Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/o what makes me qualified for programs?

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 4:17 pm
How is public school any different from any other government program?

Because everyone in the United States is entitled to a free and appropriate

The only ones who are entitled to government largesse in the form of food stamps, free or low cost medical assistance, rent assistance, etc. are those whose incomes are deemed low.

As a society, we are struggling to help those who NEED help. In that case, it is wrong to provide funding to those who choose not to work, as opposed to those who cannot work, or whose work still places them below the poverty line.

--------/---------/----------/-------/--------
Quoted from another chat.
---------/--------/---------/--------/---------

So what do you think?

According to the imamother crowd, is it OK for me to live off the government as a single mom with my kids in school besides for my baby?
I have an advanced degree, and can work. But the stress is affecting my health and making it that my children suffer from living with an overly stressed mom.
Is it OK for me to cut back my hours to 8 hours a week, and have income right below the cut off until my baby is in school?

Why or why not?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 4:26 pm
amother wrote:
How is public school any different from any other government program?

Because everyone in the United States is entitled to a free and appropriate

The only ones who are entitled to government largesse in the form of food stamps, free or low cost medical assistance, rent assistance, etc. are those whose incomes are deemed low.

As a society, we are struggling to help those who NEED help. In that case, it is wrong to provide funding to those who choose not to work, as opposed to those who cannot work, or whose work still places them below the poverty line.

--------/---------/----------/-------/--------
Quoted from another chat.
---------/--------/---------/--------/---------

So what do you think?

According to the imamother crowd, is it OK for me to live off the government as a single mom with my kids in school besides for my baby?
I have an advanced degree, and can work. But the stress is affecting my health and making it that my children suffer from living with an overly stressed mom.
Is it OK for me to cut back my hours to 8 hours a week, and have income right below the cut off until my baby is in school?

Why or why not?

I'm not quite sure how this is a spinoff....It seems to debate the exact same issue as the other thread. I think most people on this site believe able bodied people should do their best to help themselves before relying on assistance programs.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 4:35 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not quite sure how this is a spinoff....It seems to debate the exact same issue as the other thread. I think most people on this site believe able bodied people should do their best to help themselves before relying on assistance programs.

Let me clarify. What is the point where you say that person is doing their best?

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 4:55 pm
I hear what OP is saying.
Why should anyone be on benefits? Shouldn't everyone be working as hard as humanly possible. 60+ hour weeks. Living as simple as possible - eating beans and potatos. If you can't get a job then clean houses, wait tables, be a cashier, travel to work. What pushes someone from the status of trying to not trying.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 6:01 pm
Emotional health is an important factor in how much you can work. If a person explodes from stress and has a nervous breakdown and can't mange her children and her life falls apart--or is on the verge of all that, emotional health comes first. I wonder what the percentage of people on programs also have emotional problems.

We started out in kollel and were not on any programs--but we did have family support+my part time job+my husband's small stipend. The first time we went on programs was when a bunch of serious tzaros befell our family, making 3/5 of us completely dysfunctional, and the other two suffering from our dysfunction. Between the 5 of us, we are in therapy 6 times a week, and one of us is on medication. If you would see me you would judge me because I have a lot of cleaning help, go shopping for new clothes, and seem to be living a spoiled life on government funds. The truth is, the government funds + our parents helping us through this tekufa is saving our lives, because we'd all commit suicide if we didn't have this intensive mental health campaign now to get our lives in order. My cleaning help is an absolute necessity, even if it doesn't look like it to you.
The problem now is--when we are all functional enough to go to work, we will still not be functional to stop all the therapy intervention. Therapy will need to continue at least another two years, and for one of us it will probably be on and off for the rest of his life. How the heck are we going to pay for all this therapy without government funds?! Without insurance, just the therapy would be $3700 a month! Since we started out in kollel, did not have degrees, and now have tremendous expenses and tremendous nisyonos/emotional issues, it feels like we will be stuck this way forever.
I am not sure what the solution is and it is terrifying.

So to answer your question OP, I think it is absolutely appropriate to use government funds if it will save your or your children's emotional health.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 6:31 pm
The way the system works is either you qualify or you don't. If making under 30k per year makes you eligible for Medicaid, then if you're making less than that, you're eligible. The government didn't put regulations in place that account for the reasons an individual makes below that income bracket. One may argue that this is a flaw in the system and that their should be stricter eligibility criteria. There are plenty of excuses people can come up with for being unemployed. There is no system in place that tests someone's ability to work. Maybe there should be, however, right now eligibility is based on income. I'd blame the system before the people. They're legally eligible for Medicaid.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics