Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Updated info about Charleston? Time sensitive

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 12:55 am
Dh and I spoke to some ppl there and I'm not getting a clear picture of the kids situation. It doesn't seem like my kids ages 6, 9, and 13 would have many kids their age.
In particular, my 13 yr old dd.
Does anyone know more information.
I spoke to the rebitzen of 1 shul, she just gave general info. The president of the other seemed to say there are a lot of kids but not acc to his wife.
I'm confused and looking for clarity.
Does anyone live there or can put me in touch with someone else who m8ght know.
Thanks

rachel0615

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 7:30 am
We just visited there recently in order to see the community and explore the option of moving there. We visited the achool,shuls,etc. Pm me and I'll be happy to discuss

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 10:39 am
Thanks, sent u a pm

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 12:14 pm
Bumping up for today, if anyone has info.
Thanks

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 1:11 pm
OP, I can give you information. I don't live there anymore though.
There are three shuls/minyans.
BSBI is downtown. Very few families with young children live there other than rabbi's family.
There is a "minyan house" which is associated with BSBI but developed decades ago for families who wanted to live in a suburban area (ie yards, quiet streets). I don't think there more than a couple of families with young children that live there.
Then there is Dor Tikvah in West Ashley. This has the largest of families with kids. But, still, there aren't a lot of kids. that area has grown since I've been there. The synagogue is new and I think there are families that also go there that you wouldn't say are truly shomer mitzvot.
I think the term "a lot" of children is relative. For Charleston, having 5 families with young kids is a lot.
Your best bet as far as family oriented place to go would be Dor Tikvah. So, make sure you talk to representative, the rabbi/rebbetzin from that shul.
The area is beautiful. Definitely slower pace. I don't know what your 13 yr old would do for school because there are no high school options as far as yeshivah.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 2:29 pm
I spoke to the rebitzen of the downtown shul, and the presidents wife in dor tikvah.
I am nervous about schooling, and also if my daughter would have friends.
She told me her daughter plays with the kids she grew up with, but they're already 19, a bit too old for my dd.
Do you know how many frum families live in West ashley? How hard is it to get kosher dairy, chicken, etc?
Also, I know they're on the east coast, but is it walkable to the beach?

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 2:51 pm
No not walkable to the beach in west Ashley. U can walk to water if u are downtown but there is no beach there. There is frozen meat (empire, rubaskhkin, etc) at local grocer. That is no problem. There is a butcher in atlanta that delivers orders every few months and maybe more often during holidays. Families send their teens to Atlanta, Memphis or Skokie for high school if a Jewish high school is a must.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 4:17 pm
Thanks powder blue!
Rachel I did not get ur pm with the info.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 4:49 pm
Pardon my ignorance....is this in SC? WV? Where?

doctorima

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 6:48 pm
Not OP, but it's about Charleston, SC. There's no sizeable frum community anywhere in WV.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating