Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
6yo son behavior
1  2  Next

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 8:17 pm
Doesn't listen well, is loud and hyper, I'm so drained over these holidays when I have to spend large amounts of time with him. All his friends are away. We do "time-outs" and I take things away if he doesn't listen, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. They are having impulsivity issues at school with him as well. He gets all the related services (therapy) at school that he can, and I'm really doing my best to give him reminders about listening, being safe, and I'm also doing my best to keep him busy with legos, etc. I'm at my wits end and feel like I can only handle him in very small doses (which isn't possible over Pesach). Help.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 8:27 pm
Maybe it's a wake up call that its time to discuss this with pediatrician.
I also had such a situation when my son was this age. Right after pesach I was in the peds office crying. I was depleted and I felt like a total failure.
He was put onto medicine despite my hate for meds.
Bh. Since then, We've had beautifull breathable yomim tovim/ days/ nights/ years/ vacations.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 8:38 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe it's a wake up call that its time to discuss this with pediatrician.
I also had such a situation when my son was this age. Right after pesach I was in the peds office crying. I was depleted and I felt like a total failure.
He was put onto medicine despite my hate for meds.
Bh. Since then, We've had beautifull breathable yomim tovim/ days/ nights/ years/ vacations.

Trust me...I'm MORE than open to medication, but I've heard from experts (and believe) that 6 is too young to begin medication. I think it's a good possibility that he will be diagnosed ADHD at some point -but not just yet. :-/ thank you for weighing in. I'm glad it's worked out for your family.

mha3484

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 9:04 pm
There are non stimulants that target impulsive behavior. My six year old takes one and it makes a huge difference.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 9:11 pm
mha3484 wrote:
There are non stimulants that target impulsive behavior. My six year old takes one and it makes a huge difference.

OP here - do you mind sharing which one it is? I think he needs more help than we can give him.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 9:27 pm
Read up on ADD. It's not misbehavior. It's a health issue like every other health issue out there.

It's very hard. BTDT. I sometimes hate my son too....🙁

mha3484

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 9:44 pm
He takes a drug called tenex. He also takes a zinc supplement and a magnesium supplemt.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 9:48 pm
mha3484 wrote:
He takes a drug called tenex. He also takes a zinc supplement and a magnesium supplemt.

Thank you!!

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 10:07 pm
is tenex the same as intuniv? My son is on that with no effect at all. 2 mg. Im looking for another non stimulant to try. Our sedarim were wild. He is very out of control when sleep deprived

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 10:50 pm
amother wrote:
is tenex the same as intuniv? My son is on that with no effect at all. 2 mg. Im looking for another non stimulant to try. Our sedarim were wild. He is very out of control when sleep deprived

Op here. First Seder was out of control. 🙄 He's like a cat being forced into a full bathtub.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Apr 13 2017, 11:02 pm
We try to use a lot of the therapist taught language but things got so crazy that we just ignored his antics as long as he wasnt bothering his sibs too much. My son is 10 now, he has matured out of some of his inappropriate behaviors but is much harder in other ways... If anyone would be in my house this past wk.. Dysfunctional might be an understatement

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 12:06 am
amother wrote:
We try to use a lot of the therapist taught language but things got so crazy that we just ignored his antics as long as he wasnt bothering his sibs too much. My son is 10 now, he has matured out of some of his inappropriate behaviors but is much harder in other ways... If anyone would be in my house this past wk.. Dysfunctional might be an understatement

Thanks for sharing! Such chizik!
Why didn't my doctor ever offer me tenex?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 1:18 am
I work with children like him. Diet makes a difference. Less Dairy products, less sugar. Also make him do exercises that makes him use energy. It's not easy dealing with students that are jumpy. But definitely ask the OT what she does with him to keep him cool.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 7:07 am
Don't force him into situations where he can't control himself. He isn't trying to be bad, he probably literally can't do it. Make sure the demands you are placing on him match his skill set.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 9:59 am
Yes, exercise helps somewhat especially those recommended by the OT. We tried dietry changes and a huge amount of omega 3 fish oil none of which had any effect on his behavior. We did focalin - a stimulant for a yr but had to give it up due to severe side effects. Focalin does work though.

mha3484

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 11:36 am
Yes. Tenex is the short acting and intuniv is the long acting. He takes 1 mg and we are increasing slowly. He is 51 lbs I would think a 10 year old needs more then 2mg but I am no doctor. I find adding the nutritional stuff helps too also THERAPY. For a year we went with him to talk about parenting a kid like him. Now he sees the therapist mostly in school where they work a lot on social skills.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 11:51 am
amother wrote:
Yes, exercise helps somewhat especially those recommended by the OT. We tried dietry changes and a huge amount of omega 3 fish oil none of which had any effect on his behavior. We did focalin - a stimulant for a yr but had to give it up due to severe side effects. Focalin does work though.

Focalin for my child made him depressed and thinking of killing himself.

jflower

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 11:51 am
mha3484 wrote:

mha, can you please explain what benefit zinc and magnesium have? Thanks

mha3484

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 12:12 pm
I read this article while we were starting to talk about meds. DH wanted to try more natural methods first.

https://www.additudemag.com/sl.....iron/

My husband has a science background so he further researched this using articles on PubMed.

For actual brands, he takes solgar for the zinc and liquid magnesium its fruity flavored. I think its bluebonnet. Solgar also makes one. We tried different combos and keep coming back to these two. We tried b6 but it make things much worse.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Apr 14 2017, 12:48 pm
Theres a calming down vest from ot also helps my very very impulsive students wear and it calms them.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics