Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
How long to stick it out before I give up?

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 8:19 am
I am 18 months post my youngest baby and I cannot seem to lose the weight. I have let myself go during pregnancy and nursing time but I went back to work and thought that would make me lose weight.
I am not overly fat per se but I do weigh 10 kg more than I did before the baby. I am the type who gains weight all over, which means that bot only my hips and belly, but also my shoulders, arms, lower leg are bigger. Even though my breasts shrank back after nursing, my old shirts don't fit in the shoulders. My rings don't fit me either, and no, I am not swollen (I checked with the doc).
I have no desire to shop for new stuff, I have a closet full of hardly worn clothes that I would love to be able to wear again. I am afraid though that it just won't help! I might diet and lose some weight, but I am scared that this layer of fat just won't budge! What if it's just me being over 30 and this is my new self?
Has anyone experienced this type of weight gain and when do people give up to be a certain weight?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 8:31 am
amother wrote:
I am afraid though that it just won't help! I might diet and lose some weight, but I am scared that this layer of fat just won't budge!

This is your problem, right here. If you don't believe it will work, it never will. If you believe it might work, it might or might not.

If losing this weight will give you a healthier body, daven to Hashem that he will give you the strength to lose weight, if that is the right thing for you. "The Garden of Emuna" talks about this, and it's an excellent book to have around.

You MUST believe that being a healthier weight is possible, before you can even start. Otherwise, you are just dooming yourself to a self fulfilling prophecy, and you will end up feeling even worse than you do now.

On the earthly level, see your doctor, and have your thyroid tested. Many women don't know that pregnancy can trigger Hashimoto's Syndrome. Then they nearly kill themselves trying to lose weight, when what they really need is a thyroid supplement. While you're there, have your folic acid levels checked, too. Some people don't produce the enzyme needed to absorb it, and you can end up folate anemic.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 12:50 pm
well consider this a fair warning ... because over 40 & over 50 it's that much harder

do it now whilst you're still young

cut the sugar, carbs & junk food ... walk walk walk & create a set time for exercise that you cannot deflect from

consider veggies & fruit your new candy - aka Hashem's candy

drink lots of water

eat protein

nuts have protein & fiber when you need something more filling to snack on

amazingmommy

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 1:14 pm
What greenfire said.
Losing weight is hard work but definitely possible! (I myself lost a lot of weight).
Also, meanwhile do embrace your new body and learn to love it as is.
Buy yourself pretty clothing to fit.

miami85

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 1:56 pm
Can you look into the Trim You spray? Its drastic but it has good results and works fairly quickly with lasting results. If you can manage some drastic changes for a few months but will feel great, lose the excess weight and then can try a more moderate system, it might be worth it.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 2:13 pm
amother wrote:
I am 18 months post my youngest baby and I cannot seem to lose the weight. I have let myself go during pregnancy and nursing time but I went back to work and thought that would make me lose weight.
I am not overly fat per se but I do weigh 10 kg more than I did before the baby. I am the type who gains weight all over, which means that bot only my hips and belly, but also my shoulders, arms, lower leg are bigger. Even though my breasts shrank back after nursing, my old shirts don't fit in the shoulders. My rings don't fit me either, and no, I am not swollen (I checked with the doc).
I have no desire to shop for new stuff, I have a closet full of hardly worn clothes that I would love to be able to wear again. I am afraid though that it just won't help! I might diet and lose some weight, but I am scared that this layer of fat just won't budge! What if it's just me being over 30 and this is my new self?
Has anyone experienced this type of weight gain and when do people give up to be a certain weight?

It depends on how badly you want to lose weight and if you are able to make lifestyle changes to help you lose the weight and keep it off. I gained tons of weight during pregnancy but the minute I had the baby I wanted my body back and I went to weight watchers and lost it all. I am several years older than you and keeping my weight down. So like I said it really depends on you, unless there is a health issue. So get checked out by a doc and get bloodwork and if everything is fine then do what you need to do to get the weight off. Weight watchers, nutritionist, gym, etc. you will feel so much better about yourself and healthier too. All the best.

Raisin

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 3:10 pm
It sounds like you haven't even tried dieting yet. I definitely suggest you try some un-extreme diet like weightwatchers.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 7:23 pm
I would suggest slowly changing your eating habits to more healthy eating so you have a lifestyle change rather than diet. Eating more fruits and vegetables, drinking more water, switching to whole grains and whole wheat, snack on veggies and nuts instead of starches, cutting out sugary drinks, more exercise etc.
I found every time I dieted I went right back up plus 10 lbs after I was off.

miami85

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 7:51 pm
Personally I found that Weight Watchers was not effective and not fast enough to really be motivating. I had "tried everything" myself and was extremely frustrated. I have nothing to "gain" from this endorsement, but I loved the Trim You Spray protocol and I was able to lose all of my baby weight in 6 months--close to 50 lbs! My husband did it with me (only 1 round) and lost 40lbs, I did 2 rounds! I feel so much more motivated to "Eat right" now that I weigh so much less.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 11:22 pm
greenfire wrote:
well consider this a fair warning ... because over 40 & over 50 it's that much harder

do it now whilst you're still young

cut the sugar, carbs & junk food ... walk walk walk & create a set time for exercise that you cannot deflect from

consider veggies & fruit your new candy - aka Hashem's candy

drink lots of water

eat protein

nuts have protein & fiber when you need something more filling to snack on

100%
Sugar, fake sugar, and carbs all drive weight gain.
Eat lots of proteins - eggs, avocado, nuts. Healthy and filling and do.not.cause.weight gain.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 11:40 pm
miami85 wrote:
Personally I found that Weight Watchers was not effective and not fast enough to really be motivating. I had "tried everything" myself and was extremely frustrated. I have nothing to "gain" from this endorsement, but I loved the Trim You Spray protocol and I was able to lose all of my baby weight in 6 months--close to 50 lbs! My husband did it with me (only 1 round) and lost 40lbs, I did 2 rounds! I feel so much more motivated to "Eat right" now that I weigh so much less.

Another trimyou fan here. Nothing else works for me. I lost 45 pounds in two rounds.

musicmom

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 11:42 pm
Hi. I lost 30 lbs after having my kids. I couldn't do it on my own. I tried. I dieted. I exercised. I ended up going to a personal trainer, and for me, it is reasonable as he sees me once a month and I do the exercises daily. I wouldn't do it on my own. I wish I would. I also saw/ see when necessary a dietician, and my insurance pays for this. If you are unable to do either of these things, then for sure it is harder, but try to vary your exercise every month, because no matter how hard you work your body gets used to it. I also do all my exercising at home, before the kids get up or after they go to bed :-( so it is tough I know. I am a working mom to. Be kind to yourself. My "baby" is 2.5 and I am finally in my normal clothes. That never happened when I had kids back to back... so it really does take time.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 5:28 am
Op here
I do have Hashimoto but I am on meds. I lost weight with a diet after my second youngest and kept up good eating habits till my next pregnancy however now I am much heavier than when I started my previous diet!! That's why I am so inconfident! I also took on jogging but I am just starting out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise