Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you make the same thing for both seders?
Previous  1  2

Do you serve the same thing for both Seder meals?
Yes, the second day I serve leftovers.  
 62%  [ 51 ]
Yes, but the second day I make many of the same things fresh.  
 13%  [ 11 ]
I re-serve some cold salads that are still good, but make different entrees.  
 15%  [ 13 ]
Everything is different except for the desserts.  
 8%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 82

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 5:23 pm
Pita wrote:
If so, do you make the same thing again, fresh, or just serve leftovers? Do you plan as though you expect people to eat a full meal? Our actual meal probably won't start until 8:30pm, so I expect at least the kids will have eaten something first.

Your meal starts at 8:30? Where do you live? That is when we will just be starting the Seder. No meal until at least 10:30. We all eat before Yom Tov starts and after all the wine and matzah the actual meal is very small.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 12:18 am
I don't serve "leftovers." I cook double and freeze, which is not the same thing at all. Sometimes the menu is identical both nights and sometimes there are variations here and there, But whatever I do, I am not serving shirayim from one night on the second night. It would be just plumb stupid to depend on having enough food left over from one meal to go around for the second.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 6:03 pm
I cook the same thing but I have designated containers for each night..I don't serve much fish , egg, soup and knaidles, meatballs, coleslaw and apple kugel, maybe potato kugel also.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 8:26 pm
we/meaning me, myself & I consider karpas, maror & charoses the appetizers

we only have soup ... who wants to eat anything else that late at night

mazal555

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 10:06 pm
I cook large amounts a freeze. So it's the same thing but not leftovers. But I voted leftovers because that's the closest option

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 11:59 am
Same mains, different kugel, different salad. I only serve one salad and side dish per meal, otherwise it gets monotonous to serve the same dishes at every meal.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 12:54 pm
I cook the same thing. bec the time we are ready to eat everyone is rushing to make chatzos. noone is hungry anymore

zaq

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 2:18 pm
amother wrote:
I cook the same thing. bec the time we are ready to eat everyone is rushing to make chatzos. noone is hungry anymore
I find this amazing. My Seder guests always do justice to the food no matter how late the Seder goes. I'm the one trying to move things along. I've never actually removed a plate while a person was still chewing his food but have come close.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 2:27 pm
I make enough fish and soup for both seders so that's all the same. But I do make a fresh batch of chicken or meat, potatoes and veggies. I have gotten pretty good at guessing portions and make just enough for the first seder to have enough to feed my family for lunch and then have everything prepped and ready to go for the "new" stuff for 2nd seder. I don't even bother with salads anymore. Nobody can eat much. A tiny piece of fish, a tiny bowl of soup (my bowls really are tiny and hold exactly one ladle full of soup), a small portion of meat, potato, veg, done.

zaq

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 6:31 pm
Ok ladies who cook fresh for the second Seder, please enlighten me. How do you manage to cook meat,soup, kugel or what have you ini time to eat the second night when you can't start prepping for the second Seder till after Licht benchen? Do you have four or five burners going all YT? Do you serve "rare" meat? Do you have a Shabbos g€y light the stove for you?

debsey

Post Sat, Apr 15 2017, 11:15 pm
zaq wrote:
Ok ladies who cook fresh for the second Seder, please enlighten me. How do you manage to cook meat,soup, kugel or what have you ini time to eat the second night when you can't start prepping for the second Seder till after Licht benchen? Do you have four or five burners going all YT? Do you serve "rare" meat? Do you have a Shabbos g€y light the stove for you?
I cook all the food in advance e and freeze. I cook the entire yom tov.the only things I'm cooking tomorrow, IY"H is a side dish made of broccoli that doesn't freeze well, and two dishes with fried "breaded" chicken cutlets as their base, that are best made fresh. Other than that, all cooking for yom tov takes place the week before. I don't like cooking on yom tov, without conveniences like hand blenders and electric knives.

zaq

Post Sat, Apr 15 2017, 11:38 pm
debsey wrote:
I cook all the food in advance e and freeze. I cook the entire yom tov.the only things I'm cooking tomorrow, IY"H is a side dish made of broccoli that doesn't freeze well, and two dishes with fried "breaded" chicken cutlets as their base, that are best made fresh. Other than that, all cooking for yom tov takes place the week before. I don't like cooking on yom tov, without conveniences like hand blenders and electric knives.
thsnk you but you haven't answered the question I asked.

MitzadSheini

Post Sat, Apr 15 2017, 11:52 pm
Deleted - double post

Last edited by MitzadSheini on Sat, Apr 15 2017, 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

MitzadSheini

Post Sat, Apr 15 2017, 11:53 pm
I think she answered it. The food is already prepared (and thawed) before the first day, so after candlelighting second day, it just needs to be warmed during maggid.

Right debsey?

zaq

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 12:44 am
MitzadSheini wrote:
I think she answered it. The food is already prepared (and thawed) before the first day, so after candlelighting second day, it just needs to be warmed during maggid.

Right debsey?
Then they are not, in fact, "making fresh" for the second seder, as they claim to be doing. They are serving food that has been frozen and thawed, just not the same food they froze and thawed for the first Seder.Not that there is anything wrong with that;I just like people to be accurate in their descriptions. I couldn't imagine how it would be possible to have food ready to serve by Shulchan Orech if one cooked from scratch, which is what "making fresh" implies.

cnc

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 1:02 am
zaq wrote:
Then they are not, in fact, "making fresh" for the second seder, as they claim to be doing. They are serving food that has been frozen and thawed, just not the same food they froze and thawed for the first Seder.Not that there is anything wrong with that;I just like people to be accurate in their descriptions. I couldn't imagine how it would be possible to have food ready to serve by Shulchan Orech if one cooked from scratch, which is what "making fresh" implies.

I know people that do, although I personally wouldn't because I don't like cooking under pressure.
Chicken and potatoes can cook in a hour and a half. Kugels and fish in less than that....
Most people have a couple to a few hours from the zman until the meal.

Miri7

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 5:10 pm
I serve the same soup and fish. I make double portions of some salads and have some each night. Then I make different meats and sides - but usually I cook those erev chag and reheat second night when we start Seder.

Desserts I make a ton of and serve some of each fist night and second night.

I don't cook the night of second Seder because I prefer to be at the table. I just put things on to warm.

debsey

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 5:54 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:

Right debsey?

I thought your question, zaq, was if you have two different menus for the two sedarim. I do, in fact, have two menus. One which was cooked fresh on erev Y"T, for the first seder, the other which was frozen, probably a week before. There's really very little leftovers in my house, since B"H we have a lot of "eaters", and since I don't like to cook on Y"T, one menu comes from my freezer.

The way I do it is, as soon as I bentch licht for the second seder, I take the food (frozen solid) out of the freezer, and stick in my (300 degree) oven. When we get up to halfway through magid, I usually uncover the pans so the chicken can get a bit brown on top, and the kugel can crisp up. I also take the compote out of the fridge, so it won't be freezing cold for dessert. Does that answer your question?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics