Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Time/task management system/method/strategy
Previous  1  2

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 11:06 pm
I know what you mean op, I many times feel like that. Now for example I need to make a doctor appointment for 2 kids, one well and one sick visit, where do I push it in? In the morning and be late to work? After school with all the kids with me? So I keep pushing it off...

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 11:19 pm
Don't know how many kids you have but for me if I have the choice I do doctor first thing after school and bring a lot of snacks/entertainment so it's like a family trip. If there are kids who don't need to go to the doctor maybe they can go home with a friend that day? I find it so much harder to book things that are just for me that the kids can't come to ,because that adds a whole new factor to work out.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 12:40 am
OP, maybe I am misunderstanding, but to me it sounds like you are having two somewhat separate issues - how to fit in appointments and such when your schedule has no space for them, and how to organize and accomplish all the tasks you need to get done. I understand how having an organization/time management system could help you with the second issue, but I don't see how it would help with the first. If the only times you are not at work are times that you have to be taking care of your kids, no amount of time management is going to change that. I have lots of organizational systems in place, but if I get home from work at the same time my kids get home from school the only way I can fit in a dentist appointment for myself is to take off time from work or send the kids to a friend after school.

Sounds like you are really juggling a lot and that it may not all realistically fit into the time you have available, even with a good time management system.

curlyhead

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 7:06 am
It is all about prioritizing.

I use a regular notebook. first page do a brain dump for the month. List everything that needs to be done. I do according to task types and projects. Home, desk, errends, appointments to make and any current large projects such as a simcha or pesach, various jobs (I work 2 small jobs)etc.

Daily housework should be part of daily routine. Weekly housework part of weekly routine or cleaner. I put in week or day times for errends desk work, and housework and paid work. a basic weekly and daily schedule which can be changed as needed.

I make a weekly spread on sheat with my tasks for the week and leave the top half for my daily tasks and schedule. menu is included. I star most important goals

Most important every week write top 3 goals/projects. Every day write top 3 tasks. Do those first. Errends go in the errend time, desk work and phonecalls go in that time etc. do like tasks together.
Make sure to schedule in me time and rest time. If I go on a big long appointment or after I work I am exhausted so I schedule rest time.
You may need to cut back your work hours to have one afternoon a week for appointments. even with appointments if you can only fit one a week schedule them in order of priority. Some maybe you can do in the evening or get someone else to do. I have one kid who needs a lot of appointments and they can be extremely time consuming.

curlyhead

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 7:09 am
There have been times that I have pushed appointments off because it was too much and just rescheduled them for when things were less hectic

avocado7

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 2:33 pm
This works for me ......
Have a separate calendar for appointments written in red ink. Especially if you might add another important reminder then use another cool color ! Keep the same subject in same color. But don't over fill each days box. Perhaps
go for a larger calendar.
This is very helpful to view a month at a glance.
Reminders on computers I found get forgotten about.
But it may work for you !! ??
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics