Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Best way to burn the hafrashas challa???

cookiewriter

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 5:15 pm
I save up all my little bits of hafrashas in freezer and burn before pesach. What's the best way to do it. I hate all the smoke and smell of burned stuff.
Thanks!!!

pizza4

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 5:43 pm
My mother burns it on the stove every week. We will be giving ours to burn erev yomtov.
You could just put on a grill outside if you have, I think.

essie14

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 5:52 pm
Throw it in the fire on erev pesach

gdgirl

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 6:42 pm
on the bbq or communal Chametz burning. I also save them all ur in freezer till erev pesach .

gamanit

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 7:04 pm
I know it's too late for this year but for next year if burning on a weekly basis isn't possible try putting it away in a paper envelope- ideally covered in oil. This way the paper will help the fire spread to every part of the dough.

Every erev pesach I see lovely challas sitting in the remains of the biur chametz and the pigeons enjoying a lovely feast. The dough really doesn't burn if you put it in either wrapped in silver foil or in one big lump. Maybe if you defrost the whole thing now and let it dry out over the next few days it'll burn better. I don't know.

pizza4

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 7:35 pm
Paper envelope is an idea. I put them in plastic sandwich bags.

gdgirl

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 8:06 pm
I do mine in silver foil but flatten it very well before putting in freezer and it seems to burn fine ours not so thick. plastic burning isn't very good for the environment. in nit sure foil is either but I think an envelope in freezer would be a wet mess...

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 8:31 pm
AleYs double wrap in foil to avoid kashrut issues.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 8:33 pm
gdgirl wrote:
on the bbq or communal Chametz burning. I also save them all ur in freezer till erev pesach .

You really are not supposed to do this- per the Rav I learned hafrashat challah in detail from and backed up by COR Mashgiach class.

gamanit

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 8:38 pm
gdgirl wrote:
I do mine in silver foil but flatten it very well before putting in freezer and it seems to burn fine ours not so thick. plastic burning isn't very good for the environment. in nit sure foil is either but I think an envelope in freezer would be a wet mess...

That's why I mentioned the oil... once the envelope is soaked in oil not only is it more flammable but it's also water repellent.

Seas

Post Tue, Apr 04 2017, 9:03 pm
I burn it straight away in the oven, well wrapped, for about 45 min on the highest setting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads