Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Compensation for being bumped off flight

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 11:48 am
I was traveling with my husband and three kids erev yom tov on Delta. We got involuntarily bumped off our flight. The gate agents were extremely unhelpful. They gave us nothing as far as vouchers for food or taxi because we live local. They couldnt put us on a new flight cuz none had room and they sent us to the help desk. The supervisor there also couldnt put us on a flight for that day and we promised 1000 in compensation per ticket. I asked the agent for some proof and she said its coming in email in a few hours. Its almost two week and im still waiting. I keep calling delta and keep being told a supervisor will call me back in 24 hours... Were you ever bumped off a flight? Did you get compensation in the airport or did it come later? Did u get vouchers for taxi or food if you lived in town?

doctorima

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 12:00 pm
I don't think they're legally required to give you vouchers for taxi or food, but they are certainly legally required to compensate you for the involuntary bumping. You should have refused to leave the help desk until the supervisor gave it to you in writing that you get $1000 per ticket.

At this point, if they're giving you the runaround, you may need to threaten legal action or even get a lawyer to send them a letter, though even that will take time to see results. It's sad that they're still able to get away with this, especially after what just happened on United.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 1:48 pm
I've seen people get results when they post on the airlines FB page, tag the airline in the post, and share it with their FB friends. Once people start commenting they usually give you a number to contact them to resolve it. Not always do they resolve it, so you have to keep posting updates on their FB page and have friends and family comment.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 1:52 pm
The regulations do require that they compensate you for each bumped passenger. Save all records of your flight, your bumped flight, and your attempts to call them.

If you cannot get through to them another way, going public might be helpful during a time when airlines are trying their best to minimize negative exposure. If you go public on Facebook, make sure to change your security settings on that post to "public".

mango

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 2:36 pm
Never been in that situation but have had a number of crazy experiences flying internationally and have learnt that if you keep at it you will eventually be compensated. My husband dealt with it and I know it was not easy he kept calling and kept on top of it and one time took to Facebook too but we got some pretty good compensation in the end on more then one occasion.
Good luck!

doctorima

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 4:36 pm
I've read that tweeting to their dedicate customer service account can often get the fastest results. Even if you don't have a Twitter account, it takes only a minute to set one up. Then tweet: I can't believe #Delta bumpted me and my little kids involuntarily, and is now refusing to to compensate as they're legally required! When will they learn from United fiasco? Next stop - DOT! You should hear back from them within the hour after that. Smile

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 6:58 pm
I've never been involuntarily bumped. I have volunteered to be bumped if the compensation was high enough and I was always given airline vouchers on the spot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics