Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Toms River and Lakewood schooling
1  2  Next

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 7:07 pm
Where are all of the people coming from not Lakewood places and moving to Toms River sending their kids for school? Do u think the schooling issue will get worse as more people are moving? Is there talk of new schools opening in order to accomodate those moving in?

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 7:10 pm
amother wrote:
Where are all of the people coming from not Lakewood places and moving to Toms River sending their kids for school? Do u think the schooling issue will get worse as more people are moving? Is there talk of new schools opening in order to accomodate those moving in?

There is isn't any talk of opening schools to accommodate them that I am aware of. That is the responsibility of those who are moving.

sky

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 7:13 pm
There are no Toms River specific schools. Or Jackson specific schools.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 7:15 pm
So is there enough space for everyone moving to get their girls/boys into primary? What does getting in entail? Which is harder to get in girls or boys

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 7:30 pm
amother wrote:
So is there enough space for everyone moving to get their girls/boys into primary? What does getting in entail? Which is harder to get in girls or boys

There is not enough space. Getting in entails money, pull and towing the line in terms of school rules specifically mothers' tznius.
Good luck.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 7:35 pm
How much money are you talkinb about. And what will happen to all pf the people moving in now who cant get in

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 7:39 pm
I don't know. But all Lakewood schools have family rules. I don't know if anyone moving to Toms River is really thinking about that yet if they don't have kids at primary age.
I'm not sure what will happen. I'm guessing someone will have to open a school?
There may be more flexible girl schools then boy schools right now. But all schools are packed and new schools tend to be picky becuase they want to set their baseline class so it is hard to get in.
And even when you do get in you have to be happy with the school educations, rules, class size, etc. It doesn't seem like some people care about that.

I'm surprised at how surprised some posters are at getting in. The most typical old Lakewood families have a hard time getting in for years already.

At the end of the day Toms River is still an extension of Lakewood (they don't have any schools, stores...) so you rely on Lakewood for all of that.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 7:43 pm
I believe that it is only recently that the non yeshivish schools have become much more competitive to get into. It used to be that the very established schools were hard and those were easy but now it seems like even those are very hard. What kind of parent body are the non yeshivish schools looking for? And is it unwise to move with kids near the age of primary without knowing if u will get in?

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 7:45 pm
If your talking about chasidish schools there are some new ones. Like bnos Sarah. I read that satmar is also opening one. So the very chasidish either get I to the heimishe like bnos bina and boys it's darchai avoseinu. It's not the typical chasidish so they are fine with it.

But there was always a problem so they all get placed at a certain point. Some kids stay home for. Months. It's really not funny.

sourstix

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 7:49 pm
I had a school tell me that I probably won't be happy here and after a year I will move back where I came from. Lol. I bought a house I was not going anywhere. Anyone who knows me and dh we are not wishywashy type. I make a decision and stick to it.

Anyway they didn't want me so it was a nice reason not to take me. I'm happy where I am.

It's a seriously tough issue here. And in New York it's not better. It's pretty sad too.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 7:50 pm
The extremes are hardest - chassidish and not yeshivish.
Yeshivish or slightly yeshivish is also hard, but there are more options.

And if you have no connection or rav who can help it is next to impossible.
I keep posting this. To get into schools you need to be proactive:
- Connections - you need people to call and recommend you
- Rav - a rav needs to call and put in a good word
- MOney - promise extra tuition every year or a set dinner contribution or even put a ad in the journal the year before
- Tznius - start following the rules the year before. Schools call 4 year old morahs to find out how the parents dress and what the kid is exposed to.

This won't get you into school - but it helps - just applying gets nobody (even if you are old Lakewood) into any schools.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 7:59 pm
How much money/donation would buy a slot in a school?

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 8:13 pm
amother wrote:
How much money/donation would buy a slot in a school?

IF a school doesn't want the family money won't help.

Depends on the school, family means and situation. A new building, 100K, extra 5000\year tuition, Double building fund, etc. There is no set amount or rule at all. I don't think anyone can give you a number.
Not everyone gives money - but if 25 people who fit the school are trying for the same spot - a promise of money can only help you move up the list. Sometimes they will just take someone because it is a good fit for the school regardless of money.
And if a school thinks parents will be a headache rules wise then they may just ignore the money
I think more important then money is to follow the rules in advance. Because if you don't money won't help much.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 8:17 pm
I can just see a new cottage industry of pop up schools for the frum community Jackson and Toms River.

Don't any of these schools have money socked away in an endowment of some kind? It would make sense for a financially stable to open up a satellite campus in Jackson or TR once a critical mass of potential students has been reached.

Last edited by MagentaYenta on Tue, Apr 25 2017, 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 8:19 pm
What kind of school rules are the schools looking for parents to follow- no TV, internet?

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 8:26 pm
amother wrote:
What kind of school rules are the schools looking for parents to follow- no TV, internet?

That, as well as shoulder length wigs, socks/tights, long enough skirts and not too tight clothing, no bright nail polish- all this for moms.
Most schools have rules about color of sneakers, shirts, yarmulkes that the boys can wear.
I think some schools have a no going to sports games rule

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 8:37 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I can just see a new cottage industry of pop up schools for the frum community Jackson and Toms River.

Don't any of these schools have money socked away in an endowment of some kind? It would make sense for a financially stable to open up a satellite campus in Jackson or TR once a critical mass of potential students has been reached.

Its very difficult to get permits to build schools in Jackson or Toms River. Financially it woujld make no sense to fight it.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Apr 25 2017, 8:42 pm
amother wrote:
Its very difficult to get permits to build schools in Jackson or Toms River. Financially it woujld make no sense to fight it.

TY for parsing my poorly written comment. embarrassed

Well certainly TR and Jackson don't want schools in residential areas and they are going to take building codes and certificates of occupancy a bit more seriously then Lkwd ever did. There's nothing wrong with them learning from the mistakes of Lkwd, but there is still property in both communities that isn't zoned residential IF the schools are willing to comply with the rules.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 9:30 am
In Lakewood you find then when school owners open additional schools to accommodate more students (and there are multiple boys and girls schools owned by the same owners) they follow the same ideology - the owners open schools that are run how they want and follow their rules to accommodate more students and children of alumni - I think they would have a hard time opening a school with a different hashkafa and rule set.
Its not like there aren't enough schools for people moving to Toms River - there aren't enough schools Period. Its getting better - but not fast enough. And girls high schools are the worse because they have the most catching up.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 1:07 pm
Just wondering...I see many pple moving to the lakewood area that the mothers/wives dress with a lower standard of tznius then the average lakewood person. Where are they sending to school. I see women with their hair half uncovered wearing leggings with a skirt on top of it thats way above the knee. Where do these pple expect to get into school in lakewood.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating