and make a whole mess of things, we put it away for the following year.
For the tables, we use the large paper, and tack it down underneath with masking tape. We place a disposable tablecloth on top, and then a Yom Tov tablecloth on top of that.

I also saw on that thread someone used a carpet runner. That sounds easy--they come in 10 foot rolls, so it will be about 30 dollars to cover everything. The correlated plastic seems like it will add up to over 200 (based on amazon pricing and my terrible math skills)

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 9:37 pm
amother wrote:
ra mom, I just found a similar thread from 2009 and you said the same thing LOL

I also saw on that thread someone used a carpet runner. That sounds easy--they come in 10 foot rolls, so it will be about 30 dollars to cover everything. The correlated plastic seems like it will add up to over 200 (based on amazon pricing and my terrible math skills)

When I bought corrugated plastic I purchased it from a local sign company, it was less than half of what Amazon charged.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 9:49 pm
The local housewares stores sell these corrugated plastics for way cheaper. And once they're cut to the size of your counters, you put them away for future years. My parents have theirs for over 12 years!

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 9:54 pm
Calm. My mother kashers her counters all the years till 180. Pesach is an anxiety time. My mother even puts plastic cover stuff and also aluminum foil after kashering.
Its okay nothing happened.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 10:07 pm
My mother did all kasher inger and covering and cleaning for oesach. My father is in middle of tax season then. Dh and I do it together.
Use plastic or I heard of ppl using linoleum.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 10:12 pm
We use vinyl tablecloths and tape down. My husband would be the same way -- he hates it when I organize and move things.

octopus

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 10:17 pm
If he doesn't want to kasher the counters, then just cover them up. I always find that something gets ruined in the kitchen every year anyway from kashering. I have to say, for the last minute ppl, organized ppl are very irritating. And for the highly organized people, the last minute ppl can drive a person up the wall! Pre-pesach has a lot of high level stress. Take a deep breath, and find out from a Rav what is okay and what is not okay.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 11:00 pm
octopus wrote:
If he doesn't want to kasher the counters, then just cover them up. I always find that something gets ruined in the kitchen every year anyway from kashering. I have to say, for the last minute ppl, organized ppl are very irritating. And for the highly organized people, the last minute ppl can drive a person up the wall! Pre-pesach has a lot of high level stress. Take a deep breath, and find out from a Rav what is okay and what is not okay.

She definitely should ask a rav because putting hot things onto the countertops would require kashering.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 11:21 pm
amother wrote:
She definitely should ask a rav because putting hot things onto the countertops would require kashering.

OR covering

lifesagift

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 11:44 pm
If u really wanna kasher n live in bklyn (maybe other hoods too) there are bored bochurim who'll do it for u at ur convenience for a price

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 30 2017, 11:57 pm
lifesagift wrote:
If u really wanna kasher n live in bklyn (maybe other hoods too) there are bored bochurim who'll do it for u at ur convenience for a price

it doesn't sound that simple considering he doesn't want the kitchen ready for pesach this soon ... it risks him making pesach things chometz'dik

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 12:03 am
ra_mom wrote:
OR covering
OR both. I said ask a rav.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen