Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Need exercise ideas

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 6:28 pm
I need to get moving more. The problem is I hate most forms of exercise and therefore have zero motivation to do it. Stuff I do NOT enjoy at all: walking, running, dancing, swimming. I never learned how to ride a bike so that's out too. I also hate being outdoors. Anything I'm not thinking of that I might be able to bring myself to do?

Maya

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 6:55 pm
Do you need cardio or strength training, or both?

Maybe kickboxing, in a class or with a private instructor?

jade

Post Fri, Apr 21 2017, 7:28 pm
You can do weight lifting or bodyweight routines for strength training at home. If you're looking for cardio options, I belive there are some aerobic-type workout videos. You could search on youtube or browse fitness sites like livestrong. If that's not your thing, and you have the space & money, you could get an elliptical or a stationary bicycle for home workouts.

WastingTime

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 4:05 pm
So I found 2 great at home activities (although lately I found it easier to have dh get the kids in bed and the go for a good walk using whatever natural staircases and hills I can find along the way- I also thought I didnt like walking that much but headphones with some pumped up music ---or shuir if thats more your speed--can really make it enhjoyable)

1- There's a gym in Bklyn called Shape (if its still around!) that made frum DVD's (or you can download onto your computer through vimeo). What I really liked about them is twofold-
A- They are practical for a busy mother- they have different short 20 minute videos, so even though its 20 minutes it feels like a full session. As well as not being hard ( I have two left feet) and have no problem with the zumba or kickboxing.
B- the fact that it is frum women, although I usually do it when no one is around if my kids walk in the room or some reason my husband has to pass by, they are not in regular sport clothes (shorts and tank tops) so thats nice. Although I guess some of the women were so excited for their only debut that they are dancing with long sheitels and makeup on!

2- There's someone called Leslie Sansone- she has a walk at home series- I used to find them on youtube but I think they are currently harder to find for free. Some of them are super brainless, but you can do it easily in your own living room and you feel accomplished.

It does feel good to exercise.Good luck!!

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 10:15 pm
Jessica smith has a you tube channel that's similar to Leslie sansone but less boring. she has tons of easy, short workouts (and plenty of longer, harder ones too). Look for Jessica smith tv on you tube.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 10:33 pm
Thanks for the ideas. I will look into some of them. Kickboxing might work. I don't know what type (cardio, weight, etc) I need. I just know I need to get off the couch and do something.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 8:52 pm
You can watch movies or read on a treadmill or bike.

If you don't love something that doesn't mean you don't have to do it, it just means you need more motivation and maturity to take care of yourself.

amother
Green

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 9:32 pm
Some people love Jillian Michaels.

Another idea is trampoline exercises. You can buy a mini one for indoors and find workout videos. If you have young kids, they'll love doing jumping jacks with you (tho that's not a "program").

What's been working for me is making myself a seemingly impossible goal, and then working toward it.

For example, I'm very out of shape and low muscle-toned. I can't do a single push-up. I started doing modified push ups two weeks ago. I'm up to 4 at a time.

My goal is 10 un-modified push ups. And when I meet that, I'll probably raise it Smile

Also running. I can't run more than 30 seconds before I get breathless. I've always been in awe of runners. I'm working toward a running goal right now of 10 minutes straight. And again, when I can meet that, I'll probably raise it.

Actually, this is my second goal. My first, which I started two months ago, was to be able to walk at 3 1/2 mph for a half hour on the treadmill. When I started I could barely keep to 3 mph. (I said I've been very out of shape!)

For me, it's not having exercise as part my schedule that makes me keep it a priority, or even how good it makes me feel (and it does! But there are so many competing interests for my time...). It's challenging myself to meet my goal, and knowing that when I start skipping days, my goal will take that much longer to reach. Also, knowing how good this is for my body. I need to take care of myself.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 10:29 pm
I put a rebounder (mini trampoline) in front of my computer monitor. If I put on a good movie/ show I forget I'm even exercising.... all in the privacy of my home, in air condition. Perfect.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 10:30 pm
I go on my elliptical often. I just have to remember that I hate the first 10 minutes. I remind myself each time so I can get thru the first 10-15 min. After that, I can keep going.

It's ridiculous that this pattern continues each time I exercise. I need to talk to myself the first 10 minutes to make sure I don't quit.

(Anon because I've told people this about myself.)

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 11:14 pm
YouTube fitness blenDer! Amazing videos. All different kinds.

Volunteer

Post Sun, May 07 2017, 11:40 pm
I like Pilates a lot. It combines strength training (no weights though), flexibility, balance, and body awareness.

mamallama

Post Mon, May 08 2017, 10:33 am
7 min workout app is a great way to get started with adding exercise to your daily routine.
For motivation, you can create your own incentives for exercising even if you don't enjoy it (e.g. if I meet my goals for 3 days in a row I can earn x dollars toward a new <insert>.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise