Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What cookbook do you recommend to buy for a kallah?
1  2  Next

mom4many

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 1:07 pm
In theory, I know that Spice & Spirit is the most comprehensive, but I don't think it would be the best choice here because of the lack of pictures & less up-to-date recipes.

She prefers healthy-style and no-fuss recipes.

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 1:12 pm
The Bais Yaakov cookbook or Fresh and Easy might be good ones.

Writergirl

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 1:16 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
The Bais Yaakov cookbook or Fresh and Easy might be good ones.

Yes, love both of these. Consistently delicious, practical and easy to follow recipes.

thanks

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 1:17 pm
My daughter got a kids cookbooks from her mother in law. Simple and wholesome recipes. It was a great idea.

miri36

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 1:38 pm
First silver platter, fresh and easy and BY Cookbook

bsy

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 1:40 pm
I got fresh and easy, but frankly I use google.

workermom

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 2:06 pm
I got the Bais Yaakov cookbook and Dining In. Those are my favourite from my collection of cookbooks (I've been married a drop over a year)

outoftowner21

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 2:49 pm
https://www.amazon.com/Food-La.....=UTF8

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 2:50 pm
The Bais Yaakov cookbook is awesome but not so healthy. If she wants healthy recipes I would go with one of the Daniella silver/Norene gilletz Silver Platter cookbooks.

working hard

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 3:57 pm
balabustas choice

cheese cake

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 4:05 pm
Bais Yaakov cookbook, Balabusta's Choice, Dining In or Fresh And Easy. I have both of Balabustas Choice but like the second one better

ectomorph

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 4:15 pm
Spice and spirit. Plenty of healthy options. I've never made a recipe from the by cookbook but I've made tons from s and s.

The by cookbook is better for fancy food but I would go with spice of just picking one

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 4:21 pm
Take a look at Cooking with Color. I don't have it myself but IIRC it has no fuss healthy style recipes. I remember a lot of the recipes from the magazine she used to write for.

mom4many

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 5:22 pm
Thanks for all the replies! I guess I just better make a list from the suggestions here and check them at a bookstore.

Raisin

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 5:36 pm
My spice and spirit is my most used cookbook. It is really comprehensive. But I am not familiar with most of the others. I've given it as a wedding gifts and people really like it.

She will probably get several cookbooks in any case...its a popular gift.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 6:00 pm
A lot of people don't like Spice and Spirit, especially for a new kallah, because of lack of photos and some old fashioned recipes. But if you are looking for comprehensive that's the one.

For someone who likes healthy I think Fresh and Easy or the Silver Platter are good.
Overall I like Chich Made Simple because it is very easy and results are very nice looking without too much technique required and they taste good. But I don't know if it would pass the "consistently healthy" bar as many of the deserts use pareve whips and such.

If you want to check out the recipes in these books (and see pics of the ones I have made) you can check my website. I have the recipe index listed on the page for each book.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 6:15 pm
Thats so funny- I think of the Spice and Spirit and is introductory cookbook- it is so simple and easy to use and really user friendly- not intimidating at all.

That is always my first choice for new cooks.

Israeli

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 6:40 pm
As a newlywed who had no idea how to cook I loved the dining in cookbooks. The recipes were simple, tasty and they are still my classics I keep going back to 7 years later

isrmss91

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 8:57 pm
I own about 15 cook books. I will say my favorites are the Bais Yaakov cook book, which includes historical information and is a great basic all around cook Book. My second favorite is Celebrate by Elizabeth Kurtz, which is a great cookbook on Shabbos Foods & treats, so no dairy stuff in that one. And 3rd favorite is Silver Platter. Also I really love Something Sweet. which has great tasting and easy dessert receipes. I like to gift that cookbook out to pre-teen and teen girls. Especially if they love to bake. Also honorable mentions to Family Table and Cooking Inspired by Esti Kafra.

balabusta

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 9:40 pm
My absolute favorite comprehensive and healthy (!), is Levana's (Kirschenbaum) The Whole Foods Kosher Kitchen: Glorious meals pure and simple. It is her magnum opus.
It is very low sugar (unlike BY, which I gave away) and more contemporary than Spirit and Spice (still use that one and modify the sugar content).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen