Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Changing master bedroom

#1 Mom

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 7:40 pm
Not sure where to put this under. But just wondering what opinions are on the matter. We need more bedrooms in our house. We have 3 bedrooms upstairs with one being master. We were thinking of dividing that room into 2 and digging out basement making the master there. Is that strange? I would rather not have children sleep in basement.

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 7:45 pm
You will 2 floors away from them. Pretty hard to help rescue them if it was needed.
On a different note, what is the water table like in your area? Will digging down further make you more likely to flood?

#1 Mom

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 7:49 pm
BetsyTacy wrote:
You will 2 floors away from them. Pretty hard to help rescue them if it was needed.
On a different note, what is the water table like in your area? Will digging down further make you more likely to flood?

Yes, but the opening to steps are totally opened. No wall blocking. So I can hear a lot

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 7:50 pm
That still puts you 2 stairways distant from your kids.

Also, you say you want to "dig out" the basement. Does that mean right now you only have a crawl space? Sounds expensive and sounds like you may have to deal with some complications with plumbing, such as bathroom drains lower than the sewer line.

If you have room to add on, a ground floor master or kids' rooms might be a better solution.

#1 Mom

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 8:07 pm
What about if we would put an intercom bet the master bedroom in basement and hallway where children r sleeping and leaving it on at night?

gumby

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 8:12 pm
Add a master to the main floor if you are spending the money. That is cheaper than adding to the second floor

#1 Mom

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 8:14 pm
gumby wrote:
Add a master to the main floor if you are spending the money. That is cheaper than adding to the second floor
zoning doesn't allow that

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 8:47 pm
Or build up? Can u do another two kids bedrooms in the attic?
I wouldn't want to be so far from children for safety reasons.

That's why, although I love a colonial layout, a ranch will only put me one flight above or under my kids - only when they are in their teens though.

#1 Mom

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 9:10 pm
No, cannot build up

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 9:14 pm
Can you extend at all or is your home built completely to the setbacks?

Lady Bug

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 9:49 pm
I'm assuming your only option to expand is to dig up the basement? And that you are familiar with the problems that can come up and are dealing with those issues.

I would not want to sleep 2 floors down with little kids sleeping upstairs. I wouldn't feel safe, unless my kids were teens.

Another option might be to move one of the ground floor rooms to the new basement and replace it with your master bedroom. I.e. move the study, playroom, family room to the basement to clear up space for your bedroom.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics