Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
2 year old does not talk

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 8:01 pm
My 2 year old is supposed to be saying around 20 words but does not say any words except out but it is not clear.

My child gets speech therapy, and the therapist said she has low muscle tone in her mouth and drools so she is not able to speak.

Did anyone have this experience before?
The therapist is correct that she drools, but she does understand some instructions, so I know she understands a lot more even though it seems she understands nothing because she won't repeat words.

Just to give more details, my child does not use the bottle a lot and does not use a pacifier at all. She does have problems chewing though and therefore, she refuses to eat a normal amount which does not help her progress.

Anyone have any experience with a child who acts like a "mute" at 2 years old but does understand some instructions??

Thank you to whoever replies.

anonymrs

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 8:05 pm
Your child's speech therapist should be able to work on strengthening her oral muscles. Also, since feeding is an issues, as well, it may be helpful to your child to pursue feeding therapy, for the purpose of learning to use oral muscles for eating. The combined therapies should be effective.

Does your child have any other health, medical issues? Has she experienced any trauma at any point? How is her hearing?

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 8:10 pm
You may need to look into what other therapies she may qualify for. Also, screen for autism. Not saying it's for sure that, but it's a definite possibility.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 8:52 pm
Please check her hearing. Does she have fluid/wax buildup in her ears? You would be amazed to know how much fluid or wax could affect hearing which in turn obviously affects speech.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 9:10 pm
The speech therapist has said what she think is causing your child not to talk but hasn't given you any recommendations about what to do about it?

Also what do you mean that it seems like she understands nothing because she wont repeat anything? My 15 month old says like one word (I'm actually getting him evaluated soon to see if we can qualify for speech) but it's very obvious that he understands SO SO much. He's able to communicate pretty well and follows many instructions and reacts to things we say. Are you saying it seems like she doesn't understands becasue it's expected that she should be able to answer, or she's not communicating in any way (verbal or non-verbal) or reacting to what you say?

ectomorph

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 9:23 pm
Get a second opinion. Your child needs more help than what she is getting. You want to deal with this earlier rather than later. Speech therapist should not have let this go this long without bringing in more people

ectomorph

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 9:24 pm
My friend's child is similar and had occupational therapy, physical therapy and more

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 9:24 pm
Thanks for the replies. This is op, the doctor did say today that she has wax buildup but didn't say she needs to go to Ent.
I don't believe she has hearing problems because she hears very low noises like when someone in our building is coming (we live on the first floor near the main door), she motions and points to the door.

To, ecru, yes I'm saying that I think she doesn't understand because she is not speaking. But, of course, if I say come to the kitchen ill wash you off, shell go to the kitchen. So, I know she understands but then I wonder why she's not repeating words.

She was approved for once a week speech, and the therapist does work to improve muscle tone, but my child will make sounds (not words) for the therapist but not for me even when I tell my child that I wont pick you up if you don't say up.

Thanks for all the replies.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 9:27 pm
The drool is a bit of a red flag to me. Have you consulted a developmental pediatrician to make sure nothing else is going on?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 9:32 pm
I am an OT, not slp, but I recommend as much oral motor as possible. Teach child to blow bubbles, drink from straw or straw sippy cup several times a day, straw leben and liquidy yogurts. Give Cheerios and pretzels logs. Does child know how to give kisses? Play a kissing game. 2 years old is delayed and garbage in the ears can delay kids speech.
Ask therapist for activities you can incorporate every day to help child's development. Once a week is a drop in the bucket. If you aren't impressed, tell agency you want another therapist.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 10:17 pm
I'm the op, my child gets all the therapies.

Periwinkle, you are right. Teaching her to drink from a straw is good for her and to kiss, but so far she's not closingher lips over the straw so I'm not giving up but I do force her to have yogurt which borich hashrm is helping her close her lips, after practicing like this, ill try the straw again. But, even with the kissing, she is not copying it the correct way of putting lips together. It is a slow process, but the therapist is good.

Thanks for all the replies.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 11:00 pm
I am a speech therapist and the first thing I always recommend to a child this age with delayed expressive speech is a hearing test. You need to rule out any type of hearing loss, even if you think your child is hearing. You also mentioned the word mute. Is or has there ever been any babbling at all?

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 11:25 pm
Neither did one of mine talk til 2, and we were told this child was "special".

I suspect it was my fault because this child was my first and I never spoke to this child, like others do, from the time the child was in the womb.

This child caught up over the years and is married and average.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 1:57 pm
My daughter has low muscle tone in her mouth (and everywhere else) - she didn't speak late but still doesn't speak clearly at age 4. We are bringing her back to speech therapy.

Understanding and speaking are actually different skills. If she understands but can't speak, that is indicative of a simpler problem than a child who can't do either. So the fact that she can follow 1-2 step instructions is a great sign.

Based on the low muscle tone, feeding issues, and drooling that you describe, it does sound like her mouth muscles could be a the major impediment in her speech. And those have nothing to do with understanding. But, that doesn't mean it's the whole picture necessarily, so I would also recommend an evaluation by a developmental pediatrician or developmental neurologist to evaluate her, in case there is something additional going on as well.

If the straw doesn't work, try getting a wider straw. In general, if the therapist gives you exercises and your child can't do them, ask how to modify them so your child can.

Also, working with a speech therapist who specializing in feeding issues (possibly in addition to what you're already doing) could help too.

Lastly, have you looked to see if there's tongue tie? This can sometimes worsen low muscle tone issues in the mouth. The speech therapist should be able to do this.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 4:29 pm
My daughter also has very low tone. It did not delay talking but she doesnt sound very clear. And yes, it also affected eating and nutrition. Can you give a drink like pediasure for extra nutrition? I saw such an improvement with that.
I also use wider milkshake straws to make it a littlw easier. I cut it shorter too so that they have to suck less to get the drink. Star with a liquid and then eventually move to thicker things like yogurt.

catinthehat

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 1:15 pm
you sound like a proactive mother and are trying to help your daughter. I agree with other posters that you should have her evaluated to rule out other developmental delays. Look into training your child to communicate via PECS - picture cards system- until her language develops further to enable her to cummunicate effectively since she sounds like an intellegent child. good luck

Volunteer

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 2:21 pm
How does your daughter communicate non-verbally? I imagine that not being able to communicate her ideas effectively would be extremely frustrating for her.

While she gets therapy for her oral motor issue, perhaps you can start signing with her. The Baby Signs method is popular and effective. Although signing is usually initiated earlier than 2, she may take to it since her speech is difficult.

MyUsername

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 2:53 pm
Signing is a great idea! My friend's son with down syndrome has low tone and barely spoke at all until he was around 4, but he signed great - they started around age 2.

sky

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 3:12 pm
amother wrote:

Also what do you mean that it seems like she understands nothing because she wont repeat anything? My 15 month old says like one word (I'm actually getting him evaluated soon to see if we can qualify for speech) but it's very obvious that he understands SO SO much. He's able to communicate pretty well and follows many instructions and reacts to things we say. Are you saying it seems like she doesn't understands becasue it's expected that she should be able to answer, or she's not communicating in any way (verbal or non-verbal) or reacting to what you say?

How much should a 15 months speak. I thought 1 - 2 words (like Ma or Da or Mor) are sufficient.
Are you expecting more?

MamO3

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 8:04 pm
DS1 didn't talk till almost 3. He understood everything we said to him tho. It was very frustrating for him, he would bite when we didn't understand him. But when he started to talk it all came out really fast within a few weeks.
With DS2 we signed with him. He also didn't talk till almost 3 but bc we signed and understood what he was saying he was nowhere near as angry all the time.
With DS1 I was very worried about his speech, DS2 I was more relaxed, I knew his words would come eventually.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics