Home

Is this a legit question or simple OCD?
1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




Babyblue


Post  Wed, Apr 19 2017, 2:15 pm
My cleaning lady brought into my pesach kitchen a step ladder which we use all year round in the kitchen. I haven't really cleaned it well before pesach and therefore there is some dirt all over it. Not sure whether its breadcrumbs ir plain dirt.

What concerns me is that she moved it around with her hands as she was using it to clean the top cabinets. If there was any chometz on the ladder and she touched it with the same hands that were cleaning the cabinets is there an issue? Is this ocd or a real concern? Dunno why I'm embarrassed to ask this shaila! I tend to overthink EVERYTHING and come up with shailas all the time Shocked
Back to top

sequoia









  


Post  Wed, Apr 19 2017, 2:17 pm
What difference does it make now?
Back to top

tichellady









  


Post  Wed, Apr 19 2017, 2:19 pm
OCD. Nothing on a stepladder would be considered chometz. It's dirt, not food
Back to top

amother




Cyan


Post  Wed, Apr 19 2017, 2:22 pm
We clean our kitchen step ladder for pesach.
Back to top

amother




Babyblue


Post  Wed, Apr 19 2017, 2:27 pm
sequoia wrote:
What difference does it make now?


If its not OK now than it won't be ok for next year
Back to top

amother




Babyblue


Post  Wed, Apr 19 2017, 2:28 pm
amother wrote:
We clean our kitchen step ladder for pesach.


I also clean it but not thorough though because I sell it for pesach.
Back to top

amother




Babyblue


Post  Wed, Apr 19 2017, 2:30 pm
tichellady wrote:
OCD. Nothing on a stepladder would be considered chometz. It's dirt, not food


But my kids sometimes play around it with their food
Back to top

Chayalle









  


Post  Wed, Apr 19 2017, 2:41 pm
It would only be a problem if HOT chometz touched something in your kitchen. Otherwise, just sweep up any dirt and throw it in the garbage. If she cleaned your cabinets, they are clean, so nothing to worry about.
Back to top

amother




Babyblue


Post  Wed, Apr 19 2017, 2:43 pm
Chayalle wrote:
It would only be a problem if HOT chometz touched something in your kitchen. Otherwise, just sweep up any dirt and throw it in the garbage. If she cleaned your cabinets, they are clean, so nothing to worry about.


Yes I know that only hot chometz is a problem but she also moved around pots n pans and those pans will be heated next year...lol! Am I going to far?!
Back to top

watergirl









  


Post  Wed, Apr 19 2017, 3:03 pm
amother wrote:
Yes I know that only hot chometz is a problem but she also moved around pots n pans and those pans will be heated next year...lol! Am I going to far?!

Yes. Too far. Dirt is not chametz.
Back to top

princessleah









  


Post  Wed, Apr 19 2017, 3:07 pm
Hametz is not cooties. It is not an infectious disease spread by hand-to-hand or hand-to-surface contact. In order to make something unkosher for pesach, it has to meet specific requirements, some of which are illuminated above.
The best antidote to pesach OCD is exposure (therapy) to halacha!
Back to top

miami85









  


Post  Wed, Apr 19 2017, 3:34 pm
Sounds similar to some relatives of mine who were scared that the metal matzah tray fell behind a shelf that hadn't been cleaned for pesach--its like dust is not chametz, its certainly not hot chametz--rinse it off and move on. Some of these pesach "chumros" are shtuyos and drives me NUTS!
Back to top

zaq









  


Post  Wed, Apr 19 2017, 4:23 pm
princessleah wrote:
Hametz is not cooties. It is not an infectious disease spread by hand-to-hand or hand-to-surface contact. In order to make something unkosher for pesach, it has to meet specific requirements, some of which are illuminated above.
The best antidote to pesach OCD is exposure (therapy) to halacha!


Best post ever on this topic.
Back to top

amother




Coffee


Post  Wed, Apr 19 2017, 4:57 pm
Even if there were a couple crumbs, doesn't this fall into what is nullified when we do bedikas chametz?
Back to top

amother




Babyblue


Post  Wed, Apr 19 2017, 5:26 pm
princessleah wrote:
Hametz is not cooties. It is not an infectious disease spread by hand-to-hand or hand-to-surface contact. In order to make something unkosher for pesach, it has to meet specific requirements, some of which are illuminated above.
The best antidote to pesach OCD is exposure (therapy) to halacha!


Its not about hand to hand contact. It's that maybe a crumbs was transfered from the ladder to the cabinet or pots.
Back to top

babysmum









  


Post  Wed, Apr 19 2017, 5:37 pm
Next year clean you step ladder. Anyways even if some Crumbs did fall on your pots chumetz is automatically nullified after a year so next year wont b a problem even if ypu heat the pots.
Back to top

zaq









  


Post  Wed, Apr 19 2017, 6:21 pm
AYLOR. Chances are he will tell you no problem but you clearly need to hear it from someone you trust as an authority because you're not accepting anyone's word here. (Which is in fact as it should be but still makes me wonder why you bothered posting at all --but I digress.)

I don't see why you're embarrassed to ask. It's a legitimate question and won't be anything he's never heard before, even if all imamothers think you're a trifle, ah, excessively scrupulous.
Back to top

amother




Pearl


Post  Wed, Apr 19 2017, 6:28 pm
OMG
How can I drink water. Chometz is osur b col shehu, the most miniscule drop and isn't botul.
Somewhere on the planet someone threw bread into the ocean...

R Chaim Brisker asks thiis
Back to top

amother




Goldenrod


Post  Wed, Apr 19 2017, 7:26 pm
Yes this is a legitimate question when asked from a dayan that understands the underlying.

With this level of precaution, Do you enjoy this yom tov at all?
Please have at least a one time consult with the dayan Rav Shmiel Nieman and this yom tov will be nishapech mayavel layom tov!!!
Back to top

amother




Babyblue


Post  Wed, Apr 19 2017, 8:48 pm
amother wrote:
Yes this is a legitimate question when asked from a dayan that understands the underlying.

With this level of precaution, Do you enjoy this yom tov at all?
Please have at least a one time consult with the dayan Rav Shmiel Nieman and this yom tov will be nishapech mayavel layom tov!!!


You asked a good question. No I don't enjoy pesach!! Its such a pressure with chometz n all.
How does one know when a question is ocd or halacha??
Back to top
1, 2, 3  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen

Similar Topics Replies Last Post
Legit government programs
by amother
3 Fri, Jun 21 2013, 7:21 pm View latest post
Is This Legit?? 2 Fri, Jul 01 2011, 9:01 am View latest post
Is this Legit? 9 Wed, May 18 2016, 4:32 am View latest post
is this site / place legit? 1 Tue, Sep 21 2010, 11:16 am View latest post
Legit work from home jobs 1 Sun, Apr 30 2017, 12:36 am View latest post

Jump to:  



Report offensive ad