Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Deodorants

miami85

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 11:08 am
im somewhere without a reliable list of approved deodorants for pesach please help.

lkwdmom2

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 11:10 am
Arrid spray

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 11:11 am
I have a pic of rabbi blumenkrantz list for deodorants. Feel free to pm me so I can try to send the picture to you.
Otherwise maybe this can help you.

Arrid
Dove
Degree
Gillette
Secret
Hi & Dry
Suave

All types from these brands ok. There's more on the list but can't type it up.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 11:15 am
Ty

Last edited by amother on Wed, May 03 2017, 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 12:41 pm
Many poskim hold the only ones you have to worry about are sprays. If yours is stick or gel -- solid type -- you can use it without problem.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 1:11 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Many poskim hold the only ones you have to worry about are sprays. If yours is stick or gel -- solid type -- you can use it without problem.

This.
I only check my spray deodorant and perfume for pesach (aside for things I put in my mouth, I also check for toothpaste and mouthwash).
I don't check other household products.
http://www.aish.com/passlaw/pa.....y.asp
Look under deodorants and cosmetics.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 4:38 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Gels can have the bad alcohol in it so you cant make such a statement.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 10 2017, 4:49 pm
amother wrote:
Gels can have the bad alcohol in it so you cant make such a statement.

Read the aish article. It can have chometz alcohol in it and still be ok to use on pesach, as long as it's not liquid.

"Some years ago, Rabbi Moshe Feinstein came up with a unique approach that revolutionized the practical applications. He said that even if something in its present state is inedible, but if you can possibly distill it and produce edible chametz, then we would call that "chametz." As a result, he ruled that anything containing grain alcohol (ethyl alcohol) is considered chametz. Even though you would never dream of eating it, nevertheless if you distill it, it would turn into drinkable alcohol. (Ask any alcoholic -- in desperation, they may distill something poisonous like after-shave and drink it.) Therefore, any liquid cosmetic that has any form of grain alcohol is considered chametz and must be gotten rid of for Passover.

This idea only applies to liquids -- because you can't distill a solid. Therefore, any solid substance like stick deodorant or soap which is inedible (I.e. not chametz), and could not ferment a dough (I.e. not se'or), and cannot be distilled -- the halacha is you can own these solid substances on Passover, and you don't have to put them away. Technically, you could even use it on Passover, although the custom is not to use any stuff that has chametz in it as a cosmetic. That's why people buy soaps that are special "Kosher for Passover."

How about beer shampoo or liquid deodorant which contains no grain alcohol but has wheat germ in it. That's not chametz, because you wouldn't eat it. Can it ferment another dough? No. Can you distill it? No. (It's only alcohol that you can get by distilling; you won't get wheat germ vapor by distilling your deodorant.) Consequently, these things are not a problem. You're allowed to keep them around during Passover -- though again the custom is not to use them."

miami85

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 12:21 am
thanks! big help!

ila

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 12:36 am
What about ban?

amother
Arcticblue

Post Wed, Apr 13 2022, 11:38 pm
Bump
Does anyone have an updated list of spray deodorant that’s okay to use?
Checked my husbands dove deodorant and it has denatured alcohol listed as an ingredient ..

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Apr 13 2022, 11:56 pm
Is men's axe spray ok?

amother
Arcticblue

Post Wed, Apr 13 2022, 11:58 pm
amother [ Hibiscus ] wrote:
Is men's axe spray ok?

Check the ingredients

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 14 2022, 12:23 am
amother [ Arcticblue ] wrote:
Bump
Does anyone have an updated list of spray deodorant that’s okay to use?
Checked my husbands dove deodorant and it has denatured alcohol listed as an ingredient ..

Where is it made? CRC came out a few years ago saying most denatured alcohol from America is from corn and therefore fine since it's just kitniyos. But I have seen a lot of Dove coming from Mexico, and I have no information on that.

amother
Tuberose

Post Thu, Apr 14 2022, 1:51 am
Star-k has list online. But I can’t find most of them in the store. Their list has the least choices

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics