Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How to use a blech for hot water

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Apr 07 2017, 11:15 am
Long story but no urn for pesach. The main ramification for us is hot drinks on shabbos. I bought a tiny little blech -one burner. But I had a bad experience w a blech in my 20's and haven't used one im so many years that I no idea how high or low to leave the flame so I have hot water but yet it doesn't boil out.

zaq

Post Fri, Apr 07 2017, 12:14 pm
You should have gotten a blech that covers your whole stovetop. Then you can move the kettle off the fire so the water stays hot but not boiling. You should probably also invest in a bigger kettle if you find that it regularly boils dry.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Apr 07 2017, 4:48 pm
Thank you but at this point I am stuck with what I have. Can anyone advise on how high or low to keep the flame, etc (see above)?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 07 2017, 4:51 pm
If the tea kettle is directly over the flame the water will boil out to nothing. No way around that.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Apr 07 2017, 4:59 pm
Stoves, teakettles, and blechs are all different. You need to experiment to see what will give you hot but not boiling water (because boiling water will boil out). And even then, it all depends on how much you drink at what time of the day; the earlier you empty out part of the kettle, the quicker the remainder will come to a boil, etc. There are too many variables to make a prediction.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Apr 07 2017, 5:50 pm
Thank you, Joy. I more or less came to that conclusion. I am experimenting this shabbos. Worst case, I have cold brewed coffee for one day. Cool
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note