Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Services in NJ vs NY

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 9:11 am
I"ll be moving soon to lakewood from Brooklyn.
My ds has seit & speech services.
can I get that in Lakewood?
How do services compare to NY?

cheeseblintz

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 10:24 am
The services in NJ are nowhere near as good as in NYC. You will eventually get services but they may not be as complete as you get in NY. And they won't be as good.

sky

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 10:34 am
In my experience school speech is lousy (large groups - 1/2 hr per week - not every week, only when therapist shows up) . I don't know if it is possible to get better then that. My kids had really really bad speech - one of them it stemmed from hearing issues. My kids did not do well with the school therapy - I just went private without trying for better and my insurance covers a large part of it so it is very worth it for me.

sourstix

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 12:06 pm
There is the children's hospital in Toms River. I never tried them. I was to.d they are very good. Also chop has very good services but they are far from Lakewood.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 12:08 pm
How does it work to get seit/p3 services in a regular school?

21young

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 12:24 pm
There is no SEIT or P3 in NJ. It depends on the age of your child. If eligible, until age 3 the child can receive early intervention in the home or at school. Past age 3, in order to receive services the child has to be enrolled in a special program (STARs, Center, etc.) or they can receive through the Board of Ed in school, or through insurance. In my experience the Board of Ed services are very low quality - once a week, group setting, etc. If your insurance covers, you can find good therapists but it's your job to find someone good, and sometimes they'll go to the school, otherwise you'll have to take the child to therapy. Your last option is to pay privately. I've had success going through insurance and paying privately.

Point is, get ready to invest a lot more time and effort into getting quality services Smile

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 1:01 pm
One of my kids get through insurance just started about 2 moths ago. Comes to school. It depends what school you go to. You might get services and someone good. This child is over 3.

But another time got through boe it was a disaster. Didn't accomplish anything. And mind you it was someone frum. She was no good in many areas. Your best bet is going through insurance if you have uhccp. Or trying children's hospital in Toms River which is not far from nj.

sourstix

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 1:02 pm
No set or p3 in nj. I was shocked too when they had no idea what I was talking about.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 8:20 pm
What insurance am I best off getting? I currently have Child health plus. (not eligible for medicaid) That will cover speech and special ed services (seit idea) IN regular school.

Anyone can help? Where do I start?
How do I make sure get good therapists?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics