Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Should I take back 20-year-old baby clothing?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 7:03 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Thank you.

I can't believe these little knit things are back in style. I recall them from pre WW2 baby pics of cousins. I hated them then and hated them now. Is this an east coast fashion trend for frum kids? Here on the left coast I see my fair share of toddler boys in cute plain pull on pants and a jersey of some kind. No leggings, no white shirts and clip on ties.

Well at least your cousins wore clothes in their pictures, even if they were knit lederhosen. The pictures of my mom at 7 months old after world WW2 are on her belly without any clothes (professional pictures taken at a studio). That was the fashion trend of the time.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 7:21 pm
amother wrote:
So I'm going through this bag of stuff I just got back, and there's a pair of Bugle Boy overalls. Does Bugle Boy even exist anymore? The overalls are something like this, just in shorts instead of pants. http://www.next.co.il/en/g6a266s1#750262
my 2 year old wore that in pants today. I also have it in shorts. I think it's adorable but I admit I'm the last stylish person ever. ... I bet my kids clothes g and me down were in style 20 years ago

lizard8

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 7:24 pm
I like dressing up my baby BECAUSE he has no opinion. My older sons wants to match him, so I usually oblige, but once in a while I get the cute romper or adorable outfit for him.
Once my kids hit 2.5 they start getting picky about what they want to wear. They care about comfort and style (not necessarily current Very Happy). I have a rule with my kids that we both have to agree on the article of clothing before we buy. I choose the clothing, make them try on at home or in the store and they have to agree. If they complain one morning, I remind them that they agreed on it too.

Stars

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 8:13 pm
amother wrote:
Well at least your cousins wore clothes in their pictures, even if they were knit lederhosen. The pictures of my mom at 7 months old after world WW2 are on her belly without any clothes (professional pictures taken at a studio). That was the fashion trend of the time.

Believe it or not it's the fashion trend in 2017 too. I don't like it, but your baby your choice.

sky

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 10:44 pm
amother wrote:

Naked baby pictures are totally on trend now. Maybe they will put a tutu or pearls on a girl or a bow tie or knit shorts on a boy or cover their bottom in some lace, but otherwise baby skin is in.

https://chayabraun.com/newborn-baby-boy/
https://chayabraun.com/pink-cake-smash/
https://chayabraun.com/brandon.....otos/
https://chayabraun.com/three-month-old-baby/
https://chayabraun.com/newborn.....sion/

(gorgeous pictures by a fellow amother)

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 11:32 pm
Stars wrote:
Believe it or not it's the fashion trend in 2017 too. I don't like it, but your baby your choice.
Butt skin naked?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 6:43 am
Naked baby pics were in from the 1890s (?) to, I don't know. Post war?
Yes, even front. Yes, even rabbinical families.
They started as showing the world that the baby was bh healthy and all.

zigi

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 6:55 am
some 2 year olds do care. they like certain shoes and socks better than others. she has to want to wear the outfit otherwise it can be a wrestling match.

sky

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 12:42 pm
amother wrote:
Butt skin naked?

Yes it is done today.
If you look at some of the pictures above the babies are naked with their bottoms on display.

pond user

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 4:59 pm
Totally did not read all the comment's so I'm sorry if this is a repeat.

I just had my first boy, and aside from using the hand me downs from cousins and baby gifts, I sometimes dress him in his sisters clothes. He wore peach leggings the other day and tonight he's wearing a nightdress (totally adorable by the way).

And so you know, I am bh able to afford baby clothes but I prefer my baby's dressed in very comfortable materials, only 100% cotton/Marino wool etc so I compromise. Some of his gifts (materials I don't like) I gave to charity.

Trust me he doesn't mind a bit that he wears girlie clothes from time to time, being that he's only 3 months old. And only once or twice did someone ever compliment me on my baby 'girl'. But I didn't mind and it was a conversation starter Smile

And just to add further, my mil asked me what I wanted as a baby gift when I was pregnant. I asked for a hand knitted cardigan very much like the olden day style. It looks like something my grandfather wore and I absolutely love it! He wears it daily.

I'll bow out now 😁 mazal tov on your munchkin. Enjoy him while he's small and try not to sweat about what the neighbors would think.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 2:17 am
Well, it was fun going through all those clothes and reminiscing about when my 20-year-old was this age, but I think a lot of it is either being tossed or donated. Not because they're not fashionable enough for a one-month-old baby, but because they really didn't hold up as well as my relative had thought. I chose a few that looked okay, and I worked very hard to remove the stains on some that I thought were cute enough to justify the effort, but most of these are really not usable.

There was one little outfit that survived pretty well, but the pants are so wide that I could easily fit 4 of his legs into one pant leg and it really does look messy. I don't know if it got stretched out over the years or was intended to look like this, but this is one I'm going to donate.

Now I'm off to try to find very cheap clothing for him. I was in Leader the other day but didn't want to spend 30 nis on a 2-piece outfit and the onesie-type for 15 nis did not cover enough for a one-month-old baby, even in the summer. If any of you have any suggestions for where I can get really cheap newborn clothing, even second hand, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Lizzie4

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 2:28 am
If you are in Jerusalem, I have some 0-6 boys clothing I would be happy to lend you (you don't have to worry if something gets ruined) for as long as you need. PM me

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 12:32 pm
Lizzie4 wrote:
If you are in Jerusalem, I have some 0-6 boys clothing I would be happy to lend you (you don't have to worry if something gets ruined) for as long as you need. PM me

I'm not in Yerushalayim, but it is so nice of you to offer. I really appreciate it.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 3:52 pm
I don't get this anti-leggings (aka anti-fashion) sentiment on this site (talking about for toddler girls) especially since many of those against it are probably wearing the same thing themselves for comfort in the winter!

Please tell me what is wrong with my 1 year old daughter wearing leggings? I can understand those who are against stiff skinny pants. But, leggings are so soft, I can't imagine anything else being more comfortable. Please explain?

I understand those who feel pressured by the ever changing styles though there's no blanket rule that old styles were more comfortable.

ETA: Sorry OP for writing this here. I'm just sick of hearing that my kid is suffering from wearing leggings or other fashionable styles.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics