Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Curly sheitel questions
Previous  1  2

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Dec 25 2008, 9:58 pm
3 is a terrible Idea, Perm solution changes the wigs color, so you'll have a shaitel with the wrong color when your done. It will be paid for, and you'll be stuck.

ss321

Post Fri, Dec 26 2008, 12:55 am
I didnt get my curly wig from lauren eisenberger I got it from someone in israel. But lauren's are really nice for the most part. she does great curly wigs. I curl my straight ones with curlers sometimes, but after an hour or two, the curls fall and its just straight hair with wavy ends. But that is how my natural hair looks anyway, so I totally dont mind that. The curly one, I got for school, just a more casual look, I wash it, and dont have to do ANYTHING, it just looks great back in a pony, half pony, whatever. Curly shaitels are wonderful, if you are willing to pay the price for a good one. dont get any sort of "treated" hair, or it WILL look terrible.

chanb

Post Sat, Dec 27 2008, 8:03 pm
Thanks for the replies everyone!
I agree perming sounds like a terrible idea! I live in out of town so getting one from Lauren would be alot more expensive for me because I would have to fly in at least once to order it. Any idea around how much she charges? $1800-$2500? over $2500? under $1800? just trying to get an idea.

The one I have now is beautiful for what it is which is more wavy than curly but I can't get the idea of a stunning curly sheitel out of my head. My 2 year old has hair that stops ppl. on the street. It is incredible curls that are model perfect. My hair used to be the same way and I guess it's hard to shake that feeling that I'm a curly girl:) I would have to save for a long time for a good one I guess but it's great to hear from happy owners so I know it's worth saving for.

granolamom

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 9:25 am
I bought my wig from lauren 3 years ago. its about shoulder length (longer is more expensive) and it was $2400.
I called last year to price a curly fall and was told they start at $2200. I bought a clary instead and its not the same. I'm saving up for another lauren. I finally embraced my curls and want the curly curls in my wig.

chanb

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 8:00 pm
Ok everyone.
So I finally spoke to Lauren Eisenberger. She explained to me that they get "curly"ish hair and then do a special technique whereby they can customize the hair either curly, super curly, tight curly ect. She said it is not perming exactly- no chemicals- but it is similar to perming in that it is making the hair look curly.
I asked her if any curly sheitels on the market are made with real naturally curly hair and she said she thought mabey clarie was but that the hair was very frizzy.

Soooo there you have it. I was quoted 2600-2800 for a very long sheitel and would have to fly in a couple times to do the whole thing.
I'm surprised that for all the raves she does not even use real curly hair. From what I understand it is next to impossible to really get true curls for sheitels because the hair is so hard to sew in. But I fail to see how her wigs are different from any other curly wigs on the market.
I'm sure she is wonderful to deal with and the peice looks great in the end, but now I really want to see some people's sheitels if you've bought from her.

Please if anyone could PM me a pic of your curly sheitels I would really appreciate it!!! :lol:

sky

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 8:46 pm
how many times would you have to go in?

granolamom

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 10:38 pm
I went to lauren three times
first time we spoke about what I wanted, I tried on caps and she snipped a hair sample
second time I went in, I chose from a bunch of hair samples for the wig
third time was for the cut

I've had two curly freedas, a curly clary fall and a curly lauren wig. there's no comparison, imo.
the freeda's lost their 'tightness' almost immediately. by two years they were wavy at best. the clary fall went from curly to frizzy the first time I wore it. it looks curly when freshly washed, but a few wearings later, its back to frizz.
my lauren is still tight curls. I wore it 3-5 times/week the first two years, and then I got the fall so now its only shabbos and special occasions, but it looks so real that the last time I wore it, I went into a wig store & the shaitel macher thought I was coming in to cover my hair for the first time.
It does get a bit frizzy in the summer if it needs a wash, but so does my hair, so I'm ok with that. its a curly-frizz rather than the clary which turns into a messy, rats nest type frizz.
I'd be happy to send you pics, but have a hard time getting them here. if you pm me an email address I can send you a pic of me wearing the lauren new, and recently.

I haven't ever seen anyone wearing a curly wig that looked as good as a lauren. tight curls, that is. if you're looking for less than a tight curl you might be able to find just as good somewhere else.

ETA: not 100% true what I said up there, I HAVE seen another super-curly wig, but it was a ralph. and those are even more expensive than lauren. at the time (8 years ago) my ralph-wearing friend spent $5000 on hers. but it was gorgeous. tight ringlet curls halfway down her back. just like her hair.

Last edited by granolamom on Mon, Feb 02 2009, 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total

ss321

Post Tue, Jan 27 2009, 8:29 am
chanb wrote:
Ok everyone.
So I finally spoke to Lauren Eisenberger. She explained to me that they get "curly"ish hair and then do a special technique whereby they can customize the hair either curly, super curly, tight curly ect. She said it is not perming exactly- no chemicals- but it is similar to perming in that it is making the hair look curly.
I asked her if any curly sheitels on the market are made with real naturally curly hair and she said she thought mabey clarie was but that the hair was very frizzy.

Look, I am not a shaitel macher, so could be the info I was told is just plain wrong. I mean, I am sure when talking about really curly hair (I mean like curly like african american curls), yea, its hard to actually sew in the hair, and its easier to sew in straight hair and then use some perming (excuse me, not really "perming" just using "non chemical" chemicals or whatever she told you) technique to get it to look curly. But if you are talking about looser, "wavier" curls, uh, yeah. They sew hair in like that . Im not realyl sure what shes telling you or what they do over in her company, but I dont think she should speak for wig makers worldwide, because there are good wig makers who use curly hair.
chanb wrote:

Soooo there you have it. I was quoted 2600-2800 for a very long sheitel and would have to fly in a couple times to do the whole thing.

IDK what "very long" means, is that like 20 inches? if so 2800 is within reason. It is inconvenient to get a wig from a NY shaitel macher (if you want a custom) if you dont live in ny!
chanb wrote:

Please if anyone could PM me a pic of your curly sheitels I would really appreciate it!!! LOL

Im going to look thru the pics I have on my computer (not many) and bli neder find one that does it justice.... Smile

sky

Post Tue, Jan 27 2009, 11:52 am
I'd love to see a picture of the Lauren Eisenberger sheitel. I can't even imagine what a curly sheitel like that would look like. I'm begining to think that the Freeda would work for me.
I don't need a custom sheitel (I'm very happy with my out of box sheitels I have now).

I actually just saw someone wearing a mazali curly sheitel (was more wavy) in a half pony. And it looked great.

I'm so confused about what to do. It is so much money to spend. I want to get it right.

SmileUrJewish

Post Tue, Apr 07 2015, 12:16 pm
I know that this thread is from years ago, but I just want to put it out there that I bought a straight sheitel and had it permed, and I have never been happier with my sheitel. It is incredibly natural-looking, easy to work with, and only added $250 to the price of a straight sheitel. I really recommend this process to my fellow curly-girls, especially the ones who live out of town or who are on a budget. I finally feel like myself again now that I have my curls back!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels