Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Looking for delicious brown rice recipes

fo4

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 4:02 pm
I was at a wedding and the rice by the shmorg was so good I'd love to replicate it. Especially because it was brown rice-hard to get that taste good;)
It was at a hall in Lakewood but I'm sure it's a typical recipe from these wedding caterers, it wasn't anything crazy but it was really good!
It was brown rice with some tiny veggies.
Any ideas of how to replicate? Maybe I'm being too vague!

sky

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 4:08 pm
THis is a fantastic baked in the oven brown or Wild rice recipe - but it doesn't have the vegetables.

2 cups rice (wild or brown)
1 Tbsp onion soup mix
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp soy sauce
4 cups boiling water.

Mix all in 9x13 pan. bake at 350 for 1 hr and 15 minutes

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 4:49 pm
You can try this one from Pomegranate.

Quick as a Wink Vegetable Rice

•1 cup brown rice
•2 cups water
•1/4 cup oil
•2 stalks celery, diced
•1 onion, diced
•1 red pepper, diced
•1 yellow pepper, diced (optional)
•1/2 can mushrooms
•1-1/4 tsp salt
•1/2 tsp sugar
•black pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients; cover and bake 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Grateful2bhere

Post Tue, Aug 01 2017, 11:37 pm
This is for non-recipe followers who kind of intuit amounts -

I sometimes bake brown or rice blends (better for non-summer; in summer I try using stove top more, oven less).

Sometimes will take a Near East blend & add 1/2 cup of wild black rice or something (bought in bulk at Whole Foods, kept in fridge) or just Lundenburg blends, or just brown rice, absolutely.

And I just bake it, tightly covered with extra water, maybe 3 cups instead of a recipe calling for 2.
I might add T lemon juice, t soy sauce, some spices, less so if using a Near east blend. If just rice, no spice mix, I might add a T or 2 of (msg-free) onion soup mix.
For little veggies, can throw in very small pieces onion, pepper, crushed garlic, mushrooms; if carrot would chop smaller to ensure cooked well.

If concerned about burning, just use more water & can always bake longer. Like a chulent, just develops rich flavor if baked longer.
I bake at 350 for an hour or so, in a square tin on top of a sturdy something, a broiler pan bottom or somethimg since a lot of liquid going in. Just maje sure tightly covered so the water doesn't evaporate & end up with dry burnt rice.
Enjoy!

OMG!

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 12:17 am
I made vegetable fried rice from binah came out so good I kept on refilling my plate. Wonder if can make that recipe with brown rice. I used basmati. Did anyone see that recipe?

Super Mom

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 4:27 am
Whatever recipe you use, soak the rice overnight in cold water before you cook it.

jewwoman

Post Wed, Aug 02 2017, 4:36 am
I make a baked rice with white rice but u could use brown. Make sure to rinse the rice through before

1 cup of rice
Salt
Pepper
A bit of pareve Chicken soup powder
Turmeric
Garlic powder
Squeeze of honey
Sliced onions
Sliced peppers
Sliced mushrooms
Mix it all together add 2 to 2 and a half cups of water and bake covered. I find a pyrex dish bakes it better.
White rice takes about an hour to an hour and a half. Brown rice probably takes longer.

ruby slippers

Post Mon, Nov 13 2017, 8:53 pm
Super Mom wrote:
Whatever recipe you use, soak the rice overnight in cold water before you cook it.

sorry old thread- but how does this help the rice???

Grateful2bhere

Post Thu, Nov 16 2017, 7:23 pm
eema1 wrote:
sorry old thread- but how does this help the rice???

As far as I know people do this to increase digestibility, like soaking beans but more subtle
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes