Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you make the same thing for both seders?
1  2  Next

Do you serve the same thing for both Seder meals?
Yes, the second day I serve leftovers.  
 62%  [ 51 ]
Yes, but the second day I make many of the same things fresh.  
 13%  [ 11 ]
I re-serve some cold salads that are still good, but make different entrees.  
 15%  [ 13 ]
Everything is different except for the desserts.  
 8%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 82

Pita

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 4:20 pm
If so, do you make the same thing again, fresh, or just serve leftovers? Do you plan as though you expect people to eat a full meal? Our actual meal probably won't start until 8:30pm, so I expect at least the kids will have eaten something first.

tichellady

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 4:21 pm
We make different food but it's it fresh since it's cooked erev Yom tov

tichellady

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 4:22 pm
tichellady wrote:
We make different food but it's not fresh since it's cooked erev Yom tov

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 4:31 pm
Different food. First seder people are hungrier, rushing around all day with not many food options.

Second day, well we all ate y"t meals previous night and lunch that day. By the third y"t meal, no one needs to eat as much.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 4:52 pm
Same food for second seder, otherwise I'd be cooking during the seder. But for yontef lunches we'll have milchiks, (with beef stew available if DS is makpid on eating fleishiks at all the yontef seudas).

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 4:55 pm
Different main dish (meat, side, vegetable).
Made before YT, everything is portioned and put away per meal so that we serve the food "fresh" and not rewarmed again and again for each meal.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 5:10 pm
I made a huge hunk of meat that I plan on serving at both seders. The kugels/veggies will be different. Also different dessert--I find that people are much happier seeing the half eaten cake on the end days when they forgot about it than at the next meal.

imasinger

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 5:22 pm
Different main and sides, same spreads and sometimes salads. Different soups and desserts, too. I'm doing smoked brisket and potatoes, kugel, and lemon meringue pie the first night; almond schnitzel, Chinese broccoli over mashed cauliflower or quinoa, and raspberry chocolate truffles the second night. YOLO.

MitzadSheini

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 5:25 pm
Sounds very delicious.

What does YOLO mean?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 5:30 pm
You only live once! Tongue Out

MitzadSheini

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 5:52 pm
Got it!

Gilgul?

Anyway second night the only thing anyone wants around here is soup, kneidle and dessert, which could just be a piece of chocolate.

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 6:06 pm
I make one roast, soup and vegetables and we eat it for all the four meals. There are salads and maybe some fish for the day meals, but that's it. I'm for getting it done, not for variety for Yom Tov.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Apr 09 2017, 6:18 pm
Yes, the seders start so late, no one is even hungry at that hour. By the time we get up to shulchan aruch half the kids are asleep and the adults are ready to retire as well. I try to serve some things earlier in the day because everyone is starving by the time 5 or 6:00 comes around.

debsey

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 2:50 am
Two completely different menus but I have a big family. I don't really make anything too fancy for the seder because no one is all that hungry so late. One thing I've learned to do is make a big pot of soup so I can serve the little kids bowls of soup (usually w meat or chicken. Chunks) during Magid when they are hungry. It's the easiest thing to serve them - no cutting up chicken while trying to keep up with the Hagadah.
My seder menu is fish, soup (like cream of chicken or zucchini), "seder chicken" which is chicken in a very liquid honey sauce one night, and chicken w apricots the second night. Potato kugel one night, veggie kugel the other night, and compote for dessert. Very basic. I save the fancier dishes and sides for day meals, when people can appreciate them more.

Pita

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 7:53 am
Thank you, everyone! This is so helpful! But I never thought about making the day meals fancy; we only ever made Seder meals fancy, and had simple meals during the day. I had not thought of making soup, as in the past when I make soup everyone fills up and then doesn't eat the rest of the meal.

In my house it is a bit complex, too, because we have one person who for health reasons cannot have potatoes or wheat (matzo; she brings her own spelt matzo), two vegetarians, and two for whom it is not a seder without meat.

I feel as though I am spending more time deciding than cooking. I can usually throw together a very nice Shabbat dinner in an hour or two, which people will actually be awake to eat, but for some reason I am spending a ton of time thinking about and planning these meals that everyone may be to tired to consume.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 9:46 am
In the back of my siddur says the whole menu so I am good.

Pita

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 10:00 am
amother wrote:
In the back of my siddur says the whole menu so I am good.

I don't understand.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 11:01 am
Pita wrote:
I don't understand.

She's condescending to those of us who want actual food at the Seder. Holy people like her eat only matzo, Maror, charoset etc.

If we have a huge crowd, I'll make different things. If not, same food, with maybe an added veggie or a different type of potatoe or salad.

sky

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 4:00 pm
I make the same.

agreer

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 5:06 pm
Yes, I do make the same.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics