Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Waterbury Connecticut

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 9:29 am
Hi,
My family and I are thinking to relocate to Waterbury, Ct for a simpler and more affordable life (especially in terms of housing costs). We heard great things about the people and environment. Can anyone chime in about life in Waterbury?

We are coming from Queens, NY where my daughter goes to Bais Yaakov of Queens and my son to Tiferes Moshe. My husband and I both work full time and he learns mornings and nights. My husband wants to try to work fewer hours and spend more time learning. Where do working people learn? Is the kollel open to everyone? He would love to find a chavrusa...

Are there any Sephardim there? Would it be difficult for a Sephardic family to "integrate" and be accepted? What is the religious level like? Are all the people similar in level or is there a range? What are the schools like? Is there a boys high school?
Eruv?
What do stay at home mothers do all day with the kids?
Entertainment? Food? I heard there is only one pizza store, where to couples go out for "date night"?
What are the shuls like? are they all similar or geared to different "types?"
How easy is it to find a job as a speech therapist?
Thank you! Any info would be helpful.

newmother

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 10:09 am
Any friends of mine who moved there love the community and are very happy but they and their husbands struggled to find jobs.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 9:06 pm
Does anyone have any more information about Waterbury?

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 11:28 pm
amother wrote:
Does anyone have any more information about Waterbury?

What would you like to know.
My daughter lives there and loves it. Only problem is that it is far from us.
But when I go there for a shabbos everyone is very friendly and laid back.

sim

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 6:33 am
Feel free to pm me.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 8:42 am
Thanks sim, I will.
What types of ppl are there? If my husband is a professional but only wears white shirts and black pants, would we fit in? What schools are there for the kids? Bais Yaakov and cheder options? What are the shuls like? If I want to look on zillow at houses to get an idea, can you give me a street name or zip to look at?
I have no connection to Waterbury, but trying to get out of new York but stay on east coast.

sim

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 8:50 am
amother wrote:
Thanks sim, I will.
What types of ppl are there? If my husband is a professional but only wears white shirts and black pants, would we fit in? What schools are there for the kids? Bais Yaakov and cheder options? What are the shuls like? If I want to look on zillow at houses to get an idea, can you give me a street name or zip to look at?
I have no connection to Waterbury, but trying to get out of new York but stay on east coast.

Sounds to me like you'd fit in just fine.
There's one school, with a boys' division and a girls' division (totally separate). The girls' school is pretty much like most BYs. The boys' division is regular mainstream yeshivish. There's a girls' HS through 12th, and a boys' mesivta (a branch of Yesodei Hatorah) which currently has a 9th and 10th, and next year will have an 11th.
There are three shuls; one is the Yeshiva Gedolah, one is Bnai Shalom, and there's a shteebl called Ahavas Yisroel. The YG and BS are nusach ashkenaz and the shteebl is nusach sfard.

If you're looking on Zillow, check out Columbia Boulevard, Euclid, Hewlett, Yates, Cables, Crescent, Farmington, Kenilworth, Calumet, and Fleming streets.
Again, feel free to pm me and I can answer at greater length and with more detail.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 10:45 pm
bump. any updated info on the community? is it still growing? approximately how many families there? what is housing like? what are the schools like? would a family with no connection at all/ know nobody in waterbury feel comfortable there? are the people very in towny/is there materialism there like brooklyn/lakewood etc. thanks

avigail

Post Sun, Apr 07 2019, 11:06 pm
Its growing slowly and steady. About 250 families I believe.
Housing is ridiculously affordable compared to most frum communities, rentals, sales and new construction available.
We moved recently from Brooklyn, knew some people but no real connections. Many people have done it recently, are doing it. very happy with the school, warm welcoming community etc
Many of us are originally from Brooklyn/5 towns/ Lakewood. Some dress well, some less. Overall much lower level of materialism.
Feel free to PM me with specific questions, or come visit for shabbos.

sim

Post Mon, Apr 08 2019, 7:05 am
I posted upthread, but please feel free to PM me. I've been here for a long time.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 6:58 pm
Bump. Any updated info would be appreciated Smile

amother
Bluebell

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 7:38 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Bump. Any updated info would be appreciated Smile

What do you want to know?

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 9:14 am
I'm curious the general feel for the community, mainly in terms of level of materialism. Does it feel like Bkln/Lakewood, etc? Or is there less an emphasis on materialism and keeping uo with the Johanesses.
Is it a warm vibe, or more clique?

Thank you for your time!

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 9:18 am
What is the cost for a simple 4 bedroom house these days?

amother
Narcissus

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 10:52 am
amother [ Pear ] wrote:
What is the cost for a simple 4 bedroom house these days?

Depending on the area and the condition of the house, it can cost anywhere between $250,000 and $400,000. Prices have been climbing recently, but the most expensive homes are generally on solid frum "bungalow colony" blocks.

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:17 pm
Bump can anyone give more info on school hours for different ages? Or any other pertinent info for people considering moving here?

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 8:54 pm
amother [ Crocus ] wrote:
Bump can anyone give more info on school hours for different ages? Or any other pertinent info for people considering moving here?

There's one school k-8. Call them for hours. They make you visit before you apply and then applying doesn't guarantee acceptance. They're having a hard time handling the huge influx of people.

The bais Yaakov isn't a community school and many girls have to go away for HS bc they're not accepted. This surprised me.

oohlala

Post Sun, Jan 23 2022, 9:08 pm
Just pm sim (see above) and she’ll tell you everything you need to know 🙂

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 6:28 pm
bumping this again as we are also considering waterbury and would love any and all info on the housing there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating