Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Tell me about pesach in a hotel, did you love it?
Previous  1  2  3

justforfun87

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 10:56 pm
Ilovemaryland wrote:
I am sensing a very marie Antoinette tone in this thread

In my community anyone who would invite me isn't.so religious and treat me like a neb
If I go to NY or Monsey they are nice but I feel like an even bigger nebcase.

I work very long hours to make ends meet.So I don't have time to energy to make pesach at home

Do you live in Baltimore?? Can think of plenty of wonderful families who would have you and wouldn't think or consider you a neb.

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 11:27 pm
amother wrote:
That's interesting. my daughter just told me how much she enjoyed it when we took them to pesach hotels.

Same here. We went twice (not in a row) and haven't been back in a few years. Our kids beg to go back every year...

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 1:36 am
Whhen you ask about peeling... let me tell you....Unfortunately my hotel did not peel the squashes when they grilled and once made baked potatoes with peels on it. The waiters cut plastic tablecloths and made a pile of them on the FLOOR. I told mashgiach and he said thats ok because the carpets were vacuumed nany times and shampooed twice. I thought ridiculous because he was being machmir on everything but because it was my idea all of the sudden it's kosher. So he means to say that everyone cleanes soles shoes before arriving to hotel? Also when coming from the goyshe store chol hamoed? And the waiters too cleaned soles before coming in every day? Otherwise all was very strickt. Once thing worth talking along is: cork opener for wine. It made me nrevous to think how many were given to them cor passover and how many by mistake came from non passover. Also waiters keep in their pockets which may have chometz

Ilovemaryland

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 1:49 am
justforfun87 wrote:
Do you live in Baltimore?? Can think of plenty of wonderful families who would have you and wouldn't think or consider you a neb.

Thanks... Thats sweet of you LOL

I'm on the other side of Maryland

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 2:14 am
Hiddurim (maybe wrong choice of words, but things I prefer)....using only fruits or vegetables that can be peeled, liquid sugar, Moshiach seudah, nusach Ari, along with the usual cholev Yisroel, no gebrokts, only shmurah, etc...

pesek zman

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 5:54 am
amother wrote:
Whhen you ask about peeling... let me tell you....Unfortunately my hotel did not peel the squashes when they grilled and once made baked potatoes with peels on it. The waiters cut plastic tablecloths and made a pile of them on the FLOOR. I told mashgiach and he said thats ok because the carpets were vacuumed nany times and shampooed twice. I thought ridiculous because he was being machmir on everything but because it was my idea all of the sudden it's kosher. So he means to say that everyone cleanes soles shoes before arriving to hotel? Also when coming from the goyshe store chol hamoed? And the waiters too cleaned soles before coming in every day? Otherwise all was very strickt. Once thing worth talking along is: cork opener for wine. It made me nrevous to think how many were given to them cor passover and how many by mistake came from non passover. Also waiters keep in their pockets which may have chometz

Ive never seen kosher wine that's not also KLP

Then again I've never heard of the other stringencies you are taking about either. (Cleaning the soles of your feet? Peeling vegetables? Nope, never heard of these things. I imagine for those who are machmir in such things home is definitely the right place for Pesach

treestump

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 6:20 am
amother wrote:

The things you mention are not even chumros. They are gedarim on top of gedarim on top of gedarim on top of gedarim.

I find that the more well versed people are in halacha, the less "machmir" they have to be. When you understand what the source halachos are, the reasons for them, and the whole context, you don't need to resort to overdone chumros. Knowledge is power.

Also a lot of things people call machmir are really just for tradition's sake. Nothing to do with kashrut, and everything to do with measures taken a hundred years ago for what was necessary then and isn't necessary now, but still kept for traditional value. They don't affect kashrut standards at all.

watergirl

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 6:29 am
treestump wrote:
The things you mention are not even chumros. They are gedarim on top of gedarim on top of gedarim on top of gedarim.

I find that the more well versed people are in halacha, the less "machmir" they have to be. When you understand what the source halachos are, the reasons for them, and the whole context, you don't need to resort to overdone chumros. Knowledge is power.

Also a lot of things people call machmir are really just for tradition's sake. Nothing to do with kashrut, and everything to do with measures taken a hundred years ago for what was necessary then and isn't necessary now, but still kept for traditional value. They don't affect kashrut standards at all.

Agreed. But as we know, people dont know the difference between halacha, chumra, minhag, geder, and shtus. And if someone grows up with a particular minhag but learned that its halacha, they just teach that to their kids as well if they never learn otherwise. Cleaning soles of shoes? Shtus. Dirt is not chametz.

Simple1

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 7:57 am
She mentioned the soles of the shoes because the waiters were putting things on the floor! Even for hygienic reasons that shouldn't be done.

Simple1

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 8:01 am
amother wrote:
To all of you so worried about kashrus standards, I humbly suggest that you never again eat at any simcha, ever go to a restaurant, buy any pizza, bakery items, take out food. Cook every morsel of food yourself. From scratch. You never know which evil masgiach might have messed up the food you're eating. Better to be safe, then sorry!!

True. And everyone has to do what works for them. But people tend to be more makpid on pesach.

bobeli

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 1:27 pm
this is about the hotel experience not if you should go, or if its kosher.
so please star another topic for other discussions and whoever went and has something to comment please do

gilamom

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 10:08 pm
We went for years when I was little and the hotel was fun but it totally didn't feel like Pesach for me, it could also be because we went just our family and not our extended family. To me, the Seder is all about sharing it with extended family and friends.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 6:35 am
amother wrote:
To all of you so worried about kashrus standards, I humbly suggest that you never again eat at any simcha, ever go to a restaurant, buy any pizza, bakery items, take out food. Cook every morsel of food yourself. From scratch. You never know which evil masgiach might have messed up the food you're eating. Better to be safe, then sorry!!

I agree people are paranoid, but spme indeed don,'t eat out - generally people who take it overboard and all, but it's a thing. Also on Pessach mamash, many don't mish/outside of family/shalom bayis.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics