Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Would you put kitniyos in your oven if you don't eat it?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Apr 15 2017, 10:31 pm
We have a friend who I is on a very restricted diet and won't eat anything anyone else prepares. He eats by us often and brings his food on Friday afternoon for me to warm up for him. He just called if he could eat by us tomorrow night, but he eats kitniyos and we don't. He also mentioned that he doesn't kasher his oven because he never eats any chometz. But he had a family member living with him until a few years ago who may have prepared chometz in his oven, we don't know. He is a baal teshuvah and gets very sensitive if we ever make any suggestion that something he is doing isn't according to halachah, so we would prefer not to say anything about his oven not being kashered.

For now we told him we may have guests tomorrow night and will get back to him as soon as we find out. We would like to host him, he eats alone for a lot of meals and we know he gets really lonely. We just have no idea if we're allowed to warm up his food for him!

abaker

Post Sat, Apr 15 2017, 10:35 pm
I definitely would not warm it up. Year round but especially on Pesach we are very careful about where stuff comes from. And that oven situation sounds very iffy to me...even more problematic than kitnios. Perhaps he can bring a hot plate you can heat it on. And for sure I'd use disposables. But this question is time sensitive I see.

Volunteer

Post Sat, Apr 15 2017, 10:37 pm
Ask your rabbi.

But my answer is yes on the kitniot. According to all the rabbis I have heard discussing kitniot, the decree is against eating them, not eating other food that was cooked in pots or ovens that cooked them. So, an Ashkenazi is allowed to eat non- kitniot food cooked by a Sephardic person. Or, if an Ashkenazi accidentally cooked kitniot, the utensils don't need to be koshered.

About the other oven is due, it depends on the exact situation (such as, if hametz was baked in the oven recently, ben yomo, if it touched the grates or was covered, etc.).

ra_mom

Post Sat, Apr 15 2017, 10:42 pm
I think the non koshered oven he cooked it in is more of an issue than the fact that it's kitniyus.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Apr 15 2017, 10:46 pm
I would tell him it's problematic. Not because of the kitniyot, because of the non kashering. Invite him to prepare some of his own food in your kitchen.

(We were told that it's not a problem to eat in someone's home on Pesach if they eat kitniyot and we don't.)

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Apr 15 2017, 10:48 pm
Originally we were more focused on the kitniyos, now we're thinking more about the non-kashered oven. We can't think of a way to ask him about his relative using it without offending him. Especially because he's been eating food cooked in this oven the whole pesach already. My dh just called our rav, we're waiting for an answer.

Seas

Post Sat, Apr 15 2017, 11:28 pm
All publications I've seen about for example using baby formula with kitniyos mention using separate utensils and not washing the bottles in the regular sink. Therefore it would seem you shouldn't.

zaq

Post Sat, Apr 15 2017, 11:33 pm
Why wouldn't a double wrapping of foil solve the problem? You can cook food in a completely tref oven if you double wrap it; why can't you double wrap this guy's food before putting it in your own oven? I can't speak for what happens once you unwrap the food and put it on your table, though.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sat, Apr 15 2017, 11:46 pm
I'm not sure if double wrapping works for Pesach, but anyways -

Do what the Rav says.

But also-

Are you more of type of person who doesn't like to move out of your comfort zone to have people over, or more of a person who pushes halachic boundaries inappropriately? Are you more if a person who is unhealthily OCD about halacha, or OCD about being nice to everyone even if it hurts you? Do you need more improvement in your observance of halacha, or derech eretz?

Sometimes working out what the test is helps you know the correct action to take, to move out of your normal pattern the direction of growth. Best way to work it out is

AYLOR

which you have already done. Let us know what he says.

sourstix

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 12:33 am
Please follow your rav, the kashrus of your kitchen is very important and none of has a right to pasken

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 12:36 am
zaq wrote:
Why wouldn't a double wrapping of foil solve the problem? You can cook food in a completely tref oven if you double wrap it; why can't you double wrap this guy's food before putting it in your own oven? I can't speak for what happens once you unwrap the food and put it on your table, though.

Double wrapping is for year round use, but we can't cook our double wrapped pesach food in a non pesach oven on pesach.

OP, we'd love to hear what the rav says.

water_bear88

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 4:09 am
Seas wrote:
All publications I've seen about for example using baby formula with kitniyos mention using separate utensils and not washing the bottles in the regular sink. Therefore it would seem you shouldn't.

AYLOR if it's relevant to you- we were told it as fine to get ready-made KLP kitniyot for the Shabbos immediately after Pesach last year (I.e. what was the 8th day in Chutz La'aretz), such as peanut butter and chummus, and eat it on our Pesach dishes. We were told it's more problematic to cook kitniyot, though.

OP, I agree with all the posters who said AYLOR. There may be a way to get around it, there may not be. I wouldn't take an answer from Rabbi Imamother on such a complex issue.

Raisin

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 5:57 am
what about buying a disposable sterno?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 9:06 am
We were told we can double wrap it and warm it in our oven. And we should only use disposables, which is fine because I mostly use disposables on Pesach. I feel really uncomfortable putting his food in my oven, but I would feel terrible to tell him he can't come.

CPenzias

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 10:52 am
Kitniyos is not chametz. I would do it

momofqts

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 12:56 pm
Ask your rav

OOTforlife

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 5:51 pm
amother wrote:
We were told we can double wrap it and warm it in our oven. And we should only use disposables, which is fine because I mostly use disposables on Pesach. I feel really uncomfortable putting his food in my oven, but I would feel terrible to tell him he can't come.
You asked your Rav and he said it can be done this way. You should feel comfortable that you are doing the right thing. Chag sameach.

yksraya

Post Sun, Apr 16 2017, 6:29 pm
Kol hakavod that you asked a rav and are doing the right thing. Of course it's not something ideal, but bein adam lechaveiro comes before the chumra of kitniyos, so am not surprised by the answer your rav gave you.

water_bear88

Post Mon, Apr 17 2017, 1:21 pm
Asking your rav is the important thing- he understands the minimum in order not to treif up your oven or chametz up your Pesach dishes. Hope you're having a chag kasher v'sameach!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics