Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Please help me figure out what I can do!

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Apr 28 2017, 2:57 pm
I really don't like my job. I'm a teacher. I would like to take some kind of course to learn a skill, however I don't have a lot of money to put towards this, or many hours, as I am still working.
Nothing like accounting... Something more creative. Graphics? Fine art? Please tell me any information about this or other such things!

zaq

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 12:31 am
Consult a vocational guidance counselor, who will assess your interests and abilities and suggest compatible fields rather than throw names of random professions at you. Also you might want to be a bit more specific than "creative field". There are many types of creativity, from acting to comedy to writing to fashion to art to cooking and beyond. I have always considered teaching to be a highly creative field, and the best teachers IME tend to be the most creative.

zaq

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 12:44 am
Also, are you sure you hate teaching? Maybe what you really hate is the administration, the type of school you're in, the community in which you teach or the subject/s you're teaching? Or the age of students you're teaching? Maybe you would be happier if you got out of the classroom and into something like resource room in which you work with just a few kids at a time, or got licensed in a specialty like teaching reading.

A vocational counselor should also be able to advise you about alternatives to the kind of teaching you're doing now.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Apr 30 2017, 9:25 pm
Thanks, zaq. No, I'm not sure that I hate teaching... I am having difficulty with the administration, and my co-teacher has little experience and we don't see eye to eye on many things. I might like an older class more as well...
The thing is, I also don't have much experience. I worked only two years as an assistant (preschool).
I definitely see how a teacher can be creative but an assistant? She used some of my ideas, and I feel like I have more to offer but she likes doing things her way and I don't want to step on toes. Anyway, I don't know if I want to have all the responsibilities of the teacher.
I am terribly unsure. I'm not changing professions now, but I don't want to stay here forever.
Do you think that I should go for a ba in education? Get a job like title one? Or a different direction?
(I have nothing more than a diploma!)
How do I even find a vocational guidance counselor??
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics