Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Any Halachically Shabbos-permissible Corkscrews?
1  2  Next

Mevater

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 12:30 pm

Or Yom Tov permissible?

If I hear that no one knows of any, then I dont have to bother a Rov.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 12:44 pm
Mevater wrote:

Or Yom Tov permissible?

If I hear that no one knows of any, then I dont have to bother a Rov.

It never occurred to me that you couldn't. My rabbi uses a corkscrew he bought at Ikea, which I only know because he's ridiculously fond of it. Obviously others must hold differently, if you're asking.

Anon because I don't feel like enduring attacks.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 12:44 pm
I've never heard that cork screws are problematic for shabbos.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 12:45 pm
It's not the corkscrew that's not permissible. It's the making of a keili, the cork, that's not permissible.
You can make sure to destroy the cork in the process of opening the wine, and have a store bought wine stopper ready to use instead.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 12:46 pm
I've eaten in the homes of many yeshivish rabbanim who all use regular corkscrews on shabbos. If your Rav holds differently, you should probably clarify your question with him.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 12:47 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It's not the corkscrew that's not permissible. It's the making of a keili, the cork, that's not permissible.
You can make sure to destroy the cork in the process of opening the wine, and have a store bought wine stopper ready to use instead.

Wouldn't the keili be the bottle, not the cork?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 12:48 pm
amother wrote:
Wouldn't the keili be the bottle, not the cork?

It's the cover that makes it useable.

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 12:54 pm
ra_mom wrote:

I've heard about making bottlecaps (I.e. by detaching the cap from the ring) as making a keili (we hold this way and don't open bottlecaps on Shabbos) but I never heard this with corks. The corks have already been made, in what sense are you making something new?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 1:14 pm
seeker wrote:
I've heard about making bottlecaps (I.e. by detaching the cap from the ring) as making a keili (we hold this way and don't open bottlecaps on Shabbos) but I never heard this with corks. The corks have already been made, in what sense are you making something new?

What I wrote above is what I was taught. Maybe I was taught wrong. I know there are different opinions.
This looks interesting and agrees with your point. I don't know who's site this is.
http://ohroncampus.com/bottle-caps/

Rosemarie

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 1:36 pm
I have never heard that a manual corkscrew is assur shabbos. We (and everyone I know) open wines on shabbos with a cork screw all the time. Why do you think there is an issue?

Mevater

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 4:44 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
I have never heard that a manual corkscrew is assur shabbos. We (and everyone I know) open wines on shabbos with a cork screw all the time. Why do you think there is an issue?

Dont you butcher the cork to the point that some of it crumbles, when opening the bottle w a corkscrew? Thats ok?

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 5:02 pm
I just finished the COR mashgiach course and we covered Shabbat thoroughly. At no point was a manual corkscrew of any description described as problematic. Period. It's what people use.

Rosemarie

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 5:14 pm
Mevater wrote:
Dont you butcher the cork to the point that some of it crumbles, when opening the bottle w a corkscrew? Thats ok?

I definitely don't butcher the cork. Almost always comes out nicely, and can even be put back in halfway after kiddush to close the bottle. Only crumbles very infrequently. And the only issue with it crumbling is that no one likes cork crumbs in their wine. No halachic issue with the cork breaking during normal opening of wines.

cnc

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 5:15 pm
Mevater wrote:

Mine usually comes out in one piece.

zaq

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 6:27 pm
No we don't butcher the cork. If we did that, there would be cork in the wine, and removing it IS a halachic problem mideoraita.

Mevater

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 6:49 pm
Ok then I need a corkscrew that gets the cork out in one piece.

Thats why I was wondering if I can use it.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Mar 31 2017, 7:09 pm
Mevater wrote:
Ok then I need a corkscrew that gets the cork out in one piece.

Thats why I was wondering if I can use it.

Corks break when they are dry. It means the wine was not stored properly. If you have a good provider, this should not happen more than once a blue moon.

Iymnok

Post Sat, Apr 01 2017, 4:14 pm
We have the rabbit type as well as the 2-armed one and the regular manual one. Never heard there was a halachic issue with any of them.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Apr 01 2017, 7:29 pm
Some people are "openers", and some are not. I remember being at shul once, and a person in the kitchen realized that none of the soda bottles had their seals broken. The person went running around the kiddush hall yelling "Who's an opener?" meaning "who has a minhag to create a keli on Shabbos?" Luckily, there was a lady who was in the conversion process, who offered to unseal all of the soda bottles. (Otherwise, the kids were out of luck.)

PS: There's an added halacha that you can't ask a non Jew to open the wine if it's not mevushal, so be careful about that!

In my house, making sure that all the wine and soda bottles are opened before Shabbos is part of our prep routine; along with setting light switches and having pre-torn toilet paper. If you add it to your check list, then you don't have to worry about it after you light candles. Problem solved!

Ima'la

Post Sat, Apr 01 2017, 9:09 pm
Quote:
"Who's an opener?" meaning "who has a minhag to create a keli on Shabbos?"

Nobody has a minhag to create a keli on Shabbos - that is assur.
It is a machlokes whether opening a bottle cap - or more accurately, certain types of bottle caps - constitutes creating a keli - or whether it already was considered a keli and you have not created anything new.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions