Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Taking advantage of wealthy relative

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 9:12 am
I have an uncle who is around 55, single, and a a bit mentally disabled. He has a girlfriend the last few years who is also a perhaps slightly off, although not nearly as bad as him. Their relationship doesn't really make sense, in that it's shocking she would go for him. I know she means everything to him though. My dh was doing his taxes for him last week and he saw that my uncle has given his girlfriend over $65,000 in cash transfers in the last year alone. Who knows how much he gave her before that. I'm convinced without a doubt his girlfriend is using him. I know he believes she is the love of his life. On one hand I feel she is basically stealing money from him. On the other hand, it is his money, and even though I don't believe she really cares for him, she makes him very happy because in his mind he thinks she loves him. Looking for ideas and advice if our family should intervene.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 10:00 am
That sounds really awful!
I'm not sure about what can be done though.
Maybe she needs to be approached and warned that you know what she's doing and you are on to her.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 10:09 am
If she's smart enough to get 65k out of him in one year then she's also smart enough to make up things about his family and make him hate the family that's trying to protect him.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jan 09 2020, 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 11:40 am
If he is mentally disabled, perhaps it is time for a guardian. Speak to an attorney? Is the money earned, inherited, or a payment of some sort for his disability?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 12:03 pm
Sounds like my cosin fred
My aunt set him up with a house a car and a trust fund
Some gd digger got hold of him.

His sister's husband also did his taxes and saw somethibg rotten in Denmark
When they put a lean on his condo he became violent and threatened his life

Twenty years later, he is living with her and all her children from a previous relationship in a trailer park
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics