Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Toddler Viciously Attacked By Pitbull :(
Previous  1  2  3  4

anotherima

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 7:47 am
amother wrote:
I'm the neighbor that posted earlier.

I have to say, this finger-pointing is quite sad and disgusting.

Yes, parents need to watch their kids, but in this situation:

1. The security camera only has limited scope, so you can't see the parents that are nearby. There were several parents outside on that sidewalk that came running as soon they could get there. The clip ends right before parents reached the child.

2. Fear paralyzes. The closest parent, the woman that picked up the child, was absolutely paralyzed. Her body would not function. Afterwards, she was shaking so violently that she almost needed emergency help herself. NOBODY knows how they will respond to emergency situations until they are in one. It is completely wrong to say YOU would have run to the child. How do you know you would have been able to?
Soldiers that have experienced trauma speak of the dreadful effects of being surrounded by dead and dying; many times they lose control of their bowels and bladders or vomit or faint.
Do you think you could handle trauma better? Pray that you are never tested.

3. There was absolutely nothing that anyone did to provoke that dog and little they could have done to stop it. Except, perhaps, the owners.

Can you tell us how the poor child is doing? I feel so bad for him.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 11:03 am
Thanks lymnok and FF. that dog you posted looks scary to me!!

The video is HORRIFYING. I can't stop thinking of that poor kid.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 12:33 pm
Mommastuff wrote:
OMG! Incidents like this make me so mad! Dog attacks like these can not be allowed to happen and certainly not twice! Keeping a dog in the house for 10 days will not change it.

Of course the dog should be put down!! But the owner needs taken care of! A fine will do nothing. There needs to be stricter laws for dog owners.

I like dogs. I had a dog growing up. But to let this keep happening has got to change.

It is wrong to lock up the kids in the house because there are vicious dogs roaming around!

Poor boy!! He should have a refuah shlaymah!!

I read up on NY state law last night. The 10 day hold is for rabies when there is no proof of vaccination, it is not a behavioral hold. I'm surprised that if this animal was an ongoing problem in the neighborhood that people didn't request a dangerous animal hearing. Apparently NY state has some of the strictest dangerous dog laws in the country. The law also covers liability for any harm the dog inflicts on someone and property damage incurred. Municipalities may have their own laws and regulations, but one thing is certain (from reading the statue), dangerous animal hearings are the norm if a dog bites or harasses people or pets within NY state.

debsey

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 12:40 pm
Zehava wrote:
Terrifying! I teach my kids not to be afraid of dogs. Maybe I should reconsider.
Your kids should always be cautious in the presence of a strange dog. Ask the owner if he's friendly before approaching. Never approach a stray dog or a dog not on a leash with no owner in sight. It's like a car. Should you be afraid of cars? No. But you should be careful crossing the street!

debsey

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 4:25 pm
Squishy wrote:
His mother seemed more concerned with herself than her todler. All those kids were left without adult supervision. The children were not old enough to supervise.

There was no one around to help the boy.

what's with all the shaming and blaming on here? First of all, security cameras shoot a very restricted range, and that shot can be deceptive. For all you know, his mother was a few feet down the block, talking to her neighbor. Do you really think watching your kids, even your toddlers, means hovering over them like a helicopter? It's totally normal to be standing outside and having your kid ride his trike or scooter or whatever and he'll range a few feet away from you. It's healthy - the kid shouldn't be surgically attached to his mom unless he's an infant.

second, do you know what it's like to approach a snarling wild animal? Most people would freeze in terror just as an involuntary response. In addition, even when you try to approach, you circle around to see what the best angle of approach is because a dog moves FAST. The mother's brain was probably split between looking around for help, like the dog's owner, getting people to call police, and trying to grab the kid while she's physically shaking like a leaf.

I guess we should all say - Boruch Hashem you don't have insight. I hope Hashem never gives that insight to you.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 5:54 pm
amother wrote:
I'm the neighbor that posted earlier.

I have to say, this finger-pointing is quite sad and disgusting.

Yes, parents need to watch their kids, but in this situation:

1. The security camera only has limited scope, so you can't see the parents that are nearby. There were several parents outside on that sidewalk that came running as soon they could get there. The clip ends right before parents reached the child.

2. Fear paralyzes. The closest parent, the woman that picked up the child, was absolutely paralyzed. Her body would not function. Afterwards, she was shaking so violently that she almost needed emergency help herself. NOBODY knows how they will respond to emergency situations until they are in one. It is completely wrong to say YOU would have run to the child. How do you know you would have been able to?
Soldiers that have experienced trauma speak of the dreadful effects of being surrounded by dead and dying; many times they lose control of their bowels and bladders or vomit or faint.
Do you think you could handle trauma better? Pray that you are never tested.

3. There was absolutely nothing that anyone did to provoke that dog and little they could have done to stop it. Except, perhaps, the owners.

I finally worked up the courage to watch the video. Poor baby, so horrifying.

Coffee- I think I saw posts saying that dog had previously tried to attack someone? Is that true?? In any case, these owners were clearly irresponsible and demonstrated no concern for anyone- not the children and not the dog. Can people that reckless get criminally charged?

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 6:12 pm
When a dog is in the midst of attacking there are a variety of strategies to get the dog to back off- otherwise YOU can very well be attacked as well.

I used to take our standard poodle t the dog park and always was within a few feet of her until one day we witnessed a terrible dog attack on the other side of the park. It was AWFUL and TWO grown men had their arms bitten very badly as they attempted to separate their dogs. And they were long time dog owners

I grabbed my dog and left.

You never know what can set a dog off- they are animals.

We trained our dog very well and have had her for 6 years but she is NEVER off leash, except at the dog park.

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 8:27 pm
debsey wrote:
what's with all the shaming and blaming on here? First of all, security cameras shoot a very restricted range, and that shot can be deceptive. For all you know, his mother was a few feet down the block, talking to her neighbor. Do you really think watching your kids, even your toddlers, means hovering over them like a helicopter? It's totally normal to be standing outside and having your kid ride his trike or scooter or whatever and he'll range a few feet away from you. It's healthy - the kid shouldn't be surgically attached to his mom unless he's an infant.

second, do you know what it's like to approach a snarling wild animal? Most people would freeze in terror just as an involuntary response. In addition, even when you try to approach, you circle around to see what the best angle of approach is because a dog moves FAST. The mother's brain was probably split between looking around for help, like the dog's owner, getting people to call police, and trying to grab the kid while she's physically shaking like a leaf.

I guess we should all say - Boruch Hashem you don't have insight. I hope Hashem never gives that insight to you.

I guess I am sick of kids getting hurt in this community because many mothers don't practice common sense supervision. Babies are hurt not buckled into their carseats. The kids dont like seatbelts, so they are not used. Kids are left unattened on monitors while the parents go to simchas.

Kids run around unsupervised in certain neighborhoods. This is a sad fact. I drive through them often, and there are no adults outside. There is no one meeting buses. In my area, a young girl was killed by a car backing up. Young kids are still outside unattended on that block. In one development, a kid had his leg broken on a Friday afternoon by a car backing up. A couple of weeks later, it was his brother who had his arm broken. We have two year olds crossing the street unsupervised in my neighborhood. I can think of five times I have seen this. Babies are left in outside stores unattended. I could go on. I never heard of this parenting style until I moved to Monsey.

It is so obvious to me that you dont let kids play outside unattended especially when there is a known problem animal running around. Could it be possible the mother was right there? Sure. Is it much more probable that she was not especially when the kids didn't run to her or scream for her and there was no sound from her on the tape alerting them to danger? Definitely. Was she close enough? Obviously not.

I am not a dog person. But that dog was not a snarling wild animal. He was wagging his tail.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 8:42 pm
Squishy wrote:
I guess I am sick of kids getting hurt in this community because many mothers don't practice common sense supervision. Babies are hurt not buckled into their carseats. The kids dont like seatbelts, so they are not used. Kids are left unattened on monitors while the parents go to simchas.

Kids run around unsupervised in certain neighborhoods. This is a sad fact. I drive through them often, and there are no adults outside. There is no one meeting buses. In my area, a young girl was killed by a car backing up. Young kids are still outside unattended on that block. In one development, a kid had his leg broken on a Friday afternoon by a car backing up. A couple of weeks later, it was his brother who had his arm broken. We have two year olds crossing the street unsupervised in my neighborhood. I can think of five times I have seen this. Babies are left in outside stores unattended. I could go on. I never heard of this parenting style until I moved to Monsey.

It is so obvious to me that you dont let kids play outside unattended especially when there is a known problem animal running around. Could it be possible the mother was right there? Sure. Is it much more probable that she was not especially when the kids didn't run to her or scream for her and there was no sound from her on the tape alerting them to danger? Definitely. Was she close enough? Obviously not.

I am not a dog person. But that dog was not a snarling wild animal. He was wagging his tail.

I am a dog lover. And that dog attacked that baby.

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 8:58 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I am a dog lover. And that dog attacked that baby.

That the dog attacked the baby is not in dispute. Pit bulls and babies should not mix. But the dog was wagging his tail. The dog, at that moment, was not a snarling wild animal. I didn't hear any snarling.

BH for the non jews who stopped to help the baby.

anotherima

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 9:02 pm
"But that dog was not a snarling wild animal. He was wagging his tail."

I think the dog wagged his tail when the owners came to take him away.

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 9:06 pm
anotherima wrote:
"But that dog was not a snarling wild animal. He was wagging his tail."

I think the dog wagged his tail when the owners came to take him away.

AFAIK, those weren't his owners.

happybeingamom

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 9:06 pm
Squishy wrote:

I don't know how you can accuse a mother with no facts based on previous behavior of other people.

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 9:27 pm
happybeingamom wrote:
I don't know how you can accuse a mother with no facts based on previous behavior of other people.

The tape was the basis.

I was explaining why I was blaming the mother and why I care. Every possible excuse is always used to explain why basic safety was not practiced when kids get hurt.

The mother of the two boys who got hurt eruv Shabbos in the development blamed it on crazy drivers rushing. She took zero responsibility when she told me the story. You can't even imagine some of the conversations and the inability to link negligence with injury to a child I have had with mothers.

Don't watch your kids especially when you know there is a loose pitbull in the neighborhood. Some random stranger will probably be around to stop and help.

happybeingamom

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 9:40 pm
Squishy wrote:
The tape was the basis.

I was explaining why I was blaming the mother and why I care. Every possible excuse is always used to explain why basic safety was not practiced when kids get hurt.

The mother of the two boys who got hurt eruv Shabbos in the development blamed it on crazy drivers rushing. She took zero responsibility when she told me the story. You can't even imagine some of the conversations and the inability to link negligence with injury to a child I have had with mothers.

Don't watch your kids especially when you know there is a loose pitbull in the neighborhood. Some random stranger will probably be around to stop and help.

I saw the tape and there is no evidence that can say one way or another that the mother was negligent.

I agree that there are people who don't think of what can happen but you don't know this about this mother so you can't accuse based on the behavior of other people.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics