Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
The Single Files - new book

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 6:47 pm
Hi,

Did anyone read that new book The Single Files - a diary of a girl in shidduchim?

I heard its really good - thoughts on gifting it to an older single?

TIA

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 7:16 pm
Never read it, but I would never want that as a gift if I was the older single in question. I don't need books reminding me of my single status, and it's not cutesy at all.
Better get a different book or any other gift or gift card. If she wants to read it she'll purchase it herself.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Apr 26 2017, 8:05 pm
I hear though knowing the girl very well - she would appreciate the chizuk and the book if it is really well written.

I guess I'm just curious if anyone read the book and could tell me if its a good buy....leaving the concept of whether its a good idea to give an older single a gift out of the equation.

TIA

amother
Violet

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 7:15 pm
Bump. Maybe by now someone read the book and can offer some info. about what kind of read it is....Thanks.

trixx

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 7:34 pm
did it start as a serial in one of the magazines? I remember reading a few chapters of it (maybe 2 years ago?). well-written and probably very relatable, assuming the giftee will not be offended or hurt

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 7:39 pm
Haven't read the book but it has a couple of good reviews on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Single-.....5414X

amother
Wine

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 9:39 pm
I got married a little older and would have realy really not appreciated that as a gift.

WWG1WGA

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 9:41 pm
Its a great book, good for anyone go read.

WWG1WGA

Post Wed, May 10 2017, 9:41 pm
*to read

amother
Violet

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 2:52 pm
Yes, the reviews on Amazon do look good. Thanks all and thanks Cherry Pits - I guess youre the only one who actually read it....

debsey

Post Fri, May 12 2017, 3:51 pm
amother wrote:
Hi,

Did anyone read that new book The Single Files - a diary of a girl in shidduchim?

I heard its really good - thoughts on gifting it to an older single?

TIA

It's kind of like giving a new bride a cookbook after you eat in her house. Can be seen as a bit of a tactless gift, even if intentions were good.

Although I liked the book when it was serialized in the local magazine, and I'll probably buy it because I probably missed some installments, I wouldn't give it as a gift to an actual older single. It's not like it's inspirational shiurim about a challenge. Too easy to misunderstand your intentions. Why risk hurting someone?

amother
Violet

Post Sat, May 13 2017, 11:48 pm
Okay, all. I read the book - it's an excellent read and I think my friend would enjoy it very much, nothing to do with the fact that she is in shidduchim.

qwerty4

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 6:29 pm
Currently single and just read this book. It resonated so deeply. Though every situation is different, the emotions portrayed are so real and I found myself with my hidden fears out in the open. Would recommend it precisely if someone is going through the challenge, though of course it depends on who gives it to them.

cnc

Post Mon, Jul 17 2017, 6:56 pm
I enjoyed it very much .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room