Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sleep training q
Previous  1  2

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 8:37 am
ectomorph wrote:
To clarify- 2 year oldsleeps in a different room, baby sleeps in our bedroom. But baby is a super light sleeper. I have noise machine on as loud as I can make it without worrying about hearing loss but he wakes up when my 2 year old squeals or yells. I can't keep my 2 year old quiet as he's home with me. My 8 months old has to get used to it. But he hasn't and it's 8 months now...
No. I try to put him down every 2 hours. He only collapses to sleep

I'm not sure what to say.. I live in a small apartment with a bunch of kids, and when the sound machine is on you can't hear anything in that room. That's the only way my baby can sleep. I know it works because on shabbos for example when my husband is with the other kids and I'm nursing the baby in the room we don't hear any noise. Maybe you should play around with the setup of the room like I suggested, regarding where you put the baby's crib and the sound machine.

behappy2

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 8:40 am
amother wrote:
It's very nice to come up with a theoretical schedule for the baby. But what if you try to make it work and it just won't??? My baby is almost 8 months and refuses to nap. I tried pick up put down for a few weeks and it did nothing.....I try nursing, I try patting, I try rocking. Nothing. If I'm lucky she'll sleep for 30 minutes. And if I try to put her to sleep at 7 she just won't go. She goes to sleep between 830 and 1030. I'm all for these wonderful ideas and schedules. But HOW pray tell do I get my baby to understand that?!?

Can you send the 2 year old to play group

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 8:48 am
behappy2 wrote:

I'm not the op. I only have 1 baby.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 9:01 am
pesek zman wrote:
No Ferber doesn't involve picking the baby up at all. But it will make him upset. If letting him cry isn't an option for you, some people on this site speak about a no-cry sleep training method, but I don't know much about it

It's not about the crying.
This baby has had medical issues. He's been cleared of lingering physical issues from surgery, but he might still be a bit traumatized. So im reluctant to do CIO like I did with my first, especially since when. I did pupd he threw up in distress.

He's definitely ready to be sleep trained the question is how to do it without CIO or further trauma.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 9:01 am
behappy2 wrote:
no play group available in my area

ectomorph

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 9:04 am
agreer wrote:
I agree! That's why I asked what time he was going to sleep.

yikes, 9 PM is too late for a baby, never mind 11!

He should not be going from 10-4:30 without a nap.

I think the schedule above is much more appropriate. I'm sure it's going to be really hard with your 2 year old, but babies need sleep!

I think if you nap him from 2-3 and then try to get him to sleep at 6:30/7, he'll fall asleep more easily. You'll both be much happier.

Good luck!

Thanks. I really try. I even put my 2 year old in his crib with toys and drinks and all comfy. But he won't go to sleep then because he's just too alert and excited - he's always staring at the door to the room because he wants to go out.

Maybe I just have a super alert baby?

chanitroy

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 11:06 am
I would highly recommend reading the baby whisperer solves all your problems. Shes the main proponent of pick up put down, but there are other major parts to the sleep training, not just pick up put down. There are very specifoc steps to take when weaning a baby from sleep props ( as she calls anything that is external and used to put baby to sleep, ex: rocking, feeding, swinging...ect)
I cant speak from experience in this specific situation, because I bh read the book when my first was 3 months and I was already pregnant with my second... I knew I must have this baby sleeping through the night well before the next one comes! So bh my babies never developed sleep dependencies. For my subsequent babies I taught them how to fall asleep on their own from birth, usisng her shush pat method... But thw methods are way more complex than just shushing and patting, or picking up and putting down... There are specific steps for all her sleep methods... And many calculations that she teaches you to make to know what to do in the moment to moment play by play of doing her method... Her methods involve constantly assessing the situation and how to help your baby best in that second to get them closer to sleep. and Therefore its important to read her books! And to checl out her baby sleep forum. Babywhisperer.com I think. good luck!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 12:17 pm
chanitroy wrote:
I would highly recommend reading the baby whisperer solves all your problems. Shes the main proponent of pick up put down, but there are other major parts to the sleep training, not just pick up put down. There are very specifoc steps to take when weaning a baby from sleep props ( as she calls anything that is external and used to put baby to sleep, ex: rocking, feeding, swinging...ect)
I cant speak from experience in this specific situation, because I bh read the book when my first was 3 months and I was already pregnant with my second... I knew I must have this baby sleeping through the night well before the next one comes! So bh my babies never developed sleep dependencies. For my subsequent babies I taught them how to fall asleep on their own from birth, usisng her shush pat method... But thw methods are way more complex than just shushing and patting, or picking up and putting down... There are specific steps for all her sleep methods... And many calculations that she teaches you to make to know what to do in the moment to moment play by play of doing her method... Her methods involve constantly assessing the situation and how to help your baby best in that second to get them closer to sleep. and Therefore its important to read her books! And to checl out her baby sleep forum. Babywhisperer.com I think. good luck!

My goodness! How on earth did babies sleep for thousands of years, before all these fancy books came out?

I really don't understand the need to sleep train a baby. Babies sleep when their bodies want them to sleep, not when YOU want them to sleep. If you've trained a baby, that just means you've figure out how to trick their bodies, and not listen to the instincts they were born with. Hashem knew what He was doing when He designed babies, don't you think?

I say, leave the baby alone. I'm sure he/she will figure it out in time for college.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 1:28 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
My goodness! How on earth did babies sleep for thousands of years, before all these fancy books came out?

I really don't understand the need to sleep train a baby. Babies sleep when their bodies want them to sleep, not when YOU want them to sleep. If you've trained a baby, that just means you've figure out how to trick their bodies, and not listen to the instincts they were born with. Hashem knew what He was doing when He designed babies, don't you think?

I say, leave the baby alone. I'm sure he/she will figure it out in time for college.

That's all well and good when you have nothing else to do with your life other than take care of that baby. But if you have other responsibilities- other children, a job, etc- you don't have the luxury of just waiting around till the baby decideds to sleep better. I knew it was time to get serious about sleep training when I nearly killed myself and my children because I was too tired to drive safely.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Apr 02 2017, 8:30 pm
Op...your a great mom! Trust your insticnt and dont do CIO...especially to a baby with medical issues. The book The No Cry to Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley is a great read and I was so happy with the book and tips it gives you! You can order it on Amazon....plz dont do the baby whisperer if Im correct that her program has you feed your baby every 4 hours....as that is too infreuqent for your baby and its so unnatural as babys digest breast milk rapidly and feeding just every 4 hours is cruel. I hope you get some sleep!Smile
(Im still confused though why you are putting a 2 yr old in a crib while your infant naps...that doesnt sound fair to do that to him just to keep him queit...how about setting him up with a quiet activity on the floor. _ ( playdough...toys books special arts and crafts etc) another option is to go on a walk when your baby seems tired so she can sleep and your toddler can get out....many hugs!!!) Very Happy
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics