Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Ateres Miriam- Far Rockaway

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 6:28 pm
DH just found out about a potential job offer (chinuch) in Far Rockaway. We were not planning on moving from our current home, but it seems like it really might be the best option for our family.

We are a kollel (and not possibly in chinuch) family, and need schools for our kids.

I already found out from friends about the options for my boys, but I'm still learning the girl options.

Are there kollel/chinuch families in Ateres Miriam? Everything about the school sounds wonderful, but I'm trying to get a sense of the parents and where they come from.

Smile1234

Post Mon, Apr 03 2017, 6:58 pm
I have a friend who is moving to far rockaway in the summer and will be sending there. Her dh will be learning in the darchei kollel.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 6:37 am
thanks smile.

anyone else with info?

amother
Green

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 7:21 am
I don't send my girls there, but from what I hear, they are trying to move more to the right. For example I think they tell parents they don't want TV's in the house. It's definitely more yeshivish than TAG which is considered "middle" around here.

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 7:24 am
I am IYH sending there. It seems like a very warm, accepting school. Rabbi Newman has a very good reputation and is extremely astute. Everyone I know who sends is happy.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 8:31 am
My SIL teaches there and sends her girls. Her husband is also in chinuch after having learned in kollel for a good few years. I'd definitely describe them as more on the yeshivish side.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 9:11 am
It is intended to be more right than Tag, although truthfully, Tag is a community school so it is a mix of the entire 5T/far rock community. That means there will be a right wing class or 2 or 3 per grade in Tag, along with various other classes made up of girls from various other hashkafos. BBY is less diverse than Tag with less emphasis on academics. AM wants to be hashkafically in line with Bby and academically in line with Tag. My understanding is the parent body is not Far Rock. It's the Yeshivishe families that have moved in blocs to specific blocks or areas in Cedarhurst, Woodmere, or Valley Stream for affordable housing. Keep in mind if you plan to rent in Far Rock.

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 11:05 am
amother wrote:
It is intended to be more right than Tag, although truthfully, Tag is a community school so it is a mix of the entire 5T/far rock community. That means there will be a right wing class or 2 or 3 per grade in Tag, along with various other classes made up of girls from various other hashkafos. BBY is less diverse than Tag with less emphasis on academics. AM wants to be hashkafically in line with Bby and academically in line with Tag. My understanding is the parent body is not Far Rock. It's the Yeshivishe families that have moved in blocs to specific blocks or areas in Cedarhurst, Woodmere, or Valley Stream for affordable housing. Keep in mind if you plan to rent in Far Rock.

I live in Far Rockaway. And I know a number of families who live here who send. I also understand that there are a fair number of Bayswater families who send as well.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 12:40 pm
Maybe it depends on the grade? My source is s/o who works their and decided to send her daughter elsewhere because of this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics