Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Both Realtors suggested the same house. Who to go with.
1  2  Next

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 11:27 pm
One realtor actually took us there.

It was written up as a 8 room house. For that size we had a max of $$$. But then we saw its just a fixed up basement and they counted that.... so in reality it was the same layout and size as all the other 5 room houses w basements for $50k - $80k less.
We loved almost everything about the house. Only one thing that can be renovated at a later time.
But for that size house, the prkce was out of our range, so we dropped it.

Come realtor 2, we have been going back and forth, the sellers have had the house listed for a very long time, and for that price they didnt have a buyer. So they dropped the price a good few $k
Realtor 2 called me, and said, that he might be able to bring the price down within our range.
And he's working on it.

Realtor 1 might be able to deliver the same. I dont know. Realtor 2 sounds more like the go getter kind. And realtor 1 sounds more laid back. (Very nice to work with)

I also want to add that realtor 1 showed us many houses. One that we almost ended up buying....

Realtor 2, never showed us anything. Recently when I saw we aren't getting anywhere w realtor 1, I called realtor 2 and 3 and 4.... (nothing came out of realtor 3 and 4. They suggested the same things as realtor 1 and 2 and nothing new)

Dh says we need to go with realtor 1. Becuase he showed us the house first.

I say realtor 2 because he suggested a price we could afford to pay. And if not for him, we wouldn't have been in this position.
Realtor 1 hasn't called or contacted us about the price change.

Also, realtor 1 might not be able to deliver that, he's more of a cautious guy and realtor 2 will try his luck.

I believe it's a halachik question. And will call up the local halachik dinei mumoynus department tomorrow. But till them, what do you ladies think?

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 11:34 pm
realtor 1 took you to many houses but you're not under contract with him? I'm surprised.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 11:36 pm
I know.

My sister has the same. No contract.
She had 3 realtors show her places, all dofferent houses.... no contract. Im not sure why....

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 11:57 pm
amother wrote:
I know.

My sister has the same. No contract.
She had 3 realtors show her places, all dofferent houses.... no contract. Im not sure why....

I suspect they don't want to 'insult' you buy asking for a contract... anyway - good idea asking a Rav. (personally - I'd go with the guy who spent more time with you).

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 12:16 am
Sometimes the sales contract specifies that you have not dealt with any other agencies other than the one you finalized the deal with and the seller's realtor. Something to be aware of if you go with realtor 2 since that wouldn't be true in your case.

familyfirst

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 12:23 am
I'd five them each a percentage of the commission and explain my thinking to them

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 12:26 am
so if I understand correctly realtor 2 is already negotiating with the seller? - and realtor 1 implied that he would, but hasn't yet? So in theory realtor 2 could come back to you and say - seller has a agreed to price x - now go buy the house? All this without a contract?

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 12:38 am
I was told that ethically if a realtor showed you a house other realtors won't get involved for a certain number of days - forget exact amount. Maybe 60.
Realtor even has the right to fight for commission if they were the first to show the house but most won't - some will.
(We were dealing with a nasty realtor but no other realotr was willing to take her place)

hillary

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 9:45 am
You pay a realtor for the benefit you gain from having a house, not for spending time with you. That is why you don't pay per hour. The entire commission belongs to the second one and it would be stealing to try and give some to the first. If you want to buy realtor 1 a gift in recognition of his/her efforts, go ahead. But realtor 2 should not have to buy realtor 1 a present.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 10:18 am
This reminds me of shidduchim. How do you divide shadchanus between people who ssuggested the name in the past versus present and between people who mentioned the name and people who were involved.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 10:55 am
hillary wrote:
You pay a realtor for the benefit you gain from having a house, not for spending time with you. That is why you don't pay per hour. The entire commission belongs to the second one and it would be stealing to try and give some to the first. If you want to buy realtor 1 a gift in recognition of his/her efforts, go ahead. But realtor 2 should not have to buy realtor 1 a present.

This is almost certainly governed by (1) any agreements that OP signed with either or both agents; and/or (2) applicable state law. I don't know what that is. But in order to protect herself, I'd suggest that she make full disclosure to whichever agent she goes with, and confirm with them that if there is money owed to the other, it will come out of that realtor's share.

Not legal advice.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 11:23 am
amother wrote:
so if I understand correctly realtor 2 is already negotiating with the seller? - and realtor 1 implied that he would, but hasn't yet? So in theory realtor 2 could come back to you and say - seller has a agreed to price x - now go buy the house? All this without a contract?

Realtor 2 told us about the price drop. The next day later it was listed with the lower price. And realtor 2 is already negotiating with the seller to get to a price within our range.

Realtor 1 didn't even call with the price drop that was posted all over the internet on realty websites....

thing is, I've been wanting to see that house but it was in contract till now. But the deal fell thru and was relisted this sunday. We saw the house on sunday night but said no. Then realtor 2 called on tuesday with the price drop.

This is all so frustrating.
Now dh says there is no shaala here. Can go with whomever we want.... but I'm not sure.

Now that I think about it it makes sense, but I am a first time homebuyer and I didn't know that the way it "works" is, you stick with one realtor. I just thought you call up everyone you want and see who has the best offer.
I did go with just one initially because he had lots to offer and I wasn't gonna drive myself crazy with too many things at once. And now this....

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 11:26 am
I just don't want to upset anyone. And it looks like, I probably will either way. I really apreciate what they both did.

I so don't like this!!

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 12:17 pm
Seems to me that if you don't have a buyer agency agreement with realtor 1, you can go with whoever you think will serve your interests better, which sounds like 2.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 12:21 pm
amother wrote:
Realtor 2 told us about the price drop. The next day later it was listed with the lower price. And realtor 2 is already negotiating with the seller to get to a price within our range.

Realtor 1 didn't even call with the price drop that was posted all over the internet on realty websites....

thing is, I've been wanting to see that house but it was in contract till now. But the deal fell thru and was relisted this sunday. We saw the house on sunday night but said no. Then realtor 2 called on tuesday with the price drop.

This is all so frustrating.
Now dh says there is no shaala here. Can go with whomever we want.... but I'm not sure.

Now that I think about it it makes sense, but I am a first time homebuyer and I didn't know that the way it "works" is, you stick with one realtor. I just thought you call up everyone you want and see who has the best offer.
I did go with just one initially because he had lots to offer and I wasn't gonna drive myself crazy with too many things at once. And now this....

I'm a child of two agents. My parents would say go with 2 as long as you do t have a formal afreeement with 1. A professional doesn't take it personally. We hated our first agent. We almost walked away from her after she showed us fifty houses. On the day we were going to fire her, she showed us THE house. And negotiated well. But if she hadn't, she would have been out. The realtor is there to serve you so if they aren't, go with one that does, as long as you don't have an agency agreement, you're fine

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 12:38 pm
andrea levy wrote:
I'm a child of two agents. My parents would say go with 2 as long as you do t have a formal afreeement with 1. A professional doesn't take it personally. We hated our first agent. We almost walked away from her after she showed us fifty houses. On the day we were going to fire her, she showed us THE house. And negotiated well. But if she hadn't, she would have been out. The realtor is there to serve you so if they aren't, go with one that does, as long as you don't have an agency agreement, you're fine

I don't think that's accurate.

As I understand it, she first saw the house on Sunday with R1. She said she wasn't interested in the house.

Within the next day or two, R2 told her that the house went down in price. Now, I'm not sure why R1 would tell her that, since she already told R1 she wasn't interested. But instead or telling R2 "I already saw that house with R1," she was off and running with R2. I mean, this sounds like going into Appliance Store, spending 3 hours with SalesPerson1, then telling him that she doesn't want to buy, then going back the next day, giving SalesPerson2 the list compiled the day before, and trying to giveSP2

Again, not legal advice, but it sounds to me like she could wind up owing a double commission.

She really needs to disclose this, before going further.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 12:57 pm
amother wrote:
I don't think that's accurate.

As I understand it, she first saw the house on Sunday with R1. She said she wasn't interested in the house.

Within the next day or two, R2 told her that the house went down in price. Now, I'm not sure why R1 would tell her that, since she already told R1 she wasn't interested. But instead or telling R2 "I already saw that house with R1," she was off and running with R2. I mean, this sounds like going into Appliance Store, spending 3 hours with SalesPerson1, then telling him that she doesn't want to buy, then going back the next day, giving SalesPerson2 the list compiled the day before, and trying to giveSP2

Again, not legal advice, but it sounds to me like she could wind up owing a double commission.

She really needs to disclose this, before going further.

Only I told R2 that I had just recently seen the house but the price was not in my range.

R2 offered to try to get the price down to be within our range.
R1 so far, hasn't called me with any price drop at all. We haven't been incontact at all since sunday.

Its more like checking out a store with salesperson1 and seeing the prices are too highend. But then salesperson2 calls the next day and you say you don't want the items for that price, but he then says, I can get you these with a 20% discount so its within your range and have it delivered shortly.

Will you go with salesperson2?
Or talk to salesperson1?

The thing is also, if I call up R1, he likely will not be able to get the house for that price.

Then we'll have both realtors upset.

Another point to add, we were negotiating a price for on house. The house had about 30k worth of work to be done. And so wet asked to have the price adjusted accordingly.
R1 came back and said the sellers aren't willing to go down w "a cent" (his words) now I see the house listed online, (it wasn't listed at first) for 11k less than the price he gave me.....
Also, we had decided on the price offer, and expected a counter offer. We had spoken to R1 on Friday, he said the sellers should come back with an answer within 2 business days.
After calling him a few times, he only submitted the offer on WEDNESDAY afternoon!

It's all so confusing amd frustrating.

R1 is a lot easier to work with. But he gets stuck when things start moving along.

R2 is harder to work with but gets things done wants things heat up.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 2:04 pm
amother wrote:
Only I told R2 that I had just recently seen the house but the price was not in my range.

R1 so far, hasn't called me with any price drop at all. We haven't been incontact at all since sunday.

Its more like checking out a store with salesperson1 and seeing the prices are too highend. But then salesperson2 calls the next day and you say you don't want the items for that price, but he then says, I can get you these with a 20% discount so its within your range and have it delivered shortly.

Or talk to salesperson1?

The thing is also, if I call up R1, he likely will not be able to get the house for that price.

Another point to add, we were negotiating a price for on house. The house had about 30k worth of work to be done. And so wet asked to have the price adjusted accordingly.
R1 came back and said the sellers aren't willing to go down w "a cent" (his words) now I see the house listed online, (it wasn't listed at first) for 11k less than the price he gave me.....
Also, we had decided on the price offer, and expected a counter offer. We had spoken to R1 on Friday, he said the sellers should come back with an answer within 2 business days.
After calling him a few times, he only submitted the offer on WEDNESDAY afternoon!

R1 is a lot easier to work with. But he gets stuck when things start moving along.

Just remember ... if the commission is 6% (typical), that would mean a $48,000 commission on an $800,000 house. Split with the seller's broker, that's $24,000 to your broker. If you don't think that R1 is going to fight for that, then go ahead. If you don't have the spate $24,000 (eg) in your pocket, in the event that its found that both are entitled to a commission, then you'd better get this worked out in advance.

octopus

Post Thu, Apr 06 2017, 2:06 pm
oy. op, you didn't ask for this headache. Good luck sorting this out. Let us know what happens.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Apr 07 2017, 12:12 am
amother wrote:

Or talk to salesperson1?

I really don't understand - this ... but if someone is putting in offers under your name, and you buy the house - the person who submitted the offer that the they buyer accepts gets the commission. Sending in two people to make offers? I guess you could do that. I wouldn't.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating