Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
What size mixer do I need for a 5 lb recipe of challah

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 7:31 am
If I want to make challah using 5 lb flour, what size mixer do I need? Is 5.5 quart big enough? If not, how should I divide the recipe so that I can make the Bracha but still use this mixer?

anotherima

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 8:24 am
I have heard that only a Bosch is strong enough for five pounds of flour. A regular mixer will burn out.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 8:26 am
anotherima wrote:
I have heard that only a Bosch is strong enough for five pounds of flour. A regular mixer will burn out.

Most regular mixers are not big enough, however there are machines other than a Bosch that work. Definitely a Magic Mill, and there are others too but I can't remember the names.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 8:28 am
I have a 5.5 qt cuisinart. How should I work this out? Should I make the recipe two times, in halves?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 8:41 am
If I'm not mistaken, the Bosch is 6.5 quarts. But AFAIK it's the motor not the size that accommodates a full challah recipe.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 8:58 am
ra_mom wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, the Bosch is 6.5 quarts. But AFAIK it's the motor not the size that accommodates a full challah recipe.

I'm not sure of the bowl size, but the popular Bosch (universal model) certainly handles a 5 lb. (flour) challah recipe with ease.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 9:08 am
ra_mom wrote:

Agree with this. My kitchen aid mixer (don't remember if it's 5 or 5.5 quarts) fits all the dough in the bowl but the whole mixer starts rocking across the counter like mad with all that dough. I have no choice but to divide it up. One day I'll splurge on a better machine.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 10:40 am
OOTBubby wrote:
I'm not sure of the bowl size, but the popular Bosch (universal model) certainly handles a 5 lb. (flour) challah recipe with ease.

Yes I have that machine.
I was just trying to point out that the same size recipe made in a Bosch might not work in another machine of similar size. The motor, not just the bowl, needs to be able to handle the load.
Like you said the Magic Mill can also accomodate a 5 pound dough. And there's another machine but its name alludes me.

blondebubby

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 2:15 pm
The Magic Mill does it easily. I use it every week with 5 lb. of flour and I love it.

bumpkin2

Post Sat, Feb 18 2023, 6:51 pm
Is there a consensus if either 5 QT or 6.5 QT is the best size to purchase for making 5 pounds of challa dough?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads