Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
Hobby to smell terrago shoe polish.
Previous  1  2

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 9:37 pm
Tzutzie wrote:
Depending on when and how you do it. And why.

Many people enjoy the smells of many different things. As long as its just that. You enjoy it when it happens and move on.
Like smelling flowers or fresh food. Hmmmm

I know someone who loves the smell of fresh paint. My niece likes the smell of the curing used on floors
And a clean freak who enjoys the smell of bleach.
Yuck yuck yuck.

On the other hands, as a kid I loved smelling the old fashioned receipt paper. The rough ones that had some weird chemical smell... I think they don't make them anymore.

Op, what would happend if you wouldn't have shoe polish in the house?
Would you go get some to get a whiff of it. Or try another thing that smells similar.

Or would you juat forget about it until you come across it (or a thread that reminds you of it Wink ) and enjoy it when you do?

I think this is the difference between a mushigas and addiction.

Honestly I also think so.
But some of the responses here are making me feel as though I have a terrible addiction issue.
I went into a panic before Shabbos but then over Shabbos I cleared my mind a bit. I'm definitely not addicted. I'm rather self aware of all my meshugasin.
I can throw out my terrago today. I can just stop. Its not like I muuuuust have it.
You know what? I don't even have to throw it out. I can just stop smelling it period. I have control over myself.

zaq

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 9:00 am
studying_torah wrote:
Do solvents give a high like drugs?
I recall a teacher in high school once discussing kids sniffing some spray and I was so confused. Guess I still am.
Yes they do. And in the process also affect other organ systems. Sniffing solvents is a great way to destroy your liver, central nervous system, kidneys, and blood forming system as well as injure any unborn child you may be carrying. Exact effects vary with the solvent and severity varies with the level of exposure. How strong the smell is is not an indicator of how bad the exposure is.

zaq

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 9:01 am
amother wrote:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.narconon.org/drug-abuse/inhalant-signs-symptoms.html&ved=0ahUKEwjJiI_sz7bTAhUI24MKHaEMBWIQFghJMAs&usg=AFQjCNEGcYjKm1JoANuK2IvUX0HaV43xtg&sig2=81__fNSr3-VO16ZzU1jDOA

Thanks for giving it a name. I googled it this is what I found
According to what I read;
I'm not addicted.

I sniff stuff once a week or less.

What would you say about a person who smokes once a week or less?

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 9:20 am
As someone who worked with people in addictions please ask yourself:
How often?
What occurs before you do it?
How do you feel during/after?
What happens if you can't find it?
Why won't you throw it away? You said you can have self control but if it is sitting on the counter, can you walk by it for a week or two without sniffing?
Has the amounts increased over time?
Do you find yourself finding ways to do it more often (polishing your husbands shoes, going into that drawer for something else...)?
Do you feel anxiety around its use?
**do you only do it in private?

Would you feel the same if your kid said they only smoked MJ regularly one day a week? Or snorted cocaine?

This is not a hobby. Hobbies need something productive to come about from it. Either a compulsion or an addiction. Do you have compulsive behaviors in other areas of your life? Anxieties?

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 9:21 am
amother wrote:
Honestly I also think so.
But some of the responses here are making me feel as though I have a terrible addiction issue.
I went into a panic before Shabbos but then over Shabbos I cleared my mind a bit. I'm definitely not addicted. I'm rather self aware of all my meshugasin.
I can throw out my terrago today. I can just stop. Its not like I muuuuust have it.
You know what? I don't even have to throw it out. I can just stop smelling it period. I have control over myself.

Honesty this sounds like addiction denial. Just throw it out.

zaq

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 9:40 am
amother wrote:
Honesty this sounds like addiction denial. Just throw it out.
Classically so. Textbook language. Every smoker on the planet and every lush "can quit any time I want to."

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 9:46 am
To clarify myself, I scheduled an appointment with therapist that specializes in addictions.
Thank you everyone.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 9:52 am
not sure if this was posted yet but I did research once (don't ask) and it seems there is a recognized phenomenon of people EATING shoepolish... because their bodies are missing fundamental minerals or vitamins, of which trace amounts exist in the polish. I myself remember quite clearly a young cousin who compulsively ripped off wallpaper to lick the glue (!!) beneath because she was salt deficient, something that drove her mother crazy until it was diagnosed and treated (and this goes back over twenty years!)

So before you panic perhaps schedule a physical or general appointment with your doctor (GP) as well. You may be surprised!

Hatzlocha!!!

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 9:55 am
amother wrote:
not sure if this was posted yet but I did research once (don't ask) and it seems there is a recognized phenomenon of people EATING shoepolish... because their bodies are missing fundamental minerals or vitamins, of which trace amounts exist in the polish. I myself remember quite clearly a young cousin who compulsively ripped off wallpaper to lick the glue (!!) beneath because she was salt deficient, something that drove her mother crazy until it was diagnosed and treated (and this goes back over twenty years!)

So before you panic perhaps schedule a physical or general appointment with your doctor (GP) as well. You may be surprised!

Hatzlocha!!!

I will do that also. Thanks for sharing.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics