Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Delicious Cholent Recipe Please!!!

toysrus

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 9:17 am
Mine always tastes nothing special....some peoples are so good...

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 9:23 am
Mine is very basic but very tasty. I get a lot of compliments. Basics: Lots of onion, garlic (fresh not powdered), meat (usually a strip or two of flanken plus a pack of marrow bones) and potatoes, barley, beans (I use canned, not fresh - one can is plenty for us) and salt. Sometimes I add a parve kishka to the top. My two "extra" ingredients that give it a unique flavor: smoked paprika and beer.

sky

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 10:18 am
I think this is the order of importance

- Lots on onions - I dice 1 - 2 and slice 1 onion
- Lots of salt
- Lots of onion powder (I always add more once done)
- Montreal Steak Seasoning, garlic powder, Paprika
- Honey or Brown sugar
- Ketchup
- Marrow Bones
- I don't notice a difference if I use cloves of garlic but some say it makes a big difference

pizza4

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 2:58 pm
I like ours, it's dh recipe and pretty simple. Sauté an onion and some garlic, add small chunks of meat (we use steak) one potato cut in chunks, 3/4 bag cholent beans, tablespoon salt, 3 tbsp paprika, some onion powder, water to cover and cook.

toysrus

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 12:36 pm
and what interesting things can u put in?

tichellady

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 1:27 pm
toysrus wrote:
and what interesting things can u put in?

Mergez sausage, lamb instead of beef,

YHM

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 1:31 pm
2 tablespoon Oil, 1 onion diced, 5 garlic cloves diced, 2 med size red potatoes peeled , flanken on the bone, 1 cup barley, 1 cup great northern beans, 1/2 cup cranberry beans. Handful of salt, squirt of ketchup and season well with paprika, black pepper, onion and garlic powder. Add water till everything is covered and some. The recipe comes out delicious every time based reviews I got Wink. Enjoy

Carmen Luna

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 1:54 pm
* Layer the bottom of the crockpot with a pack of marrow bones
ADD * 1 diced onion
* 1 diced potato
* 3 - 4 cloves garlic (smash it with a fork)
* Add lots of barley and white beans (kidney beans make for a heavy cholent)
* Put in a WHOLE kolichel/cheek meat, cutting it into chunks basically dries out the meat

* liberal amount of salt (potatoes and barley absorb salt so you don't want to be stingy)
* black pepper
* brown sugar

I find that a real good cholent depends on the way it was cooked. Some people make their cholent waaay too early, like Thursday night or Friday early morning, thus ending up with an overcooked a heavy-to-the-stomach cholent. I recommend you put up the cholent 3 hours before the zman and leave it to cook on the highest, and by the zman turn it down a notch to like 4 n' half. Also, adding too little water will leave you with a heavy cholent as well. Make sure that everything is covered fully in water.
Once the cholent is boiling already, add jachnun.

Carmen Luna

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 1:57 pm
Oh and I might add, ever so smugly, that every Shabbos after davening my husband brings over his brothers and friends for a bowl of cholent and they love it.
I once tried to change a few things, and they all insisted I keep to the original recipe

Talking about good cholent reminds me of a cute anecdote about Reb Shayale Kerestirer's Rebbetzin.

One Shabbos a simple man spent the Shabbos in Kerestir, and upon coming home after Shabbos, raved about the Rebbetzin's cholent! He kept on going on and on until his wife decided to ask the Rebbetzin for the recipe.
When the Rebbetzin gave her the recipe, she told her the following: potatoes, onions, beans, meat and the secret is, a lot of heart!
So, on went the woman, happy to have the killer recipe, and the next week she served her husband the special dish with unconcealed delight, but to her utter disappointment, her husband gagged when he took a bite. After inquiring what made him so squeamish, he told her, the cholent is full of chicken hearts (which are very rubbery, if anyone tasted them).
The poor woman thought that when the Rebbetzin said "heart", she meant actual chicken hearts

Raisin

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 2:52 pm
I really like my cholent.

Lots of fried onion and garlic. Saute with meat (chuck, shin, wtvr I have, I think its better with a bit of fat - I also leave it whole or in big chunks). Its quite heavy on the meat - at least 1 kg. Add cut up potatoes, about 6. 1 cup barley. salt. (lots) pepper. Osem soup mix. embarrassed water. You can add bones and kishke if you have but I usually don't. NO beans. We don't like them.

sky

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 6:59 pm
I also think the amount of water in the pot and how it cooks is very important.
I've been having crock pot issues lately and using different cooking methods then normal and ending up with a more watery and not thick cholent. Even though I'm using the same recipe its just not the same.

devorah1231

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 7:53 pm
My husband is in charge, with trial and error he came up with this:

2-4 potatoes, diced
1-2 onions, whole/cut into quarters most of the way through
1-2 onions, diced
3-6 cloves garlic, diced
1-2 cups cholent bean mix
1/3 cup large lima beans (optional)
1 cup pearl barley
1/2-3/4 cups egg barley
small chunk of flanken (or more if you like it)
one large marrow bone or flanken points/bone
barbecue sauce (Jack Daniel's original is very good)
2 tbsp Osem onion soup mix
1/2 tbsp paprika
2 tsps salt
2 tsps garlic-pepper seasoning
eggs (optional)

Place meat and some barbecue sauce in a sandwich bag to marinate
Prepare diced potatoes, onions, and garlic, and saute in a generous amount of oil. Fattening, yeah, but it keeps it from burning, and keeps it moist without being soupy
Add in meat with the sauce and brown quickly
Add beans to water and bring to a rapid boil. Soak first if you have time.
Drain beans and pour into crockpot
Add potatoes, whole and sauted onions, meat, and garlic
Top with barley and spices
Cover with water
Cook on high for 3-5 hours, the switch to low until completely cooked, another 3-5 hours
Eat immediately or leave on low overnight, up to 24 hours total

Grateful2bhere

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 8:48 am
Carmen Luna wrote:
Once the cholent is boiling already, add jachnun.

Hi, sorry, what is jachun?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 9:50 am
Grateful2bhere wrote:
Hi, sorry, what is jachun?

It's yemenite rolled pastry dough. Some people like to put it into their cholent instead of kishka.
https://breadberry.com/#!/hb/s/1/m/000000/r/4311/he/Brooklyn/kosher-frozen/kosher-ready-food/sabra-jachnun-353-oz

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 12:44 pm
This is my fathers recipe. He taught me how to make cholent as a newly wed and I've been doing it for 17 years . Sometimes I change it up but this tastes good. Get lots of compliments on it.

1 onion diced
7 cloves garlic crushed with a fork
1 chuck meat or any cholent meat you prefer such as flanked
4 potatoes peeled and chunked
1 carrot peeled and cut in half
1 handful barley
1 cup cholent mix (beans)
Ketchup
Paprika
Black pepper
2 -2 1/1 tsp salt
Six cups water

Sauté onion , garlic add meat and brown on both sides. Put in crockpot add rest of ingredients. Turn crockpot on high for 4 hours. Then put on low on low. Hearty appetite

smilealot

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 2:23 pm
Your gonna laugh when you hear my recipe.
Through lots of trial and error this is the recipe that everyone here likes best.

Fry an onion and the meat.

Put into the slow cooker the following
Meat
2 cans baked beans
4 cans potatoes with the liquid

Leave on high.
Put potatoes at the top so they can get the crispest.
Easy simple and yum.

Grateful2bhere

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 6:26 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It's yemenite rolled pastry dough. Some people like to put it into their cholent instead of kishka.
https://breadberry.com/#!/hb/s/1/m/000000/r/4311/he/Brooklyn/kosher-frozen/kosher-ready-food/sabra-jachnun-353-oz

Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics