Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
Hobby to smell terrago shoe polish.
1  2  Next

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 12:04 pm
Is this a hooby or an addiction?

tigerwife

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 12:12 pm
Are you doing it to get high? I can't imagine calling it a hobby rather than a quirk. An addiction depends on many other factors, such as how dependent you are on in.

zaq

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 12:16 pm
A hobby is usually something at least vaguely constructive. This sounds like an addiction. Even if it doesn't technically satisfy the definition of an addiction, it's not healthy. Shoe polish is solvent based, yes, even paste polish, and sniffing solvents is never a good idea. If you value your brain, kidneys and liver, cease and desist. You're essentially doing drugs.

sequoia

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 12:21 pm
No, it's not a hobby.

With a hobby, you have something to show for it, like a stamp collection, an embroidered pillow, or a garden. Something that is entirely passive, like watching Netflix, does not qualify as a hobby.

This is aside from the health concerns.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 12:32 pm
I'm not dependant on it at all. It's like smelling a flower to someone else. I like it. I smell it when I polish shoes or I come across it. I never had a thought like; oh I'm so down let's smell terrago.
I also love the smell of fresh alcohol swabs, paint, fresh wood, fresh newspaper.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 12:35 pm
That is a really weird question. No, definitely not a hobby. Addiction? Well, if you're polishing shoes daily just to get a whiff you might have a little problem there.

studying_torah

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 3:26 pm
Do solvents give a high like drugs?
I recall a teacher in high school once discussing kids sniffing some spray and I was so confused. Guess I still am.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 6:25 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Do solvents give a high like drugs?
I recall a teacher in high school once discussing kids sniffing some spray and I was so confused. Guess I still am.

Yes, some do and there are people who abuse inhalants, everything from shoe polish, to nail polish remover, to spray paints and some household cleaners. These are all easily abused.

I wonder if the OP would care if she had a teen huffing shoe polish or paint?

happy12

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 6:39 pm
Yes. It's called huffing and is a drug addiction which can lead to brain damage.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 6:56 pm
https://www.google.com/url?sa=.....1jDOA

Thanks for giving it a name. I googled it this is what I found
According to what I read;
I'm not addicted.

I sniff stuff once a week or less.

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 7:00 pm
you're sniffing for pleasure aka huffing ... yeah it's an addiction ... get help - save lives !!!

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 7:04 pm
greenfire wrote:
you're sniffing for pleasure aka huffing ... yeah it's an addiction ... get help - save lives !!!

Where??
I'm petrified
It sounds so scary to realise you are addicted!

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 7:58 pm
amother wrote:

Thanks for giving it a name. I googled it this is what I found
According to what I read;
I'm not addicted.

I sniff stuff once a week or less.

Any kind of solvent huffing destroys brain cells and can damage your liver and kidneys permanently.

(This thread really highlights the need for substance abuse education in the frum community and schools. >Stepping down from soapbox.)

DrMom

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 3:22 pm
happy12 wrote:
Yes. It's called huffing and is a drug addiction which can lead to brain damage.

This. And this is not a "hobby."

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 6:04 pm
OP, can you identify a trigger that makes you want to smell the polish? When you are stressed, does polishing shoes calm you down?

Alternatively, do you have any happy memories of a favorite relative who had a similar smell? I used to play in my great grandmother's closet, and ever since I've always loved the smell of the mix of moth balls and Emeraude perfume (but neither of them separately!)

In the first case, you are definitely using to alter your anxiety states.

In the second case, you are using because you need to feel nurtured.

Either way, a therapist can help you get to the bottom of this. There may be other triggers that I don't know about. You don't need to say them here, just think about it over the next few weeks, and write them down. See if you find a pattern there, and then get some help.

Your brain and body will thank you for it.
------------------------------------------------------

I have a friend in the jewelry design business. She worked with E-6000 glue, and because she was in a cold climate, she kept the windows closed. She ended up getting bladder cancer, and the doctors told her it was directly related to the glue. It caused the same cancer in rats.

She still sells the glue in her shop, but she gives everyone a handout with her story printed on it, so that they will take it seriously and use proper ventilation.

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 10:51 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
OP, can you identify a trigger that makes you want to smell the polish? When you are stressed, does polishing shoes calm you down?

Alternatively, do you have any happy memories of a favorite relative who had a similar smell? I used to play in my great grandmother's closet, and ever since I've always loved the smell of the mix of moth balls and Emeraude perfume (but neither of them separately!)

In the first case, you are definitely using to alter your anxiety states.

In the second case, you are using because you need to feel nurtured.

Either way, a therapist can help you get to the bottom of this. There may be other triggers that I don't know about. You don't need to say them here, just think about it over the next few weeks, and write them down. See if you find a pattern there, and then get some help.

Your brain and body will thank you for it.
------------------------------------------------------
t.

I appreciate your input.
You got me thinking.
I usually hate any smell that reminds me of my youth. I was in therapy but I never even mentioned this to my therapist. I was too depressed while I saw her to sniff anything, I wasn't in the mood.
It does give me a sense of nurturance. A certain feeling of being held sort of.

happy12

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 11:12 pm
One time may be one time too much. About 30 years ago there was an ad on CBS radio .it went like this.
Today is stevie's birthday. I fed him And bathed him and I'm waiting for his father to come home with the cake. Stevie turned 15 today. Then she goes on how he was normal until a few months before when he inhaled from an aerosol can and destroyed his brain and now he is like a 1 year old.
The ad was a warning about huffing.
I taught my children about it at a young age together with smoking.

oliveoil

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 11:44 pm
This is not a hobby. It's a compulsion.

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 11:47 pm
oliveoil wrote:
This is not a hobby. It's a compulsion.

OP here
Lol
Maybe you're right.

Tzutzie

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 11:56 pm
Depending on when and how you do it. And why.

Many people enjoy the smells of many different things. As long as its just that. You enjoy it when it happens and move on.
Like smelling flowers or fresh food. Hmmmm

I know someone who loves the smell of fresh paint. My niece likes the smell of the curing used on floors
And a clean freak who enjoys the smell of bleach.
Yuck yuck yuck.

On the other hands, as a kid I loved smelling the old fashioned receipt paper. The rough ones that had some weird chemical smell... I think they don't make them anymore.

Op, what would happend if you wouldn't have shoe polish in the house?
Would you go get some to get a whiff of it. Or try another thing that smells similar.

Or would you juat forget about it until you come across it (or a thread that reminds you of it Wink ) and enjoy it when you do?

I think this is the difference between a mushigas and addiction.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics