Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Toddler Viciously Attacked By Pitbull :(
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 10:32 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
This one is hard to figure. They were filming almost 20 seconds before the dog attacked.

Its a security camera. No one was filming.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 10:35 am
"It is extremely important to install security cameras."

It's also extremely important to watch your kids.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 10:36 am
I can't watch this type of video. How did the child come to be alone with the dog?

sourstix

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 10:37 am
and you know all you need is turn around for a split second and the dog attacks at that moment. all of us need to watch the kids and the dogs and most of all the police should have taken measures earlier and those owners should not be allowed any dogs. period.

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 11:04 am
sourstix wrote:
and you know all you need is turn around for a split second and the dog attacks at that moment. all of us need to watch the kids and the dogs and most of all the police should have taken measures earlier and those owners should not be allowed any dogs. period.

That was no split second. Those kids had no adult supervision.

That pit bull was known to roam around without a leash. The authorities were called several times before this incident to report this.

Also, did you notice the non-jews ran to the kid?

saw50st8

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 11:06 am
amother wrote:
"It is extremely important to install security cameras."

It's also extremely important to watch your kids.

A few days ago, my mother's neighbor's pit bull got out of their house and ran into her house when she opened the door. All four of my kids were in the house at the time. Baruch Hashem nothing happened! Even watching your kids doesn't ensure that a pit bull won't attack your kids.

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 11:13 am
saw50st8 wrote:
A few days ago, my mother's neighbor's pit bull got out of their house and ran into her house when she opened the door. All four of my kids were in the house at the time. Baruch Hashem nothing happened! Even watching your kids doesn't ensure that a pit bull won't attack your kids.

There was an adult there to deal with the emergency. Watching your kids doesn't insure against situations. If there is CY a fire or a neighbor's loose pit bill dog in house, then adults can cope better than children.

The adult wouldn't run away and leave the weakest kid to get attacked.

sequoia

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 11:17 am
My friend's parents have this nasty, awful cocker spaniel. She's anxious, aggressive, poops on the floor, bites guests, and is always shaking with fear. They did a terrible job raising her -- they didn't train her at all! Dogs need to be trained properly. It's not the dog's fault if its owners are ignorant. They're animals, and pack animals at that. They *need* to know someone else is in charge, or they'll have severe anxiety that manifests as aggression.

On the other hand, I've met some well-trained Rottweilers and Germans who are just a joy.

Pit bulls make a little nervous -- they all look like they work out at the gym 😄 -- so I avoid them.

When a dog is potentially vicious, it is even more important not to act afraid. If you run or act scared, they're more likely to react.

Sadie

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 11:19 am
amother wrote:
Kids should not be afraid of dogs or of people for that matter. They should be taught how to recognize when an animal or person can be considered safe and when it can't. With dogs, a general rule is to ask the owner of the dog if it is friendly before approaching.

Yes, learning dog safety is very important, much like learning to be safe around cars rather than just afraid of them.

Number one is to not approach a dog without permission from the owner.

Kids should be taught to understand dog body language. Ears, tail, and posture all indicate whether a dog is approachable or not.

Kids should learn how to play with dogs. Even a friendly dog can end up biting if it's being hit, poked, tied up, or if its ears or tail are being pulled, or if a child puts their fingers in the dog's eyes or mouth.

An adult should always be supervising when a child is playing with a dog.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 11:24 am
If you are charged by a dog, and there is no safe place to retreat, the best thing to do is to freeze. Stand your ground, but do not look the dog in the eyes. In your deepest possible voice, without showing any fear, say "Go home!", but whatever you do, DO NOT MOVE!

If you move, scream, make any high pitched sounds, or G-d forbid run away, you will be seen as prey, and the dog will become extremely excited about chasing you down. Acting like a frightened or wounded animal is the WORST possible thing you can do.

Looking directly at the dog is a challenge for pack leadership. You will not win. Looking away shows that you are not threatening the dog's territory.

If anyone is nearby, in a very calm voice, say "Go get help. I need to get away from this dog." Stay right where you are until there are enough people to gather around you for protection, and to control the animal. A dog generally will not challenge a group who is giving off strong energy of safety.

(If you practice stranger safety and fire drills with your kids, you MUST practice animal safety too. It's nearly impossible to get a toddler to stand still and be quiet, but if you practice it at home often, it may save his/her life. Make it a game, like "Simon Says".)

After the dog has gone, call the police and animal control. Then bentch gomel!

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 11:28 am
I'm an adult and dont know what do I do if I'm with my kids and a dog runs at us or into my house!!

saw50st8

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 11:34 am
Squishy wrote:
There was an adult there to deal with the emergency. Watching your kids doesn't insure against situations. If there is CY a fire or a neighbor's loose pit bill dog in house, then adults can cope better than children.

The adult wouldn't run away and leave the weakest kid to get attacked.

All the adults in the house at the time, except my step father, were terrified of dogs and would not have been able to protect my kids appropriately. Terrified adults don't always react well in emergencies.

I'm not saying you should let your kids run around wild, but a loose pitbull is not a normal situation to watch out for when your kids are playing outside!

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 11:40 am
amother wrote:
I'm an adult and dont know what do I do if I'm with my kids and a dog runs at us or into my house!!

I think it's terrible that most people don't know about dog safety. Your kid is far more likely to get bitten by a neighbor's dog than to be abducted by a stranger - but what do we obsess about more?

If a dog runs into your house, keep the door open, and retreat to a room where you can close the door between you and it. Grab your cell phone on the way, so you can call 911. Stay in a safe room until you know the dog has either left, or been removed.

PRESS CHARGES!

Too many people don't follow through, and then a week later when someone gets bit, they feel guilty that they didn't do more. You don't want that on your head.

Everyone should consider an off-leash dog, to be the same thing as a loaded gun laying around. It might get triggered, or it might not, but you have no way of knowing until it's too late.

I am a huge dog lover, but I also live in the real world. When preventable tragedies happen I tend to get on my soap box.

/pet peeve (pun intended!)

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 11:58 am
Ok and what about if we're outside which is probably more likely?

crust

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 12:19 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I think it's terrible that most people don't know about dog safety. Your kid is far more likely to get bitten by a neighbor's dog than to be abducted by a stranger - but what do we obsess about more?

Uh oh! It depends where you live FF.
Where I live no neighbor owns a dog, but there are enough dogs on two feet I had to train my kids about.
Although My kids love animals and want pictures taken with every puppy they meet they would never know what to do if it becomes wild.
I appreciate you making me aware of this.
In your opinion what could this toddler have done?
Just wondering to what degree kids could be trained.
Thanks

Fox

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 1:06 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
PRESS CHARGES!

Too many people don't follow through, and then a week later when someone gets bit, they feel guilty that they didn't do more. You don't want that on your head.

ITA with everything FF said, but I want to reiterate this.

While any dog can be triggered to act aggressively, the most violent dog attacks are usually a culmination of aggressive behavior over a period of time. Frequently the dog has been reported to police repeatedly and the owner has even been to court!

Unfortunately, the police and courts feel overburdened with so much human mayhem that they don't do much to follow up or enforce court orders concerning potentially dangerous animals. If no one complains, they consider the problem solved.

So don't be afraid to be a pest. If a local dog is exhibiting aggressive behavior, call the police as many times as needed. A dog that is unrestrained or inadequately restrained and has exhibited aggressive behavior in the past (growling, snapping) is more of a time bomb than a loaded gun.

cnc

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 1:09 pm
crust wrote:
Uh oh! It depends where you live FF.
Where I live no neighbor owns a dog, but there are enough dogs on two feet I had to train my kids about.
Although My kids love animals and want pictures taken with every puppy they meet they would never know what to do if it becomes wild.
I appreciate you making me aware of this.
In your opinion what could this toddler have done?
Just wondering to what degree kids could be trained.
Thanks

In this specific scenario - I believe the toddler couldn't have done anything. FWIH this dog was purposely set loose multiple times to scare people. It's not a normal standard situation . I think those posts about teaching dog safety and training children how to interact with dogs have no relevance to this specific incident.

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 1:26 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
All the adults in the house at the time, except my step father, were terrified of dogs and would not have been able to protect my kids appropriately. Terrified adults don't always react well in emergencies.

I'm not saying you should let your kids run around wild, but a loose pitbull is not a normal situation to watch out for when your kids are playing outside!

That particular loose pit bull was reported multiple times for being a loose pit bull. He doesn't escape the house.

That was the normal situation on that block.

Do you honestly believe that terrified adults don't have better cognative abilities and coping skills than terrified children?

MrsDash

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 1:32 pm
Tzutzie wrote:
This is beyond horrific.
Crying Crying

The poor poor baby.

I feel a sorry for the dog owners. But that dog shouldn't be in an environment where it can injure people.

Rs to that little boy.
Just terrible

The owners are the reason why this dog is so badly behaved.

Tzutzie

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 1:39 pm
MrsDash wrote:
The owners are the reason why this dog is so badly behaved.

You are right.
On the video it sounded like there were children crying.
I feel sad for the children. Not the adults.

And honestly, if the dog was purposely left to wonder outside to scare poeple, then putting the dog down and a fine is at all not enough. The parents /adults in the house should be punished a lot worse.

Anyone know how the little boy is doing?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics