Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Help me choose a Medicare plan. Who to talk to?

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 9:41 pm
I am looking for someone knowledgeable in the insurance/Medicare field who can help me choose the best plan for me, based on my needs.
Perhaps a member of a Jewish community organazation?

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 9:50 pm
Not in the field but I do work in a hospital and have heard the case manager say over and over to never get a managed Medicare plan...stick with straight Medicare. Managed Medicare is good when your healthy, but barely gives anything when you're actually sick/in the hospital. Don't know specific details, I'm sure it's worth talking to someone in the field about -but just thought I'd share that.

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 10:34 pm
amother wrote:
Not in the field but I do work in a hospital and have heard the case manager say over and over to never get a managed Medicare plan...stick with straight Medicare. Managed Medicare is good when your healthy, but barely gives anything when you're actually sick/in the hospital. Don't know specific details, I'm sure it's worth talking to someone in the field about -but just thought I'd share that.

this. Get straight medicare with AARP supplemental health insurance. (not AARP managed medicare)

happy12

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 11:21 pm
Get straight medicare with a supplementary ins. If you have medicaid you do not need a supplement.
Do not go on any medicare advantage plans and be careful what papers you sign. Medicare advantage are hmo plans where you can only see doctors on the plan. And you can only switch once a year.
Regarding supplements.
Plan F is the best plan but most expensive.
Aarp has an option of plan N which has up to a $20 copay and does not cover your deductible.
Global life (which used to be first united)has a high deductible plan F. Which has a $ 2000 deductible but the premiums are under $100 a month so if you are relatively healthy that may be an option.

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 11:35 pm
amother wrote:
this. Get straight medicare with AARP supplemental health insurance. (not AARP managed medicare)

Please explain what this means?

I am getting Medicare as I am beginning to receive Dissability.

Can I still get what you mentioned?

G-d willing, Medicaid will be picking up the cost of the part b premium. Just applied to have that done.
I have straight Medicaid with this.

A MD who only takes an advantage plan (Not straight medicare) would take this, that you mentioned? Thank you

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 11:38 pm
happy12 wrote:
Get straight medicare with a supplementary ins. If you have medicaid you do not need a supplement.
Do not go on any medicare advantage plans and be careful what papers you sign. Medicare advantage are hmo plans where you can only see doctors on the plan. And you can only switch once a year.
Regarding supplements.
Plan F is the best plan but most expensive.
Aarp has an option of plan N which has up to a $20 copay and does not cover your deductible.
Global life (which used to be first united)has a high deductible plan F. Which has a $ 2000 deductible but the premiums are under $100 a month so if you are relatively healthy that may be an option.

Do you have to pay for this supplement, on top of the part B premium?

Would Medicaid pick up co-pays?

Thanks for everyones help!

happy12

Post Sat, Apr 22 2017, 11:46 pm
You have to pay for the supplement insurance separately. However if you have medicaid it will cover hospital copaymen's and the 20% that medicare does not pay if the office accepts medicaid. If your Dr's office does not take medicaid you need a regular supplement or you will have to pay 20% coinsurance on each visit.

nylon

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 12:00 am
For disability it is more complicated. Medicare doesn't guarantee supplementary insurance for disability Medicare.

(Also, Plan F is no longer available to new enrollees.)

IF you are dual eligible Medicaid will pay your Part B premium and your Medicare cost shares (20% for Part B or deductibles for Part A), but you will need to find a doctor that accepts it. How easy that is depends on your state. This often lets you on straight medicaid, so you don't have to pick an HMO through Medicaid that limits your hospital choices.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries