Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Manhattan with a 10 yr old
1  2  Next

LO

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 10:18 am
Hi all! I am visiting Manhattan for a day with my 10 yr old daughter, as a prize for something she did. Looking for ideas on what to do.....We live in Lakewood and have come to Manhattan several times, so she did see times square, m&M world, etc. Looking for something more off the beaten path for an intellectual-type kid - she likes museums (we are considering the tenement museum - any reviews?), but we would both like to do something different....She is into fashion a little bit, and I know there is a fashion museum of some sort, but I don't know how un-tznius it is - did anyone go there?
Is there may be something interesting in Little Italy, Lower Manhattan, etc? I personally would just walk the streets and explore diff areas, but with her I feel like I have to have a destination of some sort...

Would love any ideas! Smile

emzod42

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 10:32 am
I loved the tenement museum. There's also a National Museum of Math that I've heard good things about.

LO

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 10:35 am
Hmm...sounds interesting. Anyone been to the math museum? What is there to do for a 10 yr old? Also, what about the intrepid air & space museum?

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 10:46 am
I was also going to say the Museum of Mathematics! It sounds offbeat but it's awesome and 10 is a great age for it. And it's something you (so far) won't find anywhere other than NY.

The Tenement Museum is extremely well done but you'd need a kid who can appreciate the history. Some 10-year-olds would, some wouldn't, you have to know your own. I went with a sizeable group and had our own guide, not sure how it goes when you come as an individual. I think the 10-year-olds among us were interested, but I don't remember because it was a family group and I can't remember who was 10 at the time...

I'd suggest you pick one of those and then have another activity for the rest of the day depending how long you plan to stay in the city. The Tenement Museum doesn't take that much time, I'm pretty sure you just get to tour one part per visit. The Math Museum is right near the Lego flagship store which is fun to visit. The Tenement Museum is in the Lower East Side which has other historic spots you can walk around, there's the landmark pickle store, if you can handle it there's Economy Candy - both pickle store and candy store are the kinds of places that are not exactly destinations on their own but when people tour the neighborhood they make sure to stop in. And there's kosher food in the neighborhood if lunch was on the agenda.

wondergirl

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 11:52 am
Here is a list of places where you can take your daughter, the Diminna Childrens History Museum seems particularly intriguing -- https://mylittlenomads.com/new-york-for-kids

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 12:08 pm
She might like the Met and then you can go to Central Park. You can check if they are having any fashion exhibits. Be careful though about what exhibits you walk through (we weren't!) as there are many inappropriate sculptures.

doctorima

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 12:32 pm
The Math Museum is great and very interactive for that age. I've heard that afternoons are better, because it can get crowded with school groups in the morning, and it's not much fun if you have long waits for the best activities. Another really cool place to check out is called Gulliver's Gate. It's in Times Square and just opened, and is highly recommended.

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 12:33 pm
Yes depending on your sensitivities you need to know where you're going in the Met. A little hard to plan without having been there yourself before. But it's a beautiful place. Based on your remark in OP about tznius in the fashion museum, I imagine you might have an issue with the Met's undressed - and often explicitly so - sculptures. There are specific halls you could be warned to avoid but there are also pieces here and there... like all over the lobby by the food court... and some of the paintings too...I took my kids to the met but 1 - I've been there before with adult company so I had some idea of what to expect where, 2 - they're small enough that I was able to just shove them past certain exhibits without them realizing much, and 3 - I may have a slightly wider comfort zone than you with regard to responding to my kids seeing "inappropriate" things.

The Museum of Natural History is also great and also near Central Park. And if you're looking to fill a bigger chunk of time, that will do it. Especially if you also go for the Imax show which is an hour right there and a good break from walking around the museum.

But the Museum of Math definitely beats all for unique, age-appropriate (not that others aren't, they're for all ages, but 10 is perfect for enjoying MoMath) and interesting for your intellectual kiddo.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 8:55 pm
gulliver's gate

shirachadasha

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 9:00 pm
I've seen Groupons for the Museum of Finance. I've never been there but it looks interesting.

doctorima

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 9:51 pm
We went to the Museum of Finance many years ago. Unless it's changed a lot, it's not bad, but it wasn't particularly child-friendly, and unless that's your daughter's passion, there are so many better things to do with her, especially on a rare visit to Manhattan.

happyfaces

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 12:09 am
I second Gulliver's Gate. Its great for all ages.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 6:14 am
Hi, I'm traveling to NY soon with my 12 year old intellectual DD - so I enjoyed reading this thread. I've been to the Tenement Museum, and I'm taking DD with me this time around. Have DD read All-of-the-Kind-of-Family books before she goes. Unfortunately, My DD's English is not good enough to read it.

I would love to hear more about the math museum - would it be good for a 12 year old with only very basic English skills?

jflower

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 6:49 am
https://www.tripadvisor.com/At......html

Check out tripadvisor reviews of MOM. Some reviewers loved it while some said exhibits had nothing to do with math & employees were disengaged. I guess it depends on when you go & whether all exhibits are working.

doctorima

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 9:54 am
The Math Museum doesn't require any real English knowledge. Technically, you may need to be able to read the accompanying signs with instructions, but as long as you are there with her and can read them and tell her what to do, there shouldn't be any language barrier. It's very interactive. If she likes math, she will love it.

LO

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 10:24 am
Wow, Gulliver's place sounds really cool! I will try it!

In terms of the math museum, what are some things you do there? I personally hate math, so I can't imagine how they could make it fun....Smile

Thanks, everyone!

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 11:07 am
American girl store, Sony wonder.

ProudMommie

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 1:17 pm
Its a disgusting place and even more so for a jewish child!

chanchy123

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 1:24 pm
doctorima wrote:
The Math Museum doesn't require any real English knowledge. Technically, you may need to be able to read the accompanying signs with instructions, but as long as you are there with her and can read them and tell her what to do, there shouldn't be any language barrier. It's very interactive. If she likes math, she will love it.

DD loves math. BH she is very bright and specifically gifted in math. I guess we'll add this to our list. I just hope I can grasp the concepts enough to translate.

doctorima

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 1:39 pm
Sony Wonder closed permanently, so don't go there. The Math Museum is geared toward children, even younger than your daughter. As long as you're there to read the instructions and tell her what to do, you should be fine.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics