Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Antibiotics for strep...do I need to wait 12 hrs btwn doses

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:15 pm
I have 2 kids who have strept. I never used antibiotics before. I have them one dose at 11 when I got home from the doctor. Can I give them another b4 they go to sleep at 7?
Just btw. My kids had no fever. No hurting throat. No coughing or runny nose...I took them to doctor because their eyes have been burning them and it was both of them so I figured was something. It's scary to me that I never ever would have thought it was strept throat.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:16 pm
My pharmacy told me a minimum of 8 hour between doses is a must. But 12 is recommended.

And btw strep doesn't always come with fever. Mothers should know when something is off with their child.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:31 pm
OP, symptoms usually progress as the strep gets worse. I have one child that I always know has strep because he complains that his legs hurt. If I'd ignore that for a few days, the fever and sore throat would come.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:40 pm
When My kids complain about an aching knee or leg I know they have strep. I learned this with time though.
If child is very sick I give a double dose first.
Ouch.... I can hear the shouts of protest... not enough that shes giving anti biotic shes giving double doses? Who in her right mind does this?

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 12:59 pm
Op here. Thanks everyone. I knew something was off but as someone who bh had never had strept I didn't know it can have different symptoms.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 1:30 pm
Op, do u live in lakewood? I live there and my kids never have strep and caught it before pesach. The doctors office said they are having a tremendous amount of positive cultures and its really going around.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 3:27 pm
amother wrote:
Op, do u live in lakewood? I live there and my kids never have strep and caught it before pesach. The doctors office said they are having a tremendous amount of positive cultures and its really going around.

Nope monsey

joyful mom

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 3:34 pm
Call the pharmacy and ask the pharmacist when is the earliest you can give it again since they can rather tell you based on the medication and age of child

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 3:42 pm
A couple of weeks ago one of my kids had strep. I specifically asked my pediatrician this question because I knew he wouldn't get the first dose before 12/1 PM and the second at around 7 PM. She said it's not necessary and more important to get both doses than to worry about spacing.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 4:24 pm
Yes the first day they can be spaced much closer together. As little as 4 hours apart.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 4:52 pm
My doctors office also told me minimum 4 hours apart. When I asked I mentioned it was the first 2 doses so not sure if the answer is just for the first doses or its okay for always.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 7:15 pm
*strep.
And refuah shelayma!

quote="amother"]I have 2 kids who have strept. I never used antibiotics before. I have them one dose at 11 when I got home from the doctor. Can I give them another b4 they go to sleep at 7?
Just btw. My kids had no fever. No hurting throat. No coughing or runny nose...I took them to doctor because their eyes have been burning them and it was both of them so I figured was something. It's scary to me that I never ever would have thought it was strept throat.[/quote]

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 7:41 pm
amother wrote:
*strep.
And refuah shelayma!

quote="amother"]I have 2 kids who have strept. I never used antibiotics before. I have them one dose at 11 when I got home from the doctor. Can I give them another b4 they go to sleep at 7?
Just btw. My kids had no fever. No hurting throat. No coughing or runny nose...I took them to doctor because their eyes have been burning them and it was both of them so I figured was something. It's scary to me that I never ever would have thought it was strept throat.
[/quote]

Thanks!!!!

Thanks everyone. I called and was told I can give them second dose before bed...about 8 hours later.
Doctor told me they won't be contagious tomorrow and can go to school as long as they took the medicine twice today and in the morning.
They are acting ttly themselves it's hard to even feel like they r sick. Bh!

livinginflatbus

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 9:00 pm
My son had a rash on his back and it was strep
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics