Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Nursing and drinking - 15 month old

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 9:54 am
- Does a 15 month toddler nursing get any nutrients or is it just comfort\bonding\hydration?
- How important is drinking red milk at this age (assuming you don't think milk is bad)?
- How do you get a toddler to drink milk when they don't take a bottle and don't love the sippy cup and can only drink a little from a regular cup (she takes a little water in a cup by supper).

Thanks.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 10:05 am
yes - getting nutrients from breast milk. No - cow milk is not required - but introducing dairy via cheese or yogurt is a good idea. If baby never drank from a bottle, don't introduce one now. Try a the sippy cup with a straw. we liked Munchkin Click Lock Weighted Flexi-Straw Cup.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 10:19 am
Is the straw cup easy to bite through? I bought her a soft tip sippy cup and she chewed right through it within days.

Re nutrients - she was recently sick for over a week and wasn't eating or drinking - but nursing a ton - it sounded like the nursing was good for hydration but wasn't really giving her any necessary nutrients - I was wondering about that.

pizza4

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 10:22 am
It's ok to give a little at a time of milk or water in a cup. I did that- my daughter didn't take a bottle and didn't like the sippy cups or straw cups. (In addition to nursing)

water_bear88

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 10:42 am
I think the best part about nursing a toddler is when they're too sick to eat. They're getting hydration with the correct balance of electrolytes, which is especially important if they're throwing up or have diarrhea. The WHO recommends nursing at least until age 2, though that's probably more important in poor countries where children are unlikely to receive all the nutrients they need through solid food available to them.

What's red milk? I say do give cow's milk if you don't have lactose intolerance in the family, or only adult-onset, and your kid is interested. If they're not interested, or you or their siblings had lactose intolerance from pretty early, I don't know if I'd bother getting them into the habit but you do need to make sure they're getting calcium and fat elsewhere.

I agree on using a straw sippy cup; don't know what to do about biting through it.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 10:45 am
Think about what you're saying. Do you really think a cows milk is better for a human baby then human milk?

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 10:50 am
Yes. There are certain nutrients that are only in a mother's milk until 6 months. I forget which - maybe iron, vitamin D. Afterwords babies need to get from other sources.
Am I wrong?

ETA - iron is really from before birth and wears off after 4 months. But still think I"m right about Vitamin D.

water_bear88

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 11:00 am
amother wrote:
Yes. There are certain nutrients that are only in a mother's milk until 6 months. I forget which - maybe iron, vitamin D. Afterwords babies need to get from other sources.
Am I wrong?

ETA - iron is really from before birth and wears off after 4 months. But still think I"m right about Vitamin D.

Just for the record, iron doesn't necessarily wear off that early if you choose to do delayed cord clamping.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 11:11 am
amother wrote:
Is the straw cup easy to bite through? I bought her a soft tip sippy cup and she chewed right through it within days.

Re nutrients - she was recently sick for over a week and wasn't eating or drinking - but nursing a ton - it sounded like the nursing was good for hydration but wasn't really giving her any necessary nutrients - I was wondering about that.

get her a hard tip sippy cup. only breast milk for a week is okay when 15 mo old is ill - but not as a regular thing.. She was definitely getting nutrients from it - but its not 100% of all that is needed... (but cow milk isn't either). However its sounds like toddler is getting nutrients from solids most of the time. You're doing great.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 1:11 pm
There are still nutrients, but it's not enoug hto just nurse without food. Keep nursing if both of you are happy with it.

When my daughter had pneumonia at 22 months, she would only nurse and didn't eat at all for days. They told me it was great because breastmilk provides hydration, as well as some calories, protein, fats, and vitamins. Don't get me wrong, she lost weight and all, but the nursing provided her with enough to get through being sick, and she was able to be home with me and didn't have to be hospitalized.

As far as milk - cow's milk is great, make sure you give high fat milk (3% or 4%), as at this age their brains still need the high fat content for proper development. From the age of 12 months until age 2 years when I completely weaned my daughter, we slowly replaced nursing / pumped milk with cups of cows milk (1 cup at age 1 year, and giving another additional 1 cup every 2 months or so).

For cups - my daughter never used bottles or sippy cups, but she loved straw cups. We liked the zoli cup - the straw was soft and thin and flexible and you can drink from the cup at any angle. I have found the munchkin straw cups are sturdier (both the cup and the straw) but my daughter didn't like it as much (she liked a softer straw better), but they are good cups. You can also try a doidy cup - they are special tilted cups that allow the child to see what's inside so they can drink more accurately - we started using it with my daughter well before a year, and she was completely proficient with it around 15 months.

lucky14

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 2:02 pm
For people who were asking what the "red" milk is: it's whole milk (full fat)

anyway to answer the OP question:
not sure about breast feeding. I'd assume it still has nutrients!
Is your child eating solid food at all? My baby didn't like milk at first and we were told that as long as I'm giving a multivitamin with Vitamin D in it and he's eating plenty of dairy (cheese, yogurt, etc) for the calcium then that was fine (I wasn't nursing anymore at that point when I asked about the milk thing).
He loves milk now though Smile I started by putting a little with his cereal in the morning (cheerios usually) and I guess he got used to the taste of it. He started drinking the leftover milk from the bowl when he was finished the cereal and now he drinks milk from his cup and loves it.
Have you tried giving milk from a regular cup with dinner instead of water sometimes? Does she drink it if it's give in a regular cup?

water_bear88

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 2:10 pm
lucky14 wrote:
For people who were asking what the "red" milk is: it's whole milk (full fat)

Thank you; here that's blue. The red milk here is 1% which is why I wanted clarification.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 3:03 pm
thank you everyone!!
Yes I meant red milk = full fat.
She will only feed herself right now so I think milk and cereal will make a huge mess, but maybe I'll try a little.
She normally does eat a very balanced diet.

lucky14

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 8:52 pm
amother wrote:

She will only feed herself right now so I think milk and cereal will make a huge mess, but maybe I'll try a little.

So I only give him small amounts of cereal in the bowl at a time. When I first started doing cereal & milk I used to put just a TINY amount of milk in and then I started adding more once he got used to it (I still don't pour too much cereal or milk in the bowl at a time though). He still usually ends up eating it with his hands, but if you cover up properly messes aren't SO bad...when he finishes that little bit I put more in. When he finishes the cereal sometimes he drinks the milk from the bowl before asking me for more. He actually just started drinking it holding the bowl himself. it's so cute.

Good luck! But seriously don't stress out about the lack of liquid cows milk in her diet. Try giving dairy though and keep offering it (the milk/sippy/whatever), give vitamins if advised by your doc, and there's gotta be nutrients in the breast milk.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics