Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Toddler Viciously Attacked By Pitbull :(
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

rainbow dash

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 2:00 pm
The same thing happened today in here in Antwerp. A teenager was walking back from an outing with the school when she tripped and fell. The Rottweiler thought she was pray and attacked her. Bh there was police near by.

WhatFor

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 2:03 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
More people are bitten by poodles and cocker spaniels every year, than all the large breeds put together. My chihuahuas are more likely to attack than a pit bull.

Unless a dog is bred with a neurological disorder, dogs are no better or worse than the people who own them. Dogs who are bred to fight or protect will have a stronger instinctive drive, but it's on the owner to train, control, and raise that dog to be a member of society.

Some of the sweetest dogs I've ever known have been pits, rotties, and dobermans, in the hands of responsible people. Some of the worst dogs I've known have been toy breeds, who have been "babied" by their stupid owners.

Dogs don't kill people, irresponsible dog owners kill people. Mad Mad Mad

I agree that once a dog has attacked or killed, it should be put down. I also think that a fine is not nearly enough of a punishment for the owners. The should be jailed, and banned from having a pet for life.

Thank you FF. It's sad that pitties have such a bad rep because they're exploited, abused, and trained to fight. They can be the sweetest loveliest dogs when they're not being abused and trained to be aggressive fighters.

I only feel uncomfortable around a pitbull if their owner looks sketchy.

I have friends raising their children with the cutest pitbulls and it's so sweet to see how in love and protective they are with the kids.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 2:07 pm
Squishy wrote:
That particular loose pit bull was reported multiple times for being a loose pit bull. He doesn't escape the house.

That was the normal situation on that block.

Do you honestly believe that terrified adults don't have better cognative abilities and coping skills than terrified children?

I can't speak to that situation. There are many factors which affect it and I'm not going to judge the parents. I judge the pit bull owners.

Some adults who have had trauma with dogs cannot function around them. So it really depends. But usually, yes, adults do have better cognitive skills and abilities than little kids.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 2:09 pm
WhatFor wrote:
Thank you FF. It's sad that pitties have such a bad rep because they're exploited, abused, and trained to fight. They can be the sweetest loveliest dogs when they're not being abused and trained to be aggressive fighters.

I only feel uncomfortable around a pitbull if their owner looks sketchy.

I have friends raising their children with the cutest pitbulls and it's so sweet to see how in love and protective they are with the kids.

The larger breed dogs have the ability to harm much more than a small dog. Even well trained dogs sometimes act out - they are still animals. My coworker's son's pit bull bit off part of his face (he needed reconstructive surgery) for a perceived threat from his owner.

I don't trust any large dogs, regardless of how nice the owner is. An animal is an animal after all.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 2:49 pm
cnc wrote:
In this specific scenario - I believe the toddler couldn't have done anything. FWIH this dog was purposely set loose multiple times to scare people. It's not a normal standard situation . I think those posts about teaching dog safety and training children how to interact with dogs have no relevance to this specific incident.

Ok but toddlers should not be out alone especially if a dangerous dog is known to roam loose in the area.

Mommastuff

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 5:37 pm
OMG! Incidents like this make me so mad! Dog attacks like these can not be allowed to happen and certainly not twice! Keeping a dog in the house for 10 days will not change it.

Of course the dog should be put down!! But the owner needs taken care of! A fine will do nothing. There needs to be stricter laws for dog owners.

I like dogs. I had a dog growing up. But to let this keep happening has got to change.

It is wrong to lock up the kids in the house because there are vicious dogs roaming around!

Poor boy!! He should have a refuah shlaymah!!

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 5:59 pm
amother wrote:
Ok but toddlers should not be out alone especially if a dangerous dog is known to roam loose in the area.

He was not left alone. There were several older looking kids with him. And it seems his mother was close by as well.

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 6:09 pm
this was a dog running to a group of kids out of nowhere ... nobody could have saved him short of the owners leashing him properly

total negligence

the child suffered & now the dog as well

in ohio they would put the dog down ... not punish it for 10 days

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 6:25 pm
amother wrote:
He was not left alone. There were several older looking kids with him. And it seems his mother was close by as well.

His mother seemed more concerned with herself than her todler. All those kids were left without adult supervision. The children were not old enough to supervise.

There was no one around to help the boy.

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 6:35 pm
Squishy wrote:
His mother seemed more concerned with herself than her todler. All those kids were left without adult supervision. The children were not old enough to supervise.

I noticed she was even too afraid to go around the held down dog ... a mother's instinct would be to leap regardless

but that is how many are raised

as FranticrFummie says little chihuahuas & poodles can get mighty out of control too ... so this is about the owners lack of controlling their pet or perhaps even training him to be a fighter

cnc

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 6:39 pm
Squishy wrote:

How do you know that the woman is his mother?
She seemed to be coming out of a different house.
I had assumed that she was a neighbor but she was handed the child just because she was he only familiar adult around.
I can be totally wrong- but this was the way I perceived it.

Last edited by cnc on Fri, Apr 21 2017, 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 6:41 pm
Why aren't the owners put in jail? Isn't it illegal to have a dog out with no leash?

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 7:27 pm
Squishy wrote:

That's what I thought at first as well but the truth is, even though I think I'd run in regardless I wouldn't want that judgement if I were in her shoes. Also, the truth is, we don't know that she's the mother (I hope I'd run in for neighbors toddler too tho)

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 7:48 pm
greenfire wrote:
this was a dog running to a group of kids out of nowhere ... nobody could have saved him short of the owners leashing him properly

total negligence

the child suffered & now the dog as well

in ohio they would put the dog down ... not punish it for 10 days

Ten day holds on dogs (or cats) is part of the rabies observation if the animal has bit a human. If a dog doesn't have tags and has bitten someone the majority of states require ten days isolation for the purpose of determining if it has rabies. Same happens with cats. This is pretty much universal across all the states.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 1:54 pm
I just want to be perfectly clear, in NO WAY do I blame the toddler, or even the parents, for what happened. Even the dog was a victim here. No amount of dog safety training can help when a dog is intent on doing mayhem.

My first instinct would be to scream and run, too! I'm just saying that as in the case of a house fire, you have to learn how to manage your emotions to ensure the best chance of survival.

The dog owners were 100% at fault, end of story. The laws are nowhere near strict enough.

A 10 day hold on an aggressive animal doesn't do much. Most animal control places don't have enough temperament evaluators to really assess all the dogs properly. They are kept in kennels, and by the time they are returned home - their energy explodes like a jack-in-the-box. This is especially true if the dog is used to running free, or getting a lot of exercise. All that pent up energy is just primed to go off at the slightest opportunity.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 2:03 pm
sequoia wrote:
My friend's parents have this nasty, awful cocker spaniel. She's anxious, aggressive, poops on the floor, bites guests, and is always shaking with fear. They did a terrible job raising her -- they didn't train her at all! Dogs need to be trained properly. It's not the dog's fault if its owners are ignorant. They're animals, and pack animals at that. They *need* to know someone else is in charge, or they'll have severe anxiety that manifests as aggression.

Yep. Sudden Onset Rage Syndrome: https://www.doglistener.co.uk/.....shtml

People buy dogs because "they like the way they look", but they don't examine the genetic background of the parents, screen for medical issues, or take into consideration what the dog was bred for.

I bred a line of Australian Shepherds that was very sound, but one case of epilepsy popped up that had been recessive 3 generations back on the father's side. As soon as the puppy's owner called me with the bad news, I immediately sent them a check to cover the cost of neutering the dog, and told them that under NO conditions was that dog to be allowed to breed. The dog lived a long and happy life with daily medication, but it was not fair to risk continue those genes.

I also called the owners of every other puppy out of that litter, and put them on alert to look for seizures. Thankfully, it was just that one dog out of a litter of 10.

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 10:30 pm
I'm the neighbor that posted earlier.

I have to say, this finger-pointing is quite sad and disgusting.

Yes, parents need to watch their kids, but in this situation:

1. The security camera only has limited scope, so you can't see the parents that are nearby. There were several parents outside on that sidewalk that came running as soon they could get there. The clip ends right before parents reached the child.

2. Fear paralyzes. The closest parent, the woman that picked up the child, was absolutely paralyzed. Her body would not function. Afterwards, she was shaking so violently that she almost needed emergency help herself. NOBODY knows how they will respond to emergency situations until they are in one. It is completely wrong to say YOU would have run to the child. How do you know you would have been able to?
Soldiers that have experienced trauma speak of the dreadful effects of being surrounded by dead and dying; many times they lose control of their bowels and bladders or vomit or faint.
Do you think you could handle trauma better? Pray that you are never tested.

3. There was absolutely nothing that anyone did to provoke that dog and little they could have done to stop it. Except, perhaps, the owners.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 1:06 am
Excuse my ignorance ladies, what kind dog is a pitbull dog?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 2:00 am
amother wrote:
Excuse my ignorance ladies, what kind dog is a pitbull dog?

A breed of dogs. Medium to small size. They have a nose that looks squished and grunt a lot. When raised right they can be really cute friendly dogs. But lonesome other breeds, they are known to also be trained to be notably aggressive.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 7:27 am
Iymnok wrote:
A breed of dogs. Medium to small size. They have a nose that looks squished and grunt a lot. When raised right they can be really cute friendly dogs. But lonesome other breeds, they are known to also be trained to be notably aggressive.

I think you might have that confused with the English Bulldog. I've never seen a pit with a squashed face, or who grunts. They are usually very quiet.

Pits come in a very wide variety of sizes and colors. The main features are extremely muscular, stocky build, very athletic looking, and a solid looking head.

By looking at these examples, you can see how many different types there are.

https://www.google.co.il/searc.....h=855

This is a perfect example of the classic American pit bull, very well bred.

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics