Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Changing table

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 8:52 pm
Looking for input on what to buy in terms of changing tables: a dresser with a changing pad on top? Or buy an actual changing table... what has your experience been?

gamanit

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 8:55 pm
I had an actual changing table. I don't think it's safe to use a dresser with changing pad on top esp. as baby grows and can wriggle and get the pad to fall down. If you have the room definitely get standard changing table.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 9:22 pm
We have a stand alone changing table with open shelves below. That enabled us to buy a tall dresser with much more storage space which will be useful in the future when the changing table will be removed from the room.

tymama

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 9:33 pm
I have a dresser with the changing table screwed in. The changing pad goes on top but fits snug.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 9:34 pm
I would get a changing table with four sides and I plan on buying the wax paper underneath IF I buy a changing table.

lizard8

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 9:55 pm
It depends on how much storage you have and how much room space you have.
If you have room for a low, wide dresser than there is no reason to get both. Personally, I wouldn't recommend the open shelved changing table, because it is so easy for a baby to access once they are mobile.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:24 pm
I'm wondering just from the perspective of cost effectiveness if it makes sense to buy a dresser with a pad because it's more versatile

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:28 pm
I cannot imagine why anyone would buy a changing table.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 10:34 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I cannot imagine why anyone would buy a changing table.

I bought one, because my back was starting to hurt from bending down to change my baby. The changing table is high, so I can change the baby without bending and straining vs changing the baby on a bed.

cm

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 11:24 pm
I have one of each. The actual changing table had shelves underneath, and we used it as shelving in the play room for years after diaper-changing was over. The table is neutral in style and blends in well enough - something to keep in mind if you are cost-conscious and want your baby furniture to do double duty.

I installed a changing pad - the large, contoured kind that helps cradle the baby, not a thin pad - on a chest of drawers upstairs. The pad attached very securely, and I don't think it was any less safe than a traditional changing table. You always have at least one hand for safety on the baby on a changing table/dresser anyway. Once the pad was removed (the anchoring hardware remains, but it is hidden on the back) we continued to use the dresser for many years.

As for cost, the changing table was much less expensive, and (for us) versatile. The dresser is "real" furniture and intended to last a lifetime, so it cost more.

It is not only more comfortable to change a baby at waist height, it seems more sanitary and easier to clean than the floor, bed or other furniture.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 19 2017, 11:29 pm
I bought a convertible dresser that's the height of a changing table and is built ready with sides for changing table. Well worth it to combine the 2.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 6:48 am
You can sit down to change baby on bed or couch. Or use a high furniture.

AnnieHehe

Post Thu, Apr 20 2017, 7:00 am
browse around the internet to see what you can find, personally I have several options. I found a really good travel cot that has a section for diaper changing, you can also try buying just a simple changing mat and sit on the floor to change. I also have a dresser but that's really only best for if you're going out and just want to quickly have a fresh diaper on your child...

good luck Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics