Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
WWYD teething baby for a month

behappy2

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:32 am
My baby is a year and seems to be teething for the last four weeks. She has been waking up a few times every night and after I nurse her I usually still need to rock her (and lately she can wake up a few minutes after being rocked). She drools a little, swallows a lot (syliva?) And is very kvetchy by day. I keep checking her gums. I am not sure they are sore or red etc...last time she got four teeth at a time and was teething for a month before. My question is like this. I am severely sleep deprived. I spend about an hour and a half each night soothing her broken up throughout the night. She wakes up often at 6 o clock. Cranky. Sometimes I let her cry during the night just bec I physically don't have strength to hold her (she is 22 lbs). I am considering soothing her for five minutes and than letting her cry herself to sleep each time she wakes so that I can function better as a person and as a Mom. I am not ready to give her motrin for 6 weeks straight especially since when I do give it it only cuts her crying in half. I feel like such a mean Mommy to only comfort for a few minutes. She does sleep in my room at this time. If this were your baby WWYD.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:45 am
I do not let a teething baby suffer. Motrin and Camilia were the trick for us. Motrin should be working but if it's not you could also try Tylenol (in addition)

Teething is the absolute worst. My baby would cry inconsolably until her pain subsided, and her teething was hard and fast (12 teeth by a year)

(Can you hold her sitting down if she's too heavy to hold standing up)?

anonymrs

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:51 am
She's in pain. If you are not willing to give her something to alleviate the pain, at the very least, be there with her for comfort. I would not leave a baby in pain to cry throughout the night. I think it is heartless.

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:53 am
Unfortunately baby teeth can take a LONG time to come in, especially if they are molars (mine seem to get their molars at around a year so that might fit).
Drooling, crankiness and waking up from sleep are all signs of teething. So is a slight fever and diaper rash.
I give Motrin because if I had a headache I would take pain meds if necessary. If it isn't lasting, are you giving enough as per her weight?
I was also told you can switch off with Tylenol after 4 hours (and then 4 hours later give Motrin again) if need be. But ask your pediatrician.
Where is your husband? Can he switch off with the rocking at night so you each get at least some sleep?

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:54 am
Frozen metal /stainless steel spoon

agreer

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 2:03 am
DEFINITELY don't skip the pain meds! They are B"H great and really help at night.

behappy2

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 2:47 am
So you all would give tylenol/motrin for a few weeks in a row? And you would consider that safe? She also did vomit the morning after I gave her motrin but can try tylenol.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 2:53 am
amother wrote:
Frozen metal /stainless steel spoon

No shock
You can burn a child's tender gums by applying a frozen metal spoon.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 8:14 am
behappy2 wrote:
So you all would give tylenol/motrin for a few weeks in a row? And you would consider that safe? She also did vomit the morning after I gave her motrin but can try tylenol.

Yes. You can either give it prophylactically (before bed) or when baby wakes with pain if you don't want to "over medicate"

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 8:17 am
Buy an amber teething necklace. I think they're $15-$20 on Amazon. My daughter has one, and is the happiest baby. She's getting two teeth now, and you would never know. When her first two came in, I didn't even realize until they were already in.

behappy2

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 8:22 am
eema of 3 wrote:
Buy an amber teething necklace. I think they're $15-$20 on Amazon. My daughter has one, and is the happiest baby. She's getting two teeth now, and you would never know. When her first two came in, I didn't even realize until they were already in.

She has one. Hasn't helped her Sad

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 8:33 am
behappy2 wrote:
She has one. Hasn't helped her Sad

:-(

ectomorph

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:25 pm
I gave Motrim and Tylenol for a month
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics