Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sleep training q
1  2  Next

ectomorph

Post Sat, Apr 01 2017, 10:44 pm
My 8 month old takes over an hour of nursing and rocking to go to sleep. Any suggestions to shorten the time?
He used to go down easily but woke up for 30 min every 2 hours. This is an improvement in every way.

pesek zman

Post Sat, Apr 01 2017, 10:52 pm
At 8 months old he shouldn't be rocked or nurses to bed. He needs to learn to fall asleep on his own.

It may be an improvement on what was, but unfortunately there's still lots to be done

ectomorph

Post Sat, Apr 01 2017, 11:03 pm
Well, im not doing CIO. He threw up when I tried. I need different ideas.

pesek zman

Post Sat, Apr 01 2017, 11:32 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Well, im not doing CIO. He threw up when I tried. I need different ideas.

Why is cry it out your only option?

At around that age we did Ferber for bedtime and it worked well

nyc123

Post Sat, Apr 01 2017, 11:42 pm
pesek zman wrote:
At 8 months old he shouldn't be rocked or nurses to bed. He needs to learn to fall asleep on his own.

It may be an improvement on what was, but unfortunately there's still lots to be done

Strongly disagree. What are your sources? Breastmilk at nighttime has increased levels of melatonin and helps a baby who is still learning patterns of day and night to fall asleep.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 12:03 am
pesek zman wrote:
Why is cry it out your only option?

At around that age we did Ferber for bedtime and it worked well
is that pick up put down? Because that's what I did. I consider that a type of CIO. It made him really upset

ectomorph

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 12:04 am
nyc123 wrote:
Strongly disagree. What are your sources? Breastmilk at nighttime has increased levels of melatonin and helps a baby who is still learning patterns of day and night to fall asleep.
so interesting

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 12:06 am
Any sleep training method will involve crying. You're denying baby what he wants. A couple of things.. are you sure he's tired enough to fall asleep easier? Also not overtired. You can try sitting next to the crib after nursing so he can see you. But he will probably be pretty mad about that too. Some babies can get even more worked up if you're there. Really depends on him.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 12:10 am
amother wrote:
Any sleep training method will involve crying. You're denying baby what he wants. A couple of things.. are you sure he's tired enough to fall asleep easier? Also not overtired. You can try sitting next to the crib after nursing so he can see you. But he will probably be pretty mad about that too. Some babies can get even more worked up if you're there. Really depends on him.
he's definitely tired enough. He takes one nap a day.
If I don't come right away when he cries at night he stands up in the crib and wakes himself up.

agreer

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 12:10 am
What time do you start? Is he sleepy yet? Is he overtired? Overtired actually makes it harder for babies to fall asleep.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 12:14 am
agreer wrote:
What time do you start? Is he sleepy yet? Is he overtired? Overtired actually makes it harder for babies to fall asleep.

He's usually sleepy by 9 but can't settle until 11. He is definitely overtired. But he's a light sleeper a d wakes up every time my 2 year old let's out a yell. Not much I can do about that. We have noise machine.
So he wakes at 7. Takes 1 hour nap at 10 if I put my 2 year old in cri. Takes two hour nap if I put him in at 4:30 then he's up till 11.
He won't sleep at all if brother is out of crib... Wakes up from normal playing noises. So he eaisly ends up with one nap daily.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 12:14 am
ectomorph wrote:
he's definitely tired enough. He takes one nap a day.
If I don't come right away when he cries at night he stands up in the crib and wakes himself up.

One nap a day is generally not enough for a baby that age. Is there a reason he doesn't have a second nap? He is probably overtired...

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 12:19 am
ectomorph wrote:
He's usually sleepy by 9 but can't settle until 11. He is definitely overtired. But he's a light sleeper a d wakes up every time my 2 year old let's out a yell. Not much I can do about that. We have noise machine.
So he wakes at 7. Takes 1 hour nap at 10 if I put my 2 year old in cri. Takes two hour nap if I put him in at 4:30 then he's up till 11.
He won't sleep at all if brother is out of crib... Wakes up from normal playing noises. So he eaisly ends up with one nap daily.

Ok, you will definitely need to figure out daytime sleep first before you can think about training. He isn't getting enough sleep at all. Nap at 10 makes sense. Another nap would be in the afternoon, maybe around 2? And then sleep by 7-8.
He should not be hearing normal noises if the sound machine is loud enough and placed in the right location in the room. Also think about moving his crib to another part of the room.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 1:09 am
nyc123 wrote:

I didn't say that a baby this age shouldn't be breasted before bed, but rather he shouldn't be breasted TO bed, meaning, the goal shouldn't be that he fall asleep at the breast. By that I mean, at this age they should be learning to fall asleep on their own

pesek zman

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 1:12 am
ectomorph wrote:
is that pick up put down? Because that's what I did. I consider that a type of CIO. It made him really upset

No Ferber doesn't involve picking the baby up at all. But it will make him upset. If letting him cry isn't an option for you, some people on this site speak about a no-cry sleep training method, but I don't know much about it

pesek zman

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 1:18 am
ectomorph wrote:

I agree with all those saying that he's not getting enough sleep. Sounds like he's only sleeping 8 hours overnight and it should be closer to 12. If he's up at 7, try napping him at 9, and then again at 1. Bedtime should be 7pm.

agreer

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 1:23 am
pesek zman wrote:
I agree with all those saying that he's not getting enough sleep. Sounds like he's only sleeping 8 hours overnight and it should be closer to 12. If he's up at 7, try napping him at 9, and then again at 1. Bedtime should be 7pm.

I agree! That's why I asked what time he was going to sleep.

yikes, 9 PM is too late for a baby, never mind 11!

He should not be going from 10-4:30 without a nap.

I think the schedule above is much more appropriate. I'm sure it's going to be really hard with your 2 year old, but babies need sleep!

I think if you nap him from 2-3 and then try to get him to sleep at 6:30/7, he'll fall asleep more easily. You'll both be much happier.

Good luck!

agreer

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 1:25 am
Wait.... I see I missed something...

...about this 2 year old... Is he sharing a crib with the baby? That's not safe. You need to do some form of sleep training and teach them both how to sleep without waking each other up.

Again...Good luck. It's really hard but really important for everyone to get enough sleep.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 8:18 am
To clarify- 2 year oldsleeps in a different room, baby sleeps in our bedroom. But baby is a super light sleeper. I have noise machine on as loud as I can make it without worrying about hearing loss but he wakes up when my 2 year old squeals or yells. I can't keep my 2 year old quiet as he's home with me. My 8 months old has to get used to it. But he hasn't and it's 8 months now...
amother wrote:
One nap a day is generally not enough for a baby that age. Is there a reason he doesn't have a second nap? He is probably overtired...

No. I try to put him down every 2 hours. He only collapses to sleep

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 8:23 am
It's very nice to come up with a theoretical schedule for the baby. But what if you try to make it work and it just won't??? My baby is almost 8 months and refuses to nap. I tried pick up put down for a few weeks and it did nothing.....I try nursing, I try patting, I try rocking. Nothing. If I'm lucky she'll sleep for 30 minutes. And if I try to put her to sleep at 7 she just won't go. She goes to sleep between 830 and 1030. I'm all for these wonderful ideas and schedules. But HOW pray tell do I get my baby to understand that?!?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics